Sicario (2015)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My lame ass theater is not going to get this likely because its not family friendly enough. Its an hour and a half to the next nearest theater.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
In a hell hole in North West Oklahoma. Where I lived in Washington it was about the same as well though. Hopefully not for much longer though!

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I had never even heard of this movie somehow. Watched it based on this thread. Goddamn that was dark. Great flick.

Thanks Bros.
One of the most underrated movies of the last few years, in my opinion. Jake Gyllenhaal is an awesome actor. Have no idea why so many people have a negative opinion of his acting chops.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
One of the most underrated movies of the last few years, in my opinion. Jake Gyllenhaal is an awesome actor. Have no idea why so many people have a negative opinion of his acting chops.
I am coming around on him recently, but I immediately hated him due to Donnie Darko (yes, I know everyone loves it, but I hate that fucking movie and him in it), and then for several movies after that it seemed like all he ever did was stand there breathing through his mouth. However, many of his later movies (including Prisoners) were at least good if not fantastic, and he did a great job in them too. I even liked that one where he kept getting put into the same scene on the train that I can't remember the name of. I commented that I didn't finish Nightcrawler because I wasn't enjoying it, but I fully admit Jake did a great job in the parts I saw, I just didn't like the movie.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Him and his sister are fantastic actors. But they must be fuckin weird, fucked up people based on the only kinds of roles they take. Both of them play nothing but some seriously messed up characters.

They remind me of those idiots who try to be edgy and shocking (basically April Ludgate from Parks and Rec) by saying stupid shit they think will make people uncomfortable. Except they actually pull it off.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I agree on the Gyllenhaals' being great. I just watched Southpaw recently too and loved that and most people here if I remember right, hated it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I agree on the Gyllenhaals' being great. I just watched Southpaw recently too and loved that and most people here if I remember right, hated it.
Southpaw made me feel shitty in a way that I don't think any other movie has. The main character made so many terrible decisions that are both understandable and fantastical unbelievable. I'm still not sure if I liked it. And somehow, even though it was like a 3 hour movie, it still felt rushed.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
This was a great movie, didn't go where I think it would. Great direction, actors, script, cinematography.. 9/10

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I liked this well enough, but it lacked a little something to be really great in my mind. I can't say what it was exactly. The acting was great, and I love Emily Blunt. I'm not a huge fan of Benicio del Toro, but I thought he was fabulous in this movie. But I don't know, it just didn't blow me away. I saw The Martian the night before, and liked that one a lot better. Perhaps having read the book colored my opinion though, who knows.

I still recommend seeing this, but maybe not in the theaters like I would for The Martian.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Really? Think this blows the Martian away. Need to see it again, fucking intense.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Pretty good movie. The two intense scenes were definitely very intense.

I think the movie would have been better had Blunt shot Benicio or had she killed herself. Though, honestly, I'm not 100% sure what all that transpired was illegal besides the torture of Guillermo for information. I thought the Mexican government had more or less given its legal blessing for the shit at the border. Also kinda funny that Blunt just gets the shit kicked out of her at multiple points. Wonder where the blue hair outrage is.

Rathgar_sl

shitlord
Great movie, I loved it. One question..........

What did Josh Brolin say while they were gearing up to go to the tunnel, something about "The CIA can't operate inside the county without........." I couldn't make it out because Reggie (Kate's partner) starting talking with him

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Great movie, I loved it. One question..........

What did Josh Brolin say while they were gearing up to go to the tunnel, something about "The CIA can't operate inside the county without........." I couldn't make it out because Reggie (Kate's partner) starting talking with him
It's illegal for the CIA to operate within US borders unless they're doing so at the behest of another US government agency. Basically Brolin (CIA) is enabling Del Toro (Sicario) to do what he's going to do because Blunt (FBI) is there and ultimately signs off on it due to Benecio basically telling her to sign the report or die.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just watched this with the wife. Fucking loved it, and she's not usually into this level of violence, intensity or even the backdrop (cartel vs. agencies etc.)

Both Blunt and del Toro were brilliant.

You feel for Blunt as she devolves from a top agent with great instincts to somebody who tries to cling to some semblance of morality while getting played badly ... and Benicio was just pure unadulterated fucking badass

Szlia

I must say I did not like it as much as I thought I would. It's partly because, in the end, the plot does not amount to much (it's not like an investigation where things unfold or like a dive into the war on drugs where you go deeper and deeper into the underworld). Also, it is a little sub-par when compared to the other movies of the director and to movies that have similar topics and/or similar scenes. Still good though, but not great.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
What examples of the same subject matter would you give? Honestly this isn't even a drug movie so I'd be interested to hear.