Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

Krozman

N00b
Tipping is a stupid debate because, at least in America, we set up waiters to fail and they're just victims of societal hypocrisy. Think about any other daily financial transaction you might take advantage of. Sales at a store, an oil change, coupon day....or any business where negotiating is standard (car sales, contracting services, fees of any kind). We are trained as smart people to try to get the biggest bang for our buck and generally don't stop to consider that a store owner's marketing techniques to get you in the door eventually result in cuts to quality or wages to an employee. It would drive you crazy to take into account the big picture of every single financial transaction. If you are asked to pay $10 or $15 for the same product, only a moron pays $15.... EXCEPT when it comes to waiters. If I go to the grocery store and buy produce that I could have got at the farmer's market for 15% more (and lets assume that the quality is the same), who's going to pay that 15% just because? Liberal hippies thinking they're saving the world, that's who. People pay more to ease guilt every single day, when in reality the only things people should be paying more for are (1) quality, and (2) service/convenience. I know the dealership is going to charge me $50 for an oil change when I can get it done at Jiffy Lube for $25. The difference is that the Jiffy Lube guy is a teenage piece of shit with no comparable experience and the cheapest quality filter and oil available. I pay more to get the better stuff because I believe in the long run my car isn't going to be damaged and the job will be done correctly. When I call a lawyer I don't go for cheap. I go for experience and results. Does the quality of my food go up when I tip? Not one bit.

So back to tipping....when a waitress comes to my table I see them as, maybe, the third most important staff member at that restaurant. 1. The cook is whom I am there for. He's going to prepare food that I love and he's going to make it taste good or I SEND IT BACK. 2. The owner is going to make sure the cook has quality ingredients and enforce safety/health standards OR I LEAVE. 3. Waitress/everyone else. these people keep the place clean, take my order and make sure information is passed correctly to the cook. Sure they physically bring me drinks and bread, but honestly any 8 year old can do that. Sorry. Every other staff member I can either leave or send food back, but wait staff are a constant reminder that at the end of my otherwise enjoyable experience, I have to endure a stupid guilt trip and pay more because their employer refuses to pay them properly. In any other context other than restaurants, a normal person would never pay more for that.

If you ask me what I want in a perfect world, tipping applies to the COOK. I'm not visiting the restaurant to tell my wife how clean a place can be, or how well people can pretend to be nice to me. I'm going to eat something that I have neither the time nor the skill to make at home, and for the convenience of not cooking. Management gets their profits from the price of the food. Wait staff should get a livable wage. That's it. If you don't pay a living wage you're only going to attract the lowest morons in the world to work those jobs. Then those guys are going to consistently disappoint you. If you're not willing to pay for quality wait staff you're going to get "barely acceptable" wait staff. Americans deal with so much shit I understand why they never want to tip. Many American wait staff are horrible and don't deserve anything. I've been to Europe twice in the last 15 years, and while I can't claim to be an expert on European wait staff I can definitely say that they are held to a higher standard and it shows.

Any worker should be able to live on their wage. But you want me to optionally contribute to the problem when it's your employer's responsibility to pay you fairly? No thanks. I don't need a guilt trip at the end of every meal. I go there to enjoy myself. I probably currently average about 10% on tipping just so if I return I'm not remembered as "that guy" and quality of food goes down. It's an industry that screws the worker over and it's a shame that people aren't willing to fix it.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Then what? People won't stop dining out. It's not exactly a choice made with money in mind anyways.
Yeah it's not like restaurants is exclusively a north american phenomenon: people also eat out in places where's these no tipping.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No no no you don't understand, if we got rid of tips and increased prices to cover a real wage, restaurants would be going out of business left and right - we'd all be forced to eat at Taco Bell!

Chesire_sl

shitlord
No no no you don't understand, if we got rid of tips and increased prices to cover a real wage, restaurants would be going out of business left and right - we'd all be forced to eat at Taco Bell!
Restaurants have been going out of business left and right for decades. For every person that can run a kitchen and make a living , there are nine or more that think they can. Used professional equipment sales have kept my uncle fat drunk and happy for over 50 years.

Wetback labor in the fields and food factories
The meals and entertainment tax deduction
Farm subsidies
Welfare cash
A seemingly endless supply of warm bodies to throw in the meatgrinder

All these and more collectively prop up restaurants as an industry . Fact is there would be a veritable cuntrage fest if the field workers started making 80,000 a year cause they were all american citizens instead of jose jesus and maria wetback. I would love to see the raging when the average grocery bill quadrupled.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Okay, thought about it more, and I'm still not quite seeing where you're coming from. If wages are roughly 1/3 of a restaurants costs, which appears to be the norm from a bit of Googling, that would indicate that raising prices across the board by 15% would be nearly enough to raise server wages by 50%. What am I missing here?
Payroll taxes for one (unemployment insurance etc.), insurance is another. Then what do you do about raises? Do all waiters make the same amount of money? A great waiter is a true asset to any restaurant. You typically reward them with better shifts, better sections optimizing his income. In the no tip world, you have to give him raises to stick around. Multiply this across your staff.

