Shenmue III

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I played the first shenmue up until you could drive the fork lift and was like why the fuck am I will playing this shit?! So boring. This series is way over hyped.
Haha, getting the job at the warehouse and stacking boxes for two days...

Holy fuck was that dumb, but it was part of the whole experience man. It was 3 in the morning and I was playing on a roomate's Saturn and I was just so invested in the damn game that I powered on through, then BAM out of nowhere the game picks back up, and then BAM out of nowhere I'm on a boat and SHENMUE WILL RETURN

In my mind I always draw a parallel between that night and another night years later when I was nearing the end of Metal Gear solid 2 and it was 3 in the morning and I was playing on a roomate's PS2 and then BAM out of nowhere, WEIRD ASS JAPANESE EXPOSITION and BAM, none of this makes any goddamn sense and BAM game is over enjoy this convoluted wrap-up.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
$2,271,541 - Brad are you watching this? This is some serious coke money.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
20 million of that budget went into forklift consultation.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I don't think most people will claim that Shenmue was this amazing fun game(it was an "experience", a positive one, but "fun" wasn't one of its goals), most of the fandom has to do with the fact that the series clearly was a trilogy that never got the third installment, 2nd game basically ends on a cliffhanger with absolutely no loose ends tied up, and we've been waiting 14yrs to avenge our father.
0d18d2a1f32ff08621bb85b09eaa6f11.jpg

At last, this feel will come to an end.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't think most people will claim that Shenmue was this amazing fun game(it was an "experience", a positive one, but "fun" wasn't one of its goals), most of the fandom has to do with the fact that the series clearly was a trilogy that never got the third installment, 2nd game basically ends on a cliffhanger with absolutely no loose ends tied up, and we've been waiting 14yrs to avenge our father.
Ah that makes sense.

Szlia

The comparison with GTAIII is not so good. There really is no equivalent to the madness that is Shenmue. There are some elements of it you can find in other games before and after it, but the whole package is pretty much unique to it.

Its core idea is to make a realistic world with a realistic adventure in it. The scale of the world had to be reduced (most of the action takes place in a small neighborhood in Tokyo - technically in Yokosuka, which is part of Greater Tokyo) to allow for an amazing level of detail. You can open all the closets and drawers in your house and they are all full of stuff that makes sense (by opposition to the random junk cluttering an Elder Scroll game), there is an ungodly amount of recorded dialogues for the people of the neighborhood, everybody is going about their daily routine and, very importantly, the game has a "realistic" approach to time and not only in term of night/day cycle and weather. In the main narrative, at some point, you get an appointment with another character 'tomorrow at three', so you have to kill time until the next day at three. That sounds ridiculous, but that highly contributes to the unique feel of the game, to the credibility of its world (I think you can speed time up or go nap to warp ahead, so some concessions were made for playability!).

This is a game where you kill time at the arcades, where you go ask you neighbors if they have seen a black car around, where you are in love with the local florist, where you grabe a coke from a vending machine, where you need to work a blue collar job to gather some info about a gang... it is unique and uniquely ambitious.

colossalFISH

Silver Knight of the Realm
Only Shenmue 2 had the thing where you could speed up time so shop X would open up so you could talk with Y to progress the story. I remember waiting for that fucking tattoo parlour to open in 1 and just dicked around in the arcades n shit until the time came around.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
So I hadn't heard of Shenmue until today. After watching a few videos I seriously don't get it. Can someone show me a video of Shenmue I or II that makes me think those were fun games that make III deserve this level of hype and reaction?
95667ff99bbaa9c349a3d4230916f052.gif

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
^ Huehuehue.

What I don't understand is how they announce this one of the main conferences(Sony's), yet they are still using crowdfunding for it. 2 million bucks isn't going to make this game and I read that Sony has already said it's supporting the game, as far as publishing. Why do they need to do Kickstarter? Is it solely to promote it?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Think it's just to get other investors to bite, contribute more funds, etc, since it looks less risky when people prove their interest with actual money instead of just rabid forum fanboys

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
^ Huehuehue.

What I don't understand is how they announce this one of the main conferences(Sony's), yet they are still using crowdfunding for it. 2 million bucks isn't going to make this game and I read that Sony has already said it's supporting the game, as far as publishing. Why do they need to do Kickstarter? Is it solely to promote it?
Cynical exploitation of the crowd funding platform, using the consumer as a 0% interest loan.

But fuck it, SHENMUE III GUYS!

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
^ Huehuehue.

There have been two trends I have seen discussed with video game kickstarters, especially from more established companies/devs. One is two only ask for about 10% of your total budget as your KS goal. A game cannot realistically be 100% funded by KS, so don't try. Second isn't limited to video games, but it is to radically under-ask, knowing you will get more than you ask for. People dont want to back something that won't get funded, so they are more hesitant to back something with giant goal, rather than a small goal with a bunch of stretch goals.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
^ Huehuehue.

Well, if you care about the existence of the PC version, be happy it wasn't produced entirely by JapanStudio like Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, etc. Doesn't really bother me either way. I'll cough up for the PS4 digital edition, which will probably end up being cheaper than the price on PS Store when it is finally released.

But fuck it, SHENMUE III GUYS!
Also, this. I bought a Dreamcast for the sole reason of playing imports of the first two games. A $29 kickstarter is nothing.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Not this shit again.

Multi-Billion dollar companies abuse kickstarter, news at 11.
More like people that don't understand what they are buying into getting enraged at failing to understand things.

Shenmue 3 by Ys Net Kickstarter
FAQ

Can you make an open world game for just $2 million?

No, we cannot make an open world game for $2 million. Shenmue will be produced using both the funds raised from the Kickstarter and through other funding sources already secured by Ys Net Inc. We are very sorry, but due to contractual obligations, details of outside investments will not be disclosed.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not this shit again.

Multi-Billion dollar companies abuse kickstarter, news at 11.
And again, if Sony funded it 100% there's no PC version, ever. Just think of it as a pre-order, that is probably cheaper than the game will cost in the end. Or don't back it.

Also, boingboing links should be archived!

khorum

Murder Apologist
Hahaha it was just a matter of time until that sense of customer entitlement seeps its way into crowdfunding.

Pre-ordering only implied that you were just reserving a unit for inventory purposes. It was the old consumer model and didn't confer anything beyond that relationship.

Crowdfunding kinda empowers the same shitty, whiny consumers with some notion that they're INVESTORS upon whose fifty bucks this product was built upon. If you thought the tribal jackassery of the old platform wars was toxic, wait till the big guys start locking up their users as "backers" instead.

If Sony is backing them, why would they need kickstarter you ask?

They don't. It's kickstarting as marketing and it's fucking genius.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user