Silicon Valley

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So the two funniest bits on TV in a VERY long time were from this show. First Erlich slapping the kid and last night the scientific breakdown of jerking off 800 men in 10 minutes.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Hahaha, great ending. Will be interesting to see where they take the show - I kinda want them all to get rich quick and lose it all.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Truly awesome episode. I like the "thinking outside the box" mentality for the dick jerking. Good times.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
other than dick science...

"what if pied piper was an app that could attract rodents, we're not here to tell you what to do with your rats we're just here to get you rats stat"

or

"i just spent 4 days on an oil rig with robot forklifts" "that may be the last time we see him alive"

this show is amazing.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
How much would it be worth to you if I told you I have a GPS app called Pied Piper tracking the location of your child.
I can follow your child ANYWHERE and there is NOTHING you can do to stop me.
Most... Missing children are never found.

Gask

Silver Baron of the Realm
How much would it be worth to you if I told you I have a GPS app called Pied Piper tracking the location of your child.
I can follow your child ANYWHERE and there is NOTHING you can do to stop me.
Most... Missing children are never found.
That was hilarious.

This show is definitely the best comedy I've watched in years.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
They really try to get the industry down, from terminology being real to some of the tools they use. The white boarding of how to jack off 800 people in 10min was the best vision into how a real nerd's mind works I have ever seen on TV. The topic becomes completely irrelevant in the face of solving a problem.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They really try to get the industry down, from terminology being real to some of the tools they use. The white boarding of how to jack off 800 people in 10min was the best vision into how a real nerd's mind works I have ever seen on TV. The topic becomes completely irrelevant in the face of solving a problem.
Which is why I thought the episode with The Carver was so strange since version control would have solved all the issues. I understand they need to make concessions for the purpose of fiction but they're usually so good about making sure things fit.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
I agree with that one, it didn't fit as well as the rest. They even mentioned Github earlier in the season as well. When at the techcrunch they started talking about a scalable acid database I started yelling at the screen, but I guess that fits in fiction
smile.png

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
That finale exceeded all my expectations. I can't wait for another season.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I agree with that one, it didn't fit as well as the rest. They even mentioned Github earlier in the season as well. When at the techcrunch they started talking about a scalable acid database I started yelling at the screen, but I guess that fits in fiction
smile.png
I wouldn't get so offended by a scalable ACID since they basically have to make shit up that defies computer science for their products. My wife asked me why compression like Pied Piper isn't on the market yet and pretty much the response is basically "We either don't know how to do it like they're doing it or, far more likely, they're disobeying how computers actually operate." I'm fine with them violating computer science for the sake of fiction but ignoring basic and common tools developers use every day I'm a bit less forgiving.

I did come up with a great idea in the shower the other day. So you know how computers can only read 0 and 1. Well what if they could also read 2, or 3, or 8 in the same memory space. So I got to thinking. The boards are laid out in such a way that it can only be either on or off. But what about if we went down to the atomic level? What if we managed to create a device that could add and remove electrons from an atom. Then another device which would be able to read the number of electrons in an atom. Suddenly a single atom could store many numbers which could be used for computational processing. Pretty sure this is just blatant science fiction but it would be cool!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't get so offended by a scalable ACID since they basically have to make shit up that defies computer science for their products. My wife asked me why compression like Pied Piper isn't on the market yet and pretty much the response is basically "We either don't know how to do it like they're doing it or, far more likely, they're disobeying how computers actually operate." I'm fine with them violating computer science for the sake of fiction but ignoring basic and common tools developers use every day I'm a bit less forgiving.

I did come up with a great idea in the shower the other day. So you know how computers can only read 0 and 1. Well what if they could also read 2, or 3, or 8 in the same memory space. So I got to thinking. The boards are laid out in such a way that it can only be either on or off. But what about if we went down to the atomic level? What if we managed to create a device that could add and remove electrons from an atom. Then another device which would be able to read the number of electrons in an atom. Suddenly a single atom could store many numbers which could be used for computational processing. Pretty sure this is just blatant science fiction but it would be cool!
Technically you can store data however you want.

You could build a decimal computer where the voltage running down the lines represents a number from 0-9 instead of 0-1. 1 volt lines, 0v=0, 0.1v=1, 0.2v=3, etc. Unfortunately, electricity doesn't like to actually behave like that, so it's impractical from a physical standpoint.

You could make an optical computer where you had ternary values, red=0, green=1 or blue=2.

Unfortunately neither of these ideas are really practical. So many operations a computer performs are boolean operations rather than numerical ones, and all those care about are true or false, two states. The other states would be superfluous most of the time, and for numerical values, conversion from binary works just fine.