There are other reasons, labor hours etc that come into play. Waiters off stay late to clean up and restaurants managers don't really care if they clock out to do the work because the labor is cheap. However, if you increase labor costs, restaurants will use fewer waiters. This will lead to sloppier service at times.

There are a lot of hidden costs involved.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Tipping is a stupid debate because, at least in America, we set up waiters to fail and they're just victims of societal hypocrisy. Think about any other daily financial transaction you might take advantage of. Sales at a store, an oil change, coupon day....or any business where negotiating is standard (car sales, contracting services, fees of any kind). We are trained as smart people to try to get the biggest bang for our buck and generally don't stop to consider that a store owner's marketing techniques to get you in the door eventually result in cuts to quality or wages to an employee. It would drive you crazy to take into account the big picture of every single financial transaction. If you are asked to pay $10 or $15 for the same product, only a moron pays $15.... EXCEPT when it comes to waiters. If I go to the grocery store and buy produce that I could have got at the farmer's market for 15% more (and lets assume that the quality is the same), who's going to pay that 15% just because? Liberal hippies thinking they're saving the world, that's who. People pay more to ease guilt every single day, when in reality the only things people should be paying more for are (1) quality, and (2) service/convenience. I know the dealership is going to charge me $50 for an oil change when I can get it done at Jiffy Lube for $25. The difference is that the Jiffy Lube guy is a teenage piece of shit with no comparable experience and the cheapest quality filter and oil available. I pay more to get the better stuff because I believe in the long run my car isn't going to be damaged and the job will be done correctly. When I call a lawyer I don't go for cheap. I go for experience and results. Does the quality of my food go up when I tip? Not one bit.

So back to tipping....when a waitress comes to my table I see them as, maybe, the third most important staff member at that restaurant. 1. The cook is whom I am there for. He's going to prepare food that I love and he's going to make it taste good or I SEND IT BACK. 2. The owner is going to make sure the cook has quality ingredients and enforce safety/health standards OR I LEAVE. 3. Waitress/everyone else. these people keep the place clean, take my order and make sure information is passed correctly to the cook. Sure they physically bring me drinks and bread, but honestly any 8 year old can do that. Sorry. Every other staff member I can either leave or send food back, but wait staff are a constant reminder that at the end of my otherwise enjoyable experience, I have to endure a stupid guilt trip and pay more because their employer refuses to pay them properly. In any other context other than restaurants, a normal person would never pay more for that.

If you ask me what I want in a perfect world, tipping applies to the COOK. I'm not visiting the restaurant to tell my wife how clean a place can be, or how well people can pretend to be nice to me. I'm going to eat something that I have neither the time nor the skill to make at home, and for the convenience of not cooking. Management gets their profits from the price of the food. Wait staff should get a livable wage. That's it. If you don't pay a living wage you're only going to attract the lowest morons in the world to work those jobs. Then those guys are going to consistently disappoint you. If you're not willing to pay for quality wait staff you're going to get "barely acceptable" wait staff. Americans deal with so much shit I understand why they never want to tip. Many American wait staff are horrible and don't deserve anything. I've been to Europe twice in the last 15 years, and while I can't claim to be an expert on European wait staff I can definitely say that they are held to a higher standard and it shows.

Any worker should be able to live on their wage. But you want me to optionally contribute to the problem when it's your employer's responsibility to pay you fairly? No thanks. I don't need a guilt trip at the end of every meal. I go there to enjoy myself. I probably currently average about 10% on tipping just so if I return I'm not remembered as "that guy" and quality of food goes down. It's an industry that screws the worker over and it's a shame that people aren't willing to fix it.
lol, don't you just live in a lovely world.

Quaid

Trump's Staff

Interesting perspective, but inherently flawed. I'm assuming you have no experience in the financial side of running a restaurant.

Paying servers "fairly", and getting a Burger & Fries in the portions North Americans demand, for under $10, just ain't gonna happen. Certainly not as long as North Americans to eat out as much as they do. They demand too much 'value' from restaurants because they are frequenting them far too often and inflating their food expense.

The tipping culture will exist as long as the portion/pricing culture exists... Or restaurants simply won't exist (at least, far fewer anyway).

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Payroll taxes for one (unemployment insurance etc.), insurance is another. Then what do you do about raises? Do all waiters make the same amount of money? A great waiter is a true asset to any restaurant. You typically reward them with better shifts, better sections optimizing his income. In the no tip world, you have to give him raises to stick around. Multiply this across your staff.

There are other reasons, labor hours etc that come into play. Waiters off stay late to clean up and restaurants managers don't really care if they clock out to do the work because the labor is cheap. However, if you increase labor costs, restaurants will use fewer waiters. This will lead to sloppier service at times.

