Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

Hitoyou_sl

shitlord
I've been following this thread for the past few days and I guess I'm not surprised by the responses from most people. Yea it is a mindless job that a chimp with half a brain could do... but to say it isn't stressful? Give me a fucking break. I will concede that working on the line in a kitchen is way worse. granted I have only worked for one restaurant ever but at two different locations. People fucking suck in general. You dicks that always want your glass full are probably also the same assholes that order a diet coke and then proceed to pound the first one as soon as it hits the table. Then you want to look around at me like I'm an asshole for not having a refill for you when I haven't even taken the goddamn order for the table yet.

I am not going to say that there aren't terrible servers out there who have no place waiting tables, but to lump every single server in with those fucking martians? Really? You sound like a real dickhole Rezz. You're one of those "managers" that thinks their shit doesn't stink and you're so above everyone that works for you, when at the same time you're still the asshole that fucks up liquor orders or whatever the fuck it is you claim to do.

Dis speaks the truth. When I go out to eat I want the server to get my order semi correct and then just leave me the hell alone. Even if they screw something up I'm going to leave 20%+ just because I know what its like. When you go out to eat, you as the customer are special but you are not the only person in the restaurant. Some of you should try and take a look around and see what else is going on. If the restaurant is packed and obviously very busy just assume the poor bastard is doing the best they can. It is very obvious when the server doesn't give a shit. If it is slow then you have a legit complaint.

TLDR; Every experience is subject to situational bullshit like what happens at every job. Just sit the fuck down, enjoy your food, and if everything is fine shut the fuck up and pay the man whatever you goddamn feel like.

Valet parking I avoid whenever possible but those mother fuckers are slow and rude and dumb as fuck so fuck them. Doormen/bellhops? That shit annoys me too, I have like one bag and I'm alone, fuck off are you blind?
A friend owns a couple valet services in Cali. Even he says NEVER valet, park and walk a couple blocks if you have to. That shit in Ferris Bueller doesnt even come close to what those fuckheads do to a car. Might as well drill a hole in your trans, sugar your own gas tank and let stray cats use the interior as a litterbox. If you had a cam recording them you would punch them in the throat before ever giving them a dime. Nicer your ride, better chance they will fuck with it.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I work "banquet" nights, which are tuesday/thursday where I work and then sun/mon/wed standard evening shifts. Parties of 100+ usually, so they need the "Heavy" there with 2-3 of those size debacles in the building at once. The owners prefer to manage weekend nights as they are more freeform and I am certainly not about to argue with them as it doesn't affect my pay and I've never had weekends off in 14 years. Can't say much more than that. *shrug* You can take my word for it or not, it doesn't really matter.

And there's more than one position of restaurant manager in most places. GM, Front of house, Kitchen Manager/Head Chef (sometimes separate) and occasionally a Bar manager if the place is big enough. I'm a combo front/bar manager. Not the GM. That guy? Doesn't get days off really. I just herd the shee.. er, waitstaff and bartenders. Like I spent most of today doing!

You guys can go back to pretending I don't know what I'm talking about, though.
Parties of 100+? Where the fuck do you work? McDonald's Plus?

Johnny53

Vyemm Raider
we tend to over tip, over pay.... we overpaid my sons babysitter, because when we needed her, we wanted to make sure she was available, the same when we eat out at our regular spot, we have a certain waiter, he knows he will be tipped good and he makes sure we have an enjoyable evening

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Waiting tables is not easy if you work at a restaurant that actually does a lot of business. You work at a diner? Easy and shitty job. Work in fine dining? Less stressful, but requires more knowledge and etiquette. Work at a commercial restaurant like Fridays? Busy and hard as fuck. Constantly running around, multitasking like a boss, and trying to fuck the hostess is all in a good nights work. I also ran the kitchen behind the line a few times when the managers needed someone to fill in. Waiting tables is harder than working the kitchen as long as you can stand the high temps of the stoves, but thats only in shitty commercial places..

HorrorFK_sl

shitlord
One of the biggest surprises I learned when joining the service industry is Togo orders.
TIP the Togo person if they come outside and deliver to your car. Most likely they are waiting tables inside and have to stop what they're doing to assist you as well. Ask for all your extra shit on the phone, or else the "ill be right back" turns into 3 more minutes due to cycling through your inner guests.

HorrorFK_sl

shitlord
And NEVER transfer your shit at the bar to the table you're waiting on. If the bartender is smart, he/she made your drink better than it would've been at the table. Leaving even $1 per drink is still more than the average 1% tip out the server gives (which your $3 beer turns into 3 cents to the bar.)

Lastly, when you tip on a credit card, the fee to charge your card comes out of the tip. $6 turns into $5.84. Cash is best, but don't use that as an excuse to tip nothing. Calculate that before you consider going out.

Replican_sl

shitlord
And NEVER transfer your shit at the bar to the table you're waiting on. If the bartender is smart, he/she made your drink better than it would've been at the table. Leaving even $1 per drink is still more than the average 1% tip out the server gives (which your $3 beer turns into 3 cents to the bar.)

