Shazam! (2019)

spronk

FPS noob
yeah that was a really, really good short 5 minute video that gives a perspective i never thought about

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
yeah that was a really, really good short 5 minute video that gives a perspective i never thought about

I wonder if they think TOO much about it. Like he made the point how they go outside and put on their jackets, then come right back in and explain the plot point to the little black girl, even though we were told like 30 seconds earlier what is going on. Would we have noticed if they didn't clue her in? I don't think so.

I'm always aware in movies of exposition, I truly enjoy watching how they deliver information to us we need to know.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
likewise could've been explained away as the little girl was behind the others and you just couldn't see her because they were in the way.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So I'm finally getting around to watching this. I like it, but at the same time, I don't. The trailer had me hooked... movie not so much. It's way too "clean". It's almost like an animated movie. NOTHING is dirty, it's all fake/entry level CGI. It's really bothering me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I started to watch this with my 7 year old daughter, and in the first 5-10 min you have the villain abused by his dad and older brother, then the dad dies graphically in a car crash, then you have protagonist Billy Batson "orphaned" by become separated from his mother? Or something. My wife comes in and sees this and asks WTF are you watching? My answer: A DC Superhero movie for kids? My daughter: Can I still watch Aquaman or has Dad ruined that, too?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I started to watch this with my 7 year old daughter, and in the first 5-10 min you have the villain abused by his dad and older brother, then the dad dies graphically in a car crash, then you have protagonist Billy Batson "orphaned" by become separated from his mother? Or something. My wife comes in and sees this and asks WTF are you watching? My answer: A DC Superhero movie for kids? My daughter: Can I still watch Aquaman or has Dad ruined that, too?
The car accident didn't kill his dad.

spronk

FPS noob

kids in china are growing up watching Hereditary, your kids are gonna be weak if you don't show them Predator and The Witch and Bone Tomahawk and explain its all real

shazam is rated PG-13 so kinda on you for not paying the slightest attention. Don't let her play GTA 5 either, its rated M

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
no there's something to that argument. it's rated pg-13, but i don't think that's the right demographic for most of the film. there are a couple of somewhat mature concepts here and there, but generally it comes across as saturday morning cartoon. don't get me wrong, i enjoyed it, and i understood that it was meant for a younger audience than a 39 year old, but i grew up with this stuff so it's nostalgic.

• 1Dislike

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
kids in china are growing up watching Hereditary, your kids are gonna be weak if you don't show them Predator and The Witch and Bone Tomahawk and explain its all real

shazam is rated PG-13 so kinda on you for not paying the slightest attention. Don't let her play GTA 5 either, its rated M
It really is on me; all my fault. I had read any number of people taking 8ish year olds, I think even in this thread, and didn't give it too much thought, honestly. Its marketed, as someone else put it, like Superhero Big, and so I didn't think there would be too much stuff to worry about, particlarly for my daughter, who is video-game savy and most concepts wouldn't bother her at all. And really, its the way its presented, as well. The intro to Capt. America is similar or higher in its body count but far less impactful emotionally, particularly with my wife watching unprepared. Its a rough cold open for something that was very much marketed as kid friendly. And when I saw it was rated PG-13, *I* was shocked.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It really is on me; all my fault. I had read any number of people taking 8ish year olds, I think even in this thread, and didn't give it too much thought, honestly. Its marketed, as someone else put it, like Superhero Big, and so I didn't think there would be too much stuff to worry about, particlarly for my daughter, who is video-game savy and most concepts wouldn't bother her at all. And really, its the way its presented, as well. The intro to Capt. America is similar or higher in its body count but far less impactful emotionally, particularly with my wife watching unprepared. Its a rough cold open for something that was very much marketed as kid friendly. And when I saw it was rated PG-13, *I* was shocked.
pg-13 nowadays means adult "themes" but

instead of gory exploding head
giphy.gif

you get this
giphy.gif

both convey the same msg (he ded), just one will not haunt your dreams.

j00t

the irony of "superhero big" is that Big has this super creepy underage sex scene that no one seemed to think about

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
the irony of "superhero big" is that Big has this super creepy underage sex scene that no one seemed to think about

Back in 1988 I thought about ti quite a bit. I didn't have a problem with it.

• 1Solidarity

j00t

Back in 1988 I thought about ti quite a bit. I didn't have a problem with it.
i didn't either until recently. i didn't think a single thing about it when i was younger, i thought the chick was hot and was happy for him.

then i got older and started paying attention to conspiracy theories about hollywood grooming the public to accept adults having sex with teens and... well.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
When i say I thought about it, I meant that my fantasy life now included finding a zoltar machine (which was a real machine BTW and I have seen some) and being turned into an adult so I could fuck models. To me that was the most important message of the movie. Hurry up and grow up so you can fuck hot chicks. Little did I know how rare and hard to land they are.

• 1Worf

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I rented this last night for Family Movie Night and expected it to suck HUGE DONKEY DICK. Wow I was wrong, so very wrong, this was a really good movie. I am a "casual" (at best) Shazam Fan so I expected a shit show with terrible humor and no plot, I liked everything thing they did including the Family Shazam (being a casual fan) stuff toward the end which I have no idea if it is true to the comics or not. It worked for this movie/story line and opens up a bunch of opportunities for a sequel etc. I give this a 9/10 as far as Family Movie Nights go.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
I rented this last night for Family Movie Night and expected it to suck HUGE DONKEY DICK. Wow I was wrong, so very wrong, this was a really good movie. I am a "casual" (at best) Shazam Fan so I expected a shit show with terrible humor and no plot, I liked everything thing they did including the Family Shazam (being a casual fan) stuff toward the end which I have no idea if it is true to the comics or not. It worked for this movie/story line and opens up a bunch of opportunities for a sequel etc. I give this a 9/10 as far as Family Movie Nights go.
Shazam is hands down the best of the DCEU films.

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users