Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

I have a lot of things to hide for sure.. I just sincerely hope that this game is not the way I think it is as far as character control for everyone's sake.

** Edit: Upon further investigation it seems the character follows the center of the camera in this game, so forward movement will adjust the characters position to the camera center.

There's a fairly decently sized list of complaints on ingame mouse sensitivity being un-adjustable and character turning reacting poorly to camera positioning causing for a very sluggish feel. This indicates software mouse, which is shit in every game.

I really hope they implement hardware mouse and character turning fixed on right click instead of camera position before they ship this. That sounds like FFXIV all over again.
Does any non-keyboard turner ever use camera auto-follow? I disabled it even in WoW, which probably has the best 3rd person controls of any MMOG.

Besides, how can you jump through someone, instant snap 180, and backstab someone with camera auto-follow on? How can you side strafe, snare, and bow-kite someone to death with camera auto-follow on?
tongue.png

Vitality

HUSTLE
Besides, how can you jump through someone, instant snap 180, and backstab someone with camera auto-follow on? How can you side strafe, snare, and bow-kite someone to death with camera auto-follow on?
tongue.png
I get your point: You can't do that in this game, you position the camera and then after a sizable delay the character rotates as it moves in an arc towards the center of the camera upon forward movement.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Release 18 is up. Been playing around with it, it's really hard for me to get over this deck system. It just doesn't fit the game at all.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
you can opt-out of the deck system apparently, but as such each spell costs 100% more mana or something gay

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
you can opt-out of the deck system apparently, but as such each spell costs 100% more mana or something gay

Yeah, so it essentially forces everyone to use this awful system. It sucks, because otherwise the game is turning out pretty cool.

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
So is this like E:D where you can basically do everything in single player / solo mode at no risk? In other words, like having a trammel with even less interaction? Or are there some incentives to doing PvE stuff in multiplayer, like better drops, etc?

Also, is housing all instanced and therefore pointless, or are we talking housing placement in a persistent world?

If it's the former to either of those questions, then fuck it.

edit: asking cos potential steam sale means I might finally get round to trying this

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
Played it for 2 hours then got refund for now (hey why not, thanks gabe). Has some nice ideas but just felt very, very dead. And for every nice idea there are a bunch of terrible ones.

From 2 hours play (ie totally not a fair judgement):

Pros

-Some old school vibes, like nighttime being nighttime, talking to NPCs like the olden days of UO/EQ, no handholding

-?

Cons

-Combat is a joke, would be better off completely abstracted in some way than the current floaty nonsense. And that's coming from someone that thought combat in Vanguard was pretty rad

-Doesn't feel like an open world at all. Feels like playing Neverwinter nights, with each area feeling like a map - not even a zone like in EQ which at least often felt continuous with the world, but rather isolated bubbles of content that you effectively teleport between. The "world map" view feels dumb and totally kills any sense of immersive travel. Especially with houses, the villages the player housing seem to be in are just zones you can choose to enter from the world map, but I don't really see why you would unless you lived there. You can move right through the abstracted village on the world map without seeing or interacting with a thing. So yeah, gonna be no such thing as a crossroads (UO) n this game, and no seeing/hearing travellers pass by when you're sitting in your house.

-Having a choice between single player / friends only / fully online is as I feared, no benefit for going into open multiplayer. So nothing learned from Trammel - open MP will be like felucca, and "trammel" (single player) will just be even more rewarding and dull. This makes the game world non-MMO in my mind, just like Elite isn't an MMO despite some claims.

-Boring generic levels with talent points. Was hoping for something at least vaguely along the lines of Asheron's Call, if not something new and original. But instead it's just levels, talents and free respecs. Bleh.

I mean there's definitely more depth than I was able to explore in 2 hours, but first impressions have not led to "UO 2" as some people have claimed. I also have absolutely no fucking clue why they went with a 3d engine. Name one low budget 3D MMO that didn't look and play like a complete asshole? It can't be done. What's more, 3D MMO combat is so tired and lame. Look at how huge MOBAs are, notice the isometric viewpoint, and ask yourself why the fuck would a low budget spiritual successor to UO not go that route. As any dota player knows, isometric gameplay can be just as skill-based and intense as 3rd person, and in fact suits fantasy / heavy melee much better, in general. PvP in 3D MMOs never fails to look derpy on some level. Rant over.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, stay away for now. The combat system needs to be axed. Animations and character models are still pretty awful.

As for the over world map. I can understand why they did it. Having to build everything around in between zones is a huge amount of resources. They don't exactly have the money of a big publisher. It's a fair solution, but one I can deal with.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Crazy how much they struggling with this. Example of trying to be too different for the sake of being different?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Crazy how much they struggling with this. Example of trying to be too different for the sake of being different?
For the combat? Yeah. It just doesn't fit with the game. They keep saying, "just wait and see" but the more we wait, the harder it will be to change.

It kind of sucks because the rest of the game is pretty cool. Some pretty neat zones with really cool atmosphere. They just seem dead set on that combat system for now.

This game has convinced me that if someone wanted to make an EQ like game, Unity could do it.

klepp0906_sl

shitlord
Didn't see a thread for this? I scooped it up since its alpha and it's a one time payment. Seems like it has everything EQ had and real pure mmorpgs except he decided to tack on single player and leave end game as an afterthought.

So jury is out for me. What do yall think? Currently has no true full screen which kills me considering I play at >4k reso so without sli I get an abysmal framerate. It's alpha though so we shall see what the future brings.

Maric

N00b
I've tried pretty much every release of SotA. And while I saw promise, I was never overly impressed. With build R20 and it's player owned towns, trolls, and general improvements, I'm finally feeling myself drawn to the game. My biggest beef now is avatars. They are below average visually and I don't understand why. Hoping avatars are improved by launch. I will definitely be playing this.

For RPers, I think SotA will be huge. PvPers, as combat goes, probably not so much.