Shaving

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So a few months ago I read a few articles and decided to stop using ANY shaving cream/lubricant of any kind while shaving(other than water). I've been a DE shaver for a few years now, using feather blades.

I'd have to say, the results are pretty nice. I shave my face every single day during the work week(I shave in the shower) and shave my head probably twice a week on average. My face has always been pretty sensitive, I could always shave with the grain(WTG) with no real issues, but any cross(XTG)/against(ATG) the grain shaving would always result in razor burn/red bumps, and I'd look like a 16 year old with acne on my neck for a day or two afterwards.

Without any shaving cream, I can actually do WTG, and XTG with no issues at all(still cant do ATG without irritation), so that's some nice progress. My facial hair is really dark and coarse, so if I only shave WTG, I look like I need to shave again by noon, my 5'oclock shadow comes quick. The XTG helps push that back some, getting slightly closer.

Not to mention, no more purchasing shaving cream is nice.

The only downside at all that I've come across is with shaving my head. If I wait too long and go 4-5 days and I'm shaving some longer growth, the razor tends to get clogged easier/harder to rinse without shaving cream. It's like shaving cream makes hair stick to it, and then rinses off easier, rather than trying to rinse just hair shavings alone from a razor. No issues with facial stubble, it never gets long enough to clog, but the head definitely can if I don't stay on top of it and shave at least every 3rd or 4th day.

Siliconemelons

The answer of "no, as the laser only interacts with the hair!" is not really acceptable as- technically, all working as it should, all being even - the edge of our current razors "only interact with the hair" but we all know how that goes. An answer of something like "the power/whatever of the laser is specifically tuned to only have the ability to sheer an object of (insert thickest standard human hair here #) and is harmless to skin." would be more reassuring.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm picturing accidentally peeling off thin layers of my cheeks like skin off an apple.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Man, really tempted to go in with a buddy on that kickstarter. They need to show it in action!
yea if they show a neckbeard stare in the camera (cuz it's no razors so you don't have to watch your face really) and just shave half his face like normal, i'm fucking in. Right now it's just 3 guys talking shit, a gif and some doctor holding an engineering sample talking shit about some 1990s laser.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The more I think about it, the more I'm sure this thing doesn't work worth a shit. If it did what they claim it would be the holy fucking grail of shaving. No video of the shaver in action, everyone in the kickstarter has a fucking beard, not even a demo of the actual working device on a fucking arm or a god damn cat. Will not back.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but at least it's topical.

Baby-Faced Men Opt for Beard Transplants

I did not know that was a thing. I've got plenty of facial hair, but I'm losing it up top pretty quick.
frown.png

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why would anyone else back that? They already have 3.5 million on an original goal of $160,000!!! They don't need more money!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'd pay good money for the exact opposite...make my facial hair never grow again. Shaving every day is a pain in the ass, I wouldn't miss it at all.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I hate shaving too. Which is why I rock a sweet, sweet beard.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I wish that I could just grow a 2-3 day stubble, and it would just stay that way. That would be swell.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I wish that I could just grow a 2-3 day stubble, and it would just stay that way. That would be swell.
I rocked the 2 day stubble for a few years. I just got one of those shitty foil-head electric razors and used that once every couple days for a couple minutes. It was crappy enough that it didn't come close to giving me a clean shave, but it kept things short enough so I didn't progress into full beard.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I just use a trimmer without a guard once a week, but even that feels like too much work.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I know I'm in the minority when I say this but I love to shave. I love mixing up a bowl of lather in a different fragrance everyday. This morning it was lime. I don't know what it will be tomorrow. I've got about seven or eight. Same with aftershaves. You can't have too many.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So a few months ago I read a few articles and decided to stop using ANY shaving cream/lubricant of any kind while shaving(other than water). I've been a DE shaver for a few years now, using feather blades.

I'd have to say, the results are pretty nice. I shave my face every single day during the work week(I shave in the shower) and shave my head probably twice a week on average. My face has always been pretty sensitive, I could always shave with the grain(WTG) with no real issues, but any cross(XTG)/against(ATG) the grain shaving would always result in razor burn/red bumps, and I'd look like a 16 year old with acne on my neck for a day or two afterwards.

Without any shaving cream, I can actually do WTG, and XTG with no issues at all(still cant do ATG without irritation), so that's some nice progress. My facial hair is really dark and coarse, so if I only shave WTG, I look like I need to shave again by noon, my 5'oclock shadow comes quick. The XTG helps push that back some, getting slightly closer.

Not to mention, no more purchasing shaving cream is nice.

The only downside at all that I've come across is with shaving my head. If I wait too long and go 4-5 days and I'm shaving some longer growth, the razor tends to get clogged easier/harder to rinse without shaving cream. It's like shaving cream makes hair stick to it, and then rinses off easier, rather than trying to rinse just hair shavings alone from a razor. No issues with facial stubble, it never gets long enough to clog, but the head definitely can if I don't stay on top of it and shave at least every 3rd or 4th day.

I need to try this. I can shave every 3 days because if I do it any earlier my face hates me. Will report back my results.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Guy makes fun videos. I watched a few after that. I will try it, but I'm dubious. Suppose I won't know until I do.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
So a few months ago I read a few articles and decided to stop using ANY shaving cream/lubricant of any kind while shaving(other than water)...
What were you using for shaving cream that makes shaving without it better? If you say you get it from a can, that's the problem.