Sicario (2015)

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is a thriller, but it does not fit neatly into a specific type of thriller. It has elements of action, spy, conspiracy, and psychological.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I must say I did not like it as much as I thought I would. It's partly because, in the end, the plot does not amount to much (it's not like an investigation where things unfold or like a dive into the war on drugs where you go deeper and deeper into the underworld).
I tried to verbalize it in my earlier post, but this is sort of how I felt. In a purely visceral way it was a great movie, and the acting was pretty much perfect, but I sort of wanted a little more than just seeing things unfold. I still liked the movie, but it wasn't a solid "fuck yeah!" like I wanted it to be.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I'd actually say it's a war movie and the Grantland review comparing this to Apocalypse Now is rather apt in I'd say. Granted the Vietnam War fit it almost perfectly but in reality you could place it in almost any war this world has ever had. Kurtz only looked insane to the people removed from the war, to those in it he looked like a natural reaction to the situation. Del Toro's character may be a bit over the top in taking a step back but you can't say he's crazy, he was created by the War on Drugs and is just a reaction to the increasing escalation. If you keep in mind the increasing military aid we give to almost every other country in the America's this certainly seems fitting.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think it was a very pointed political movie with a dash of suspense and revenge thrown in.

"US government is evil, but maybe less evil than these guys, so maybe it's okay, but not really okay since Pedro's corrupt cop dad died and he was just supporting his family!"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

What examples of the same subject matter would you give? Honestly this isn't even a drug movie so I'd be interested to hear.
To be precise I said: 'similar topics and/or similar scenes.' The whole tunnel operation really made me think about Zero Dark Thirty (the whole part outside the tunnel probably looks better than anything in ZDT, but the tension and the construction of the action scene is a lot better in Bigelow's film) and as far as topics go, it reminded me of some parts of Breaking Bad (you even got the non-mexican cartel guy taking a mexican cartel's head by his lonesome in a posh residence).

On a side note, for War On Drugs movies with a brazilian twist, I recommend Tropa De Elite (Elite Squad) and its sequel.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I don't think there's much deeper to delve into, the War on Drugs is just about the body count at this point same as it was in Vietnam. They're really not accomplishing anything more than killing people that will be replaced by other people that need to be killed again. That's why I think the Apocalypse Now comparison is a good one.

Szila, I'll spoiler this for those who haven't seen it:
Del Toro was the state prosecutor for Juarez, he is Mexican. Once his wife was killed and his daughter melted to death in Acid he stopped being a prosecutor and started working for the Colombians as a way to get revenge. This is why I think his character is over the top in that he goes from a state prosecutor to a Colombian trained assassin? Maybe 20 years have gone by, no idea. But the Mexicans clearly knew who he was and who employed him.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
saw it. liked it. everyone was awesome. brolin was my favorite, but only b/c his character was cooler.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah just finished, was great. Could almost be down for a sequel, Emily Blunt is a badass and babe.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Great movie. The cinematography and editing were incredible. I know it's way too gritty to be film of the year material, but I can't think of a single flaw in this movie (admittedly, the afterglow is still strong).

Hopefully this gets a sequel.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just saw this, wife wanted to see a 'christmasey' movie so popped this one. She's not happy but this was def worth the watch

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Benicio Del Toro is such a badass in this movie. Very intense Thriller. One of the best movies this year easily. Can recommend.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know why this movie was not a bigger hit. Marketable stars that turned in great performances, a solid script, amazing action, and beautifully shot. It was one of the best action movies in recent years.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
It wasn't really made to be a hit. It was all about tension, slow burn, harsh reality and staying the fuck away from Mexico. And Josh Brolin making James Bond look like Wayne Brady.

Now finish your dinner.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
It's dark material with no real winners. It's not really for many people. I don't know why I would watch it again either. I liked it but...