Shaving

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Nivea sensitive skin shave gel is the best gel I've ever used. I preferred it to about a dozen shave soaps + badger brush that I tried, not to mention it's a hell of a lot easier(especially if you shave in the shower like I do).

300.jpg

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's my first week with Dollar Shave Club and towards the end of the week the shave isn't as close on my chin as my Schick ProGlide I was using. Gonna switch to a new blade tomorrow to see if there is any difference, but after a couple of days with their blades it just seems like they wear pretty quickly.
Which tier you using? Their buck ones aren't so hot (but they're comparable to the throw away bics) - the $6 last a while for me though, but my bristle does tend to stay soft with my thin follicles so YMMV. Course the wife gets some for her legs and they last her a while, and she's got thick follicles.

Also keep in mind, they suggest changing them once a week for most people - thus why they send 4 (or 5 in the case of the cheapies) a month - I can squeeze 2 months out of mine when I'm not goateeing (like 4 months right now since I am though) and wife can get a week out of each for her side of the equation.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I also use the $6 plan but only have them sent every other month. It works fine for me but my beard is pretty thin and I usually only shave a couple times a week if I'm not going somewhere.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Nivea sensitive skin shave gel is the best gel I've ever used. I preferred it to about a dozen shave soaps + badger brush that I tried, not to mention it's a hell of a lot easier(especially if you shave in the shower like I do).

300.jpg
Thanks, I had used that back in high school but forgot all about it. Another question, anyone have issues with Feather blades and Merkur handles? The blades float around on the pegs, so I have to perfectly center it and tighten it, otherwise one side is super aggressive and the other hardly cuts. Is there a better handle for use with Feather blades, that they fit snugly on the pegs?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Mine have always fit fine. Not sure what is going on. But like joeboo I bought a 100 pack a while back so haven't replenished stock in a while.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Mine have always fit fine. Not sure what is going on. But like joeboo I bought a 100 pack a while back so haven't replenished stock in a while.
Im using Astra's right now and they fit better. Really only had issues with Feather out of the 5 or so I've tried.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Astra's are the brand I settled on after trying a bunch. Of all the threads this community has ever produced, this thread literally changed my life. I can't imagine going back to shaving with a standard Mach 3 or whatever equivalent razor. Since switching, I get closer shaves and absolutely zero irritation/bumps, and very few cuts. Not to mention saving a ton of money, and I use a new razor every other day.

Anyone not using a DE razor is a fool.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
absolutely zero irritation/bumps, and very few cuts.
Do you have sensitive skin? I don't get irritation/bumps/cuts even when I'm using a 3 month old Mach 3 blade. Do I have a superpower that I was unaware of?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
When I used a Mach 3/Fusion/whatever cartridge razor, my neck would look like a 14 year olds face, constant red bumps and irritation on anything beyond the first shave or two with a new cartridge. Sure, I could have used a new cartridge for every single shave, but I'm not Bill Gates. Ever since I switched to a DE razor + feather blades about 2 years ago, zero irritation anymore and I shave 7 days a week, I swap my razor blade out each week. I also shave my head with the DE/Feather blade combo about twice a week. Nothing bleeds like a cut to the skull from a crazy sharp feather blade. Holy hell.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
can' you DE/feather razor blade ppl use a strop like this

Amazon.com: Flexcut Knife Strop: Home Improvement

with the compound it's basically like a 30k grit stone, sometimes i'll use it on my kitchen knives when ppl are over and ask "how sharp". maybe i'll get into de razors and such to test out the sharpening. (at present i just use a beard trimmer and keep a 5oclock shadow i have horrible skin and irritation)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Id assume you probably could, there's just not much point when you can buy 2 years worth of razors for $10. Double edged razor blades are stupid cheap when bought in bulk

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
oh i didn't realize it was that much of a convenience and pretty cost effective.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I think back a year or so ago one of these were on special for like 40% off and picked it up:Feather Double Edge Razor Blades (100 Blades)

Extremely cost effective as far as shaving goes. I don't shave every day and can usually get away with the full shave once or twice a week and just electric in between depending on my customer meetings. So 100 blades at changing it every three shaves or so lasts a damn year+.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
And Feathers are some of the most expensive razors, I bought my 100 pack for about $20 on Amazon, but you can get 100 packs of many other brands for $8-$10

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
heh my hundred pack lasted me 2 years, only shave once a week since my face is apparently an infants ass.

shopchakra_sl

shitlord
I think the best result of shave to use before shaving lotion soft your shave and second after shave you can use spray. This method use then your shaving easily handle by you.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
These are the blades I've been using for the past year or so.

Crystals/Isreali Personna

I shave everyday and I'll get 5 or 6 very smooth shaves from each blade. I don't use canned foam, but instead whip up a bowl of something every morning and I think that makes a difference. The canned stuff, while convenient, is never as good as a quality soap or cream, IMHO.