Shazam! (2019)

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i came in hoping for the best cuz zach was really hyped about it on interviews, came away w/ "campy", cringe. Asked friends what their kids of various ages thought, all liked it.
Yeh this was a kids movie no doubt.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I saw it... the kid Shazam was terrible. The crippled brother was good. Zachary Levi was the saving grace of this movie, he brings so much charisma and character. Overall the movie was weak. Took way too long to get started. I passed out during the "distribution of power" (tired from work). Overall, for me, about on tier with Captain Marvel of "I may watch it again if I'm bored, but I could care less."

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder how they are going do Black Adam, he isn't a good guy compared to Shazam / Superman. Would this be the first "super hero" movie focused on a less than good main character?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I wonder how they are going do Black Adam, he isn't a good guy compared to Shazam / Superman. Would this be the first "super hero" movie focused on a less than good main character?

You mean like Punisher or Venom? They are just gonna portray Black Adam as more of an anti-hero then a villain. Something similar to probably the Riddick character. Selfish and self serving but still having some code of honor.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
DC doesn't have the balls to go for the Deadpool money and make the hard-R movie that Black Adam would need to be done properly.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
DC doesn't have the balls to go for the Deadpool money and make the hard-R movie that Black Adam would need to be done properly.

Problem with a heavy rated R Black Adam movie is what the fuck do you do when you have the Shazam vs Black Adam movie. You can't really make that R-rated because it's aimed at the kids. Plus Black Adam isn't some like psychopathic murderer anyway.

• 1Like

Vorph

Yeah, I have no illusions about them actually making a proper Black Adam movie. It'll be targeted at the same audience as this one, no doubt.

He might not be a psychopath, but he's generally an asshole. And sort of like if Superman never bothered pulling his punches against normal humans. Even mainstream DC stuff gets a lot more graphic violence than usual whenever he shows up.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You mean like Punisher or Venom? They are just gonna portray Black Adam as more of an anti-hero then a villain. Something similar to probably the Riddick character. Selfish and self serving but still having some code of honor.
Not really familiar with Venom, but to me Punisher would be more of an old-school justice type character, while Black Adam would be as you described but also have no second thoughts about killing innocent people to reach a goal. Yet, I could be totally wrong about him too.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I thought it was good even though the comic book physics were really annoying the shit out of me. You can't save someone from falling by catching them an inch off the fucking ground. The forces are still just as damaging as if they'd hit the ground.

He was also really stupid, but then he was a 13 yr old kid so it made sense.

If the magic transforms you into your peak self, why was the old wizard a decrepit old man? Was that his peak form?

Is shazam going to join the justice league?

I never read the comics, but I figured there would be 7 shazams after the split since there were 7 deadly sins and 7 is an important number. How many seats were there in the lair? I never got a good count, but it looked like 7 to me.

Siddar

Was about 7 out 10 for me. Though was clearly aimed at children who may like it more. Had 80/90 feel with villains being scarier then what were used to these days.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I thought it was good even though the comic book physics were really annoying the shit out of me. You can't save someone from falling by catching them an inch off the fucking ground. The forces are still just as damaging as if they'd hit the ground.

He was also really stupid, but then he was a 13 yr old kid so it made sense.

If the magic transforms you into your peak self, why was the old wizard a decrepit old man? Was that his peak form?

Is shazam going to join the justice league?

I never read the comics, but I figured there would be 7 shazams after the split since there were 7 deadly sins and 7 is an important number. How many seats were there in the lair? I never got a good count, but it looked like 7 to me.

I believe there are 7 seats, one for each letter of SHAZAM (as it is an acronym) and one of the wizard himself. I think when he invokes the power, he can divide up all 6 powers, so juice up 6 people. In the movie, they all seemed fully powered, so I am not 100% certain

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I finally got around to watching this and enjoyed it. It wasn't Endgame by any means, but it wasn't meant to be either and that's fine. I have to give them bonus points for having the balls to set up Mr. Mind as the big bad for a potential sequel.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i mostly loved it, it slowed down a lot with the group home stuff, but when Shazaam suped up the other foster kids i was able to enjoy it completely. was pretty fucking badass at the end. 3/10 through most, 9/10 the last 30 minutes. overall i guess it gets a 6/10.

btw the DVD version is out in the usual places.

also for some reason i thought Randy Quaid was doing a cameo as Santa(he wasnt). a lot of people in this movie reminded me of other people.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This was great. Really no complaints, they nailed the tone.

They added diversity the right way. Instead of making Billy or Mary black, added some additional foster kids.

Very fun and I look forward to rewatching with my kids.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I saw this last night an enjoyed it. Nothing stood out as either great or bad for me. I definitely think I would have love it a lot more if I was a kid.

The movie did suffer a lot from being an origin movie though. Now that all the setup is done, I'm looking forward to what they will do. I think there's potential to do something cool with this.

As for Black Adam, I have no clue how they'll handle him so that he fits with Shazam tonelly while still be somewhat comic book accurate.

Fedor

<Banned>

the director's channel:

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users