Why, it's like no other business has ever had to deal with any of this before. How DO all these others manage to stay in business? I guess we'll just never know.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
the magic of tips

Draegan just mad he isnt getting the tips for running this site he feels he deserves.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
This seems like a somewhat pointless debate. there is no convincing people who lack empathy and abound with ignorance, that people need tips to be able the pay their bills. all the selfish assholes who decide not to tip have every right to do that and will continue to do so until they die of food poisoning.
Just to clarify a little. i have been working as a waiter or bartender my whole adult life.

I personally enjoy the tipping system. if i come to work feeling like shit and suck at my job then dont tip me, i dont deserve it.
Or, most of the time i come into work and do my job excellently, make better tips that make life good.
One of the main reasons i am in this business is cause I love talking to all kinds of people and trying to make them happy. usually just an attitude like this means i am making 20-25% on most checks(server)

Stereotypes have helped me over the years. when some people come in(camo'd out fat rednecks) i can safely assume that they want 4 bottles of ranch, and that most of my time will be better spent helping customers who have a better history of tipping. And to spend as little time near bad tippers as possible.

Being a server also makes me very aware of how awful some other servers are and i am Quick to write out 0.00 tip if i feel they just lack the most basic skills.

All in all i like it. if i dont earn, it dont tip me. It weeds out all the shitty servers who have to quit.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Interesting perspective, but inherently flawed. I'm assuming you have no experience in the financial side of running a restaurant.

Paying servers "fairly", and getting a Burger & Fries in the portions North Americans demand, for under $10, just ain't gonna happen. Certainly not as long as North Americans to eat out as much as they do. They demand too much 'value' from restaurants because they are frequenting them far too often and inflating their food expense.

The tipping culture will exist as long as the portion/pricing culture exists... Or restaurants simply won't exist (at least, far fewer anyway).
Honestly, burger & fries places shouldn't have waiters to begin with. Just do what Boston Market and Panera Bread do.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
To Eomer, why is it different that you put the 15% on the table at the end with a choice to judge the merit of the service you received and adjust accordingly vs. the restaurant tacking it on in food costs? Same money, one rewards hard work and ability presumably the other doesn't?
Couple reasons. Main one is that it's been scientifically proven in numerous studies that tipping generally doesn't accurately reflect the quality of service. Nor does tipping result in better service. It's a broken system, in that regard. The other main one is that frankly, I think it's fucking bullshit how much tax evasion is done in the industry. I know a fair number of bartenders and waitresses in the bar/club industry, and most of them were making 40-50k a year working 30-40 hours a week, with the majority of their income not taxed. That's just straight up bullshit. And finally, as I said before, I think it's idiotic that customers are asked to subsidize an entire industry's labor costs.

Again, the majority of the planet doesn't have this system. Just North America. It works well elsewhere. Why is the North American service industry a unique and special butterfly?

Draegan_sl said:

And yet the rest of the world seems to have figured this kind of shit out, whether talking about other industries in North America, or the service/restaurant industry everywhere else. Why is the North American restaurant industry so incompetent that they can't?

As far as taxes go, tough fucking titty. "Because tax evasion" isn't a valid reason. As far as raises go, yes, that's the way shit works. If someone's good at what they do, they should get paid more. Every other industry on the planet seems to have figured this shit out, why not restaurants? Don't forget, I'm a business owner too. We have a pay scale based on a journeyman rate, and get this, guys who are good employees who are more capableactually get paid morethan the average ones. The shitty ones get fired. What a fucking concept!

If I found out that any of my guys were going up to general contractors or developers and saying "hey, you know, we did a really good job on that last project. We finished on time and didn't cause any floods or other problems. Where's my tip?" I'd fire their ass on the spot.Because I don't expect my clients to fucking subsidize my labor costs.That's my problem as a business owner to figure out how to properly compensate and retain good workers.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Again, the majority of the planet doesn't have this system. Just North America. It works well elsewhere. Why is the North American service industry a unique and special butterfly?
Well, to be fair, America is the best country in the world (but Africa is not a country), so the clear advantage of the US system basically is that it's fair in one regard:

Tax Evasion in Europe is a rich people thing. If I wanted to evade taxes here, being employed with no hedgefonds to call my own, I'd have to declare a horribly falsified tax report with lots of made up expenses for a high tax refund. I really can't evade taxes directly, only indirectly through off the book contracting, which I currently don't need done. If you want to evade taxes in Germany, you need multiple sources of income, be rich or own off the books bank accounts.

In the US, anyone can be a tax evader! Be a waiter, don't declare all your tips, and voila - you cheated uncle sam out of his money. It's not just for the rich, and all of that would go away if all the earnings of a waiter was a taxable salary

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Why, it's like no other business has ever had to deal with any of this before. How DO all these others manage to stay in business? I guess we'll just never know.
Name me another business that employs, on average, 10-30 employees per shift that suddenly had to adjust price of products or services to make up $10-15 an hour per employee.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Name me another business that employs, on average, 10-30 employees per shift that suddenly had to adjust price of products or services to make up $10-15 an hour per employee.
Its not adjusting the price to the consumer though. Just adjusting the mode of distribution. Taking that 15% and just giving it to the restaurant in terms of higher prices means nothing to the consumer because they are tipping it anyway.