Shazam! (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Me and the gf saw it, we enjoyed it likely a bit more than Captain Marvel - not amazing but for an origin story it was good.

Sevens

Log Wizard
It was the opposite for me - expected a decent movie, thought it was garbage. It was just a weird mixture of almost-funny, not-badass, not-cute etc.

I know the cheese is intentional, but unlike Aquaman (which I recognize as just bad film but I genuinely enjoyed), I couldn't get into this.

Oh well.
You do know Shazam's nickname yes?
The Big Red Cheese

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I really liked the movie until....

until he gave his powers to his siblings

Then it just seemed kinda hokey to me...like more so than the rest of the movie, which I enjoyed. I dunno, I guess I'm not making sense, it just got too ABC Family Movie for me at that point I guess.

• 1Dislike

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I really liked the movie until....

until he gave his powers to his siblings

Then it just seemed kinda hokey to me...like more so than the rest of the movie, which I enjoyed. I dunno, I guess I'm not making sense, it just got too ABC Family Movie for me at that point I guess.
You serious about the spoilered part? Thats way too cheesy.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Had a few decent moments, but overall I just don't feel like this was a good movie. And for some reason I actually liked the entire third act, which I'm pretty sure wasn't good either. Just way too much of a difference between the him as a kid and as the superhero version. This was clearly a kids movie, even judging from every single trailer they showed.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
That it happened. I can no longer determine if people are just shitposting or being serious.

I knew it was going to happen cuz it is straight out of the comics that the movie is based on. I was more surprised it happened in this movie and not a sequel.

1500w

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I knew it was going to happen cuz it is straight out of the comics that the movie is based on. I was more surprised it happened in this movie and not a sequel.

1500w

I edited your pick into a spoiler. Please make sure to not spoil things yet. :)

And yeah I knew it happened in the comics...it just felt so darn campy here.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
The thing is.. I think campy was their entire goal. This might be the pendulum swinging to the far end where the other end of the spectrum was BvS....

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>

1500w
I didnt grow up with superhero comics so all of this stuff new to me .
Do all of his foster family members get same powers as him or do they split the 6 or whatever powers he has among themselves?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The thing is.. I think campy was their entire goal. This might be the pendulum swinging to the far end where the other end of the spectrum was BvS....

I mean this is the Spy Kids of superhero movies. It's made for the younger crowd.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Do all of his foster family members get same powers as him or do they split the 6 or whatever powers he has among themselves?

There are some "base powers" but pretty much they split them up. Green guy is strength, purple girl is speed, etc...

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

Shazam has it all. So do Mary Marvel and Shazam Jr. but to a little bit lesser extent. One is Faster, another is stronger, and the other does Lightning and is a technopath.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Yeah it's campy, but considering Shazam's whole deal, it probably should be campy and kiddy. This should (hopefully) just be a sign that DC's finally going for the right tone for each character, rather than a general swing in all the movies towards campy.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I think we need to reconsider the pervasive use of "campy" in defending this film. I don't think that is what the problem, or the defense, actually is. Kiddy, as you also used, is far more accurate. And that's not going to get asses in the seats long term.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i came in hoping for the best cuz zach was really hyped about it on interviews, came away w/ "campy", cringe. Asked friends what their kids of various ages thought, all liked it.