Shenmue III

spronk

FPS noob
Shenmui I & II are out for ps4/xb1/pc, $30 msrp but can be under $20 on pc with coupon codes and stuff. Playing right now on XB1, pretty fun although the visuals are obviously pretty dated, just chunky blocky textures everywhere. I thought the yakuza games were a little pedantic in how much menial stuff they make you do but man this game turns up everything to 10.
it installs as two seperate games, first one was 4gb with a 800mb update and second was 8gb from disc, not sure update size (happened while I was playing).

I was kinda surprised there is english VO, not sure whether to keep that or switch to japanese. Audio sounds a little muffled and odd, and people have said there are a few glitches and bugs. There is apparently a save import from 1 to 2 but there won't be anything like that when 3 is released.

Shenmue III also got a release date today, August 27th 2019 on PC/PS4 (not sure if xbox not mentioned is deliberate or not)

For PS4 there is a free dynamic theme, don't need the game free to all
Shenmue 1 & II Dynamic Theme

spronk

FPS noob
PC version has some good visual support too letting you set rez etc

ni6kBUK.jpg

also just as a note keeping, to get the "good" ending for both games you wanna finish all tasks in I by Apr 15th, 1987 and in II by July 31st 1987. I don't know what that really means but I read that on reddit

Szlia

also just as a note keeping, to get the "good" ending for both games you wanna finish all tasks in I by Apr 15th, 1987 and in II by July 31st 1987. I don't know what that really means but I read that on reddit
Unlike the Yakuza games, time is running in these games. So if a guy tells you to be somewhere the next day at 3 pm, well... you have to be there the next day, but if you miss the meeting, you can go there the following day at 3 pm... so if you spend your days playing Hang-On in the arcade, the story takes more in-game time and, apparently, the ending accounts for it?

spronk

FPS noob
Finished Shenmue 1, and i gotta say... its a fucking terrible game. Boring ass story, boring game mechanics, horrible combat system, bad audio, forced time pacing, everything. Couldn't really recommend anyone play. I get why people put it as an amazing game, for something released in 1999 on a dreamcast its an insane engine and the things they accomplish in game are stunning for that period. It still sucks though for any modern gamer. If you loved it as a kid then for sure you should replay for nostalgia, but for everyone else Yakuza is an infinitely better choice that is a similar game but does everything better.

The port is also really buggy unfortunately, it crashed 4 times on me and at one point I had to flip my LT and RT buttons because it wouldn't let my character run anymore (known, widespread bug). If you don't skip the credits at the end you can't get a save prompt to create a 100% game finish save (to import into S2). Just tons and tons and tons of bugs like that.

I just got Yakuza 2 yesterday and after an hour I'm 100% immersed and into it, whereas I'd rather watch The Last Jedi again than play more shenmue

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
It was decided that the vastly inferior, in every way, distribution platform with far less users would be the best option?

Why not be honest? They gave us lots of money, so we picked them.

Crowdfunded game (cleared all stretch goals) + got money from Sony + Epic.

Hope it is good...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’d be fucking pissed if I Kickstarted that. At least they reversed the refund decision but way to shit on your fans that brought it to fruition.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

The fan did not really brought it to fruition. The team had a producer willing to pay for the game if they managed to do a successful kickstarter for a fraction of the total budget. The kickstarter was really a tool to get pre-orders, to create visibility for the project and to prove to the producer there are many people interested to get a 3rd Shenmue.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
The fan did not really brought it to fruition. The team had a producer willing to pay for the game if they managed to do a successful kickstarter for a fraction of the total budget. The kickstarter was really a tool to get pre-orders, to create visibility for the project and to prove to the producer there are many people interested to get a 3rd Shenmue.
So in other words, the fans brought it to fruition?

Last edited:
  • 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 6 users

spronk

FPS noob

thats prob not great

also the game will be $35 at best buy on black friday a week later

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They did a kickstarter for a publisher backed game, switched the game into a store exclusive, fucking over people that backed it with the intention of playing it on Steam, refused to give refunds until they were forced to and then still shat the bed with that, and now they're embargoing reviews until day of release and two days of release for some regions.

Anyone that gives these people money needs to be fucking slapped.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users