Shazam! (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I like the tone, this should be fun.

I hold a torch for DC only because I an a huge Batman fanboy.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
shazam is such a goofy superhero. in all the right ways, so i like the tone they are going. i love zachery levi, but i was a little hesitant because i didn't think he fit the captain marvel part of billy batson, but i got a strong "big" vibe from it and that's always good

Sterling

El Presidente
This is a joke right?
If you mean is it intentionally corny and seems almost like a parody? Then yes, that's the source material. It's a kid that gets basically turned into a Superman clone by magic and behaves like a dumbass kid would with those kinds of powers.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, off the bat, I despise most of DC's properties. They try too hard and rush everything.

That said, this movie looks great. They aren't taking themselves seriously at all. It looks fantastic. Deadpool meets Superman is the vibe I get.
Assuming the next trailer isn't a steaming pile of shit, this will be a first night watch for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I understand what you're trying to say but this is nothing like Deadpool to suggest it's Deadpool meets Superman.

This is the Tom Hanks of super hero movies. Deadpool is the Jack Nicholson of super hero movies.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
This looks like the second best DC movie since Wonder Woman. Are you familiar at all with Captain Marvel (Shazam, if you must) from the comics?

Lol
3056871500_14f7fdff18_b.jpg

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This looks like the second best DC movie since Wonder Woman. Are you familiar at all with Captain Marvel (Shazam, if you must) from the comics?

I know who the character is, but I've never read any of those comics specifically. I'm not saying it's not loyal to the source material because I have no idea. It just looks campy and low-budget. Maybe it'll be great for those who like the character, but I doubt there's anything about this that could make me like it.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Nolanverse is clearly separated from the current DC shit.

You think this is connected and Shazam will run into Batfleck?

Aside from sharing the comic's publisher, it'd have thought this kinda falls into the Hancock/Kick-Ass/Chronicle/Unbreakable&Gass-category of stuff, if at the kids humour scale of things. I.e. movies taking superhero tropes and doing ... something .. with it.

Added to the fact that there're more movies coming out that apparently won't be directly in the Henry-Cavill-Gol-Gadot-verse like the Jacquin Phoenix Joker flick or the Spielberg WW2-Flyer-Squad thing.

Last edited:

Sevens

Log Wizard
Thats not saying much, Wonder Woman was a bottom tier average film. Also it is not the DCEU (that name was actually never official but something media outlets tagged on) it is now The Worlds of DC. The DC Extended Universe Has Been Officially Branded 'Worlds of DC'
This film actually looks like it could be fun, the only thing I dont care for is the suit. It just looks so padded and weird, and the day-glo bright lightning bolt is ugly

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
You think this is connected and Shazam will run into Batfleck?

Aside from sharing the comic's publisher, it'd have thought this kinda falls into the Hancock/Kick-Ass/Chronicle/Unbreakable&Gass-category of stuff, if at the kids humour scale of things. I.e. movies taking superhero tropes and doing ... something .. with it.

Added to the fact that there're more movies coming out that apparently won't be directly in the Henry-Cavill-Gol-Gadot-verse like the Jacquin Phoenix Joker flick or the Spielberg WW2-Flyer-Squad thing.

This is absolutely connected to the current DCEU movies: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman. Hell, the trailer even shows a batarang and a newspaper article about Superman. I would not be surprised at all if there were a Henry-Cavill Superman cameo somewhere, maybe post credits.

Also, fingers and toes crossed for a Rock-Black Adam cameo.

Hosix

All labs matter!
This is absolutely connected to the current DCEU movies: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman. Hell, the trailer even shows a batarang and a newspaper article about Superman. I would not be surprised at all if there were a Henry-Cavill Superman cameo somewhere, maybe post credits.

Also, fingers and toes crossed for a Rock-Black Adam cameo.

The Rock should do Lobo. DC should take the risk and make it badass.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The Rock should do Lobo. DC should take the risk and make it badass.
As much as The Rock sounds badass as Lobo, The Rock doesn't do that persona, or at least he hasn't portrayed an antihero asshole in any film. Yet. At best he did an idiot religious dude, otherwise he's the hero, good daddy figure through and through. I don't even think he fits for Black Adam, but at least I can see that happening. Lobo? Nah, Lobo needs a hard R film and I don't see that happening under WB.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this looks fun. i used to like the Shazam tv show as a very young kid. didnt he tool around in a custom winnebago? and he couldnt go far from it because his powers would weaken? or is that green lantern?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As much as The Rock sounds badass as Lobo, The Rock doesn't do that persona, or at least he hasn't portrayed an antihero asshole in any film. Yet. At best he did an idiot religious dude, otherwise he's the hero, good daddy figure through and through. I don't even think he fits for Black Adam, but at least I can see that happening. Lobo? Nah, Lobo needs a hard R film and I don't see that happening under WB.
Have you ever watched Faster? If you haven't, watch Faster. His emotional range in that movie starts at "pissed off" and goes to "super duper pissed off get the fuck out of his way because he's trying to kill motherfuckers". He's literally out for revenge the entire movie, from start to finish. It is one of my favorite Rock movies.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users