Lastly, when you tip on a credit card, the fee to charge your card comes out of the tip. $6 turns into $5.84. Cash is best, but don't use that as an excuse to tip nothing. Calculate that before you consider going out.
Ugh, so much misinformation in such a short post. If my bartenders make their drinks with different recipes for tables or bar guests, they know they will not be working for me long. At my restaurant, when a tab is transferred to a table the server pays 10% of the tab to the bar (your $50 tab turns into $5 for the bar, and anything else for the server). Lastly, when you tip with your credit card, the server gets the entire tip. The only difference between cash and credit tips is cash is easier for the server to not declare. Calculate that before you consider taking this persons advice on anything.

Just read your other post too. What shit place do you work where the take out person also has tables?

Johnny53

Vyemm Raider
Ugh, so much misinformation in such a short post. If my bartenders make their drinks with different recipes for tables or bar guests, they know they will not be working for me long. At my restaurant, when a tab is transferred to a table the server pays 10% of the tab to the bar (your $50 tab turns into $5 for the bar, and anything else for the server). Lastly, when you tip with your credit card, the server gets the entire tip. The only difference between cash and credit tips is cash is easier for the server to not declare. Calculate that before you consider taking this persons advice on anything.

Just read your other post too. What shit place do you work where the take out person also has tables?
the key is "your restaurant"....i worked at a seafood restaurant where the f****** greek owners did take the percentage the credit card companies charge out of your tip....we can not speak in generalities, when every place is run different,

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Lastly, when you tip with your credit card, the server gets the entire tip. The only difference between cash and credit tips is cash is easier for the server to not declare. Calculate that before you consider taking this persons advice on anything.
I've been eating breakfast at the same diner for years always get same waitress and she was just talking about how they take the charge fee from her tips (Greek owned).

I only rarely eat out for dinner I hate the crowds but on inexpensive breakfast I don't use a percentage because I think tipping 20% of a $6.00 breakfast is silly. If my bill is low like that I always giver her at least a $5 tip, but big dinner with friends/family always do 20%+ unless they really suck which has been rare. The harder number is how much to tip at the end of the year for someone who provides a service to you a lot. I normally give my regular waitress a few hundred dollars at the end of the year, but she is well worth it has my coffee on the table and my order in just from seeing me in the parking lot before I get inside and is her service is why I won't ever go anywhere else.

Oh and a question to those who live in NJ do you tip the guys who pump the gas? I'm NJ a lot and I think the mandatory full service kind of sucks but I always am conflicted on whether you are suppose to tip them.

Johnny53

Vyemm Raider
I've been eating breakfast at the same diner for years always get same waitress and she was just talking about how they take the charge fee from her tips (Greek owned).

I only rarely eat out for dinner I hate the crowds but on inexpensive breakfast I don't use a percentage because I think tipping 20% of a $6.00 breakfast is silly. If my bill is low like that I always giver her at least a $5 tip, but big dinner with friends/family always do 20%+ unless they really suck which has been rare. The harder number is how much to tip at the end of the year for someone who provides a service to you a lot. I normally give my regular waitress a few hundred dollars at the end of the year, but she is well worth it has my coffee on the table and my order in just from seeing me in the parking lot before I get inside and is her service is why I won't ever go anywhere else.

Oh and a question to those who live in NJ do you tip the guys who pump the gas? I'm NJ a lot and I think the mandatory full service kind of sucks but I always am conflicted on whether you are suppose to tip them.
no way do you tip gas attendants......do you know how much gas i used to visit my whore and drive her around ?

Hamsteroceros_sl

shitlord
I work "banquet" nights, which are tuesday/thursday where I work and then sun/mon/wed standard evening shifts. Parties of 100+ usually, so they need the "Heavy" there with 2-3 of those size debacles in the building at once. The owners prefer to manage weekend nights as they are more freeform and I am certainly not about to argue with them as it doesn't affect my pay and I've never had weekends off in 14 years. Can't say much more than that. *shrug* You can take my word for it or not, it doesn't really matter.

And there's more than one position of restaurant manager in most places. GM, Front of house, Kitchen Manager/Head Chef (sometimes separate) and occasionally a Bar manager if the place is big enough. I'm a combo front/bar manager. Not the GM. That guy? Doesn't get days off really. I just herd the shee.. er, waitstaff and bartenders. Like I spent most of today doing!

You guys can go back to pretending I don't know what I'm talking about, though.
How's your turnover? If it came down to working a single shift for you or eating dog shit every day for the rest of my life, I think I'd eat the dog shit. Being a condescending fuckwit to your employees is unacceptable in any industry, but you do it in an industry where the good days are still stressful and shitty as hell. You deserve bad things to happen to you in life.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I hate people who tip the housekeeping at hotels. It's because of you fucks that they stole my money the one time left it on the table. I'm sure they thought it was a generous tip when they took it, but when I called the front desk and had them ask housekeeping if they saw and took my money, of course they claimed they saw nothing. At that point, they were probably afraid for their jobs.

As for other places, at bars, I'm liable to tip over 100% if she's cute and flirts with me, but that doesn't count. Normally, my tips go like this. If the service is really mediocre, I double the tax. That's 16.5% and the math is easy. If the service is decent, but not great, 20% because again, the math is easy. As it gets better, I'll round up and maybe start throwing more bills on the pile depending on how good it was. On the other end of the spectrum, if the service is truly truly shitty, I will tip 1 penny. Just so you know I didn't forget. One time, I even threw the penny in a glass of water and turned the water upside down on the table.