Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Are all restaurants like that? No, and I know that. But I also dont expect a shitty Steak House to be paying their Wait Staff as much as that place "Could". I think its required to tip your waiter/ess or Bar Tender. But that restaurant also made me realize you can do a lot more with less people and you could pay them a reasonable wage.
That's the point. If you can run a restaurant and charge a much higher price point on your food, you're more likely going to be able to pay your waiters a wage instead of tips, but you lose a lot of money. Case in point, if your typical Friday's or whatever commercial restaurant would have to increase food costs to nearly fine dining levels in order to cover increase costs.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
This maybe isn't a bad response. Tipping is an accepted norm in North America. If you're not going to do it, don't go out.

Just an idea.
What, you think I don't have the money? Check out this cherry red WEBER GRILL motherfucker.

rrr_img_70001.jpg

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Fucking America.

I was at the grocery store here in Beaver-land and that same pack of corn was $4.50 yesterday.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Don't make me take pictures of my 49 cent mango or 79 cent pound of carrots. I'll do it.

Hmm, probably should grill the mango.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I still don't get it. If on average I spend $40 at a restaurant and then pay $20 in tips, if the restaurant then to charging 20% more than $40 and redistributing that money equally to the waitresses, how would that hurt the average consumer at all?

If anything it would seem to help compensate for the cheapskates that don't tip.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I still don't get it. If on average I spend $40 at a restaurant and then pay $20 in tips, if the restaurant then to charging 20% more than $40 and redistributing that money equally to the waitresses, how would that hurt the average consumer at all?

If anything it would seem to help compensate for the cheapskates that don't tip.
I'm not going to math this one.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The DnD group I used to play with would tip like that. After the game we'd go to the local 24/7 diner and when the check came everyone just threw in whatever and whatever was usually way too much. I remember one night I ordered the chicken noodle soup. The waitress looked at me and said "you don't want the chicken noodle soup." I said "I don't want the chicken noodle soup" and I ordered eggs instead. I had no follow-up questions.

I consider the months of over-tipping to be well worth it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The worst tip you can leave are those little Jesus booklets. I got a lot of those. I'd have preferred random loose change.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
Robo slop kitchen

Spect it is too early to go long on private prison stocks , quick what do you call an unconvicted felon ? COOK

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
How are you not understanding that that $4 already pays for the increased labor that right now the restaurant isn't paying?
Yup. That $4 per table multiplied by 3-6 tables per hour would justify the cost of the waitress easily.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Sorry, this is just completely wrong. The same amount of money tipless would be coming into the restaurant. Your gross receipts wouldn't be affected at all. Acting like SOMETHING WOULD HAVE TO GIVE BROS is just silly.
I see what you are saying here but you are missing the some of the bigger pictures of the financials of running a restaurant. In Seattle the minimum wage is going from $9.32-$15.00, which is about a 60% increase. Since labor is about 1/3 of a restaruants expenses, a 20% increase in menu prices should cover the difference.

The problem is, every single menu price increase I have ever taken has resulted in a corresponding drop in transaction counts. I raise prices 5%, the number of orders I have coming in drops 5%. The price-sensitive consumers (who probably weren't tipping as much to begin with) will trade-down. While that may seem those things cancel each other out and the same amount of money is coming in overall, lower volumes leave a restaurant vulnerable to economic factors. Economy takes a downturn and you lose more customers through no fault of your own, for example, it can cripple a restaurant with low volume.

Also low volume will negatively affect your food cost. Generally speaking, the amount of food waste at the end of the night is the same no matter how many orders you do. Doesn't matter if I sell 250 pizzas or 500 pizzas on a given day, I will probably have about 10 pizza skins left over that end up thrown away at the end of the night. Even if I am selling my pizzas at an increased price the lower volume will result in my overall food costs being a higher percentage of my expenses, reducing margins (which as am sure you know, are already razor thin in the restaurant industry).

It isn't nearly as simple as shifting how the money is accounted for. Any price increase will have rippling effects over other aspects of a restaruants business.

Finally, there is the employee incentive. With the current tipping structure, that 20% currently coming in via tips isn't evenly distributed. The servers who do a better job (or have bigger boobs) tend to get a larger cut. You build that into the menu price and evenly distribute it the more motivated waiters aren't going to be nearly as enthusiastic and the big-boobed women will find other jobs where they can better capitalize on their looks. Empirically I can tell you the the quality of the minimum wage worker I get today now that we have the highest state minimum wage in the country is vastly inferior to those I used to get 15 years ago.