Silicon Valley

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Unfortunately neither of these ideas are really practical. So many operations a computer performs are boolean operations rather than numerical ones, and all those care about are true or false, two states. The other states would be superfluous most of the time, and for numerical values, conversion from binary works just fine.
I think this is all short sighted. Computers and operations on computers are binary because that is our restriction. It is engrained in our minds as developers to see just a bunch of 0's and 1's. I think if we were able to see things not as boolean but as wildly different state it could open up new paradigms. I'm not saying I have these paradigms figured out but there are tons of smart people out there who could see applications of computing in non-binary.

Elissidel_sl

shitlord
This show makes me so happy. I cannot wait for season 2. This show and Rick and Morty have gotten me excited about comedy again, when others were getting stale and old.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
They really try to get the industry down, from terminology being real to some of the tools they use. The white boarding of how to jack off 800 people in 10min was the best vision into how a real nerd's mind works I have ever seen on TV. The topic becomes completely irrelevant in the face of solving a problem.
This is why King of the Hill was so good. The first season was kind of strange until you realized that Mike Judge was trying as hard as possible to faithfully represent a family in a small, Texas community. The fact that he was so successful developed the best humor in the show. Silicon Valley is going in the same direction, and I love it.

Best line of the season was from Dinesh - "Every time I'm about to have sex, he (Gilfoy) is all up in there."

khalid

Unelected Mod
who could see applications of computing in non-binary.
Computers weren't originally all in binary. All modern computers are however, for very good reasons. It isn't as if designers are blind to some of the advantages of non-binary representation and have never examined it.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Working at Pide Piper is like beng in hell.

Hes a satanist so thats a good thing.

Gilfoy for president.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
the mean jerk time algorithm will be on the whiteboards at my office before the week is out. Erlich immediately buying into it and being disappointed that girth similarity would affect his ability to jerk different dicks simultaneously made the whole joke.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
the mean jerk time algorithm will be on the whiteboards at my office before the week is out. Erlich immediately buying into it and being disappointed that girth similarity would affect his ability to jerk different dicks simultaneously made the whole joke.
I also like how you see Jared making hand motions in the foreground/background at different points in the scene.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Fucking jerk off science. Never laughed so hard. Especially when Jared said they had been out there for 2 hours.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I did come up with a great idea in the shower the other day. So you know how computers can only read 0 and 1. Well what if they could also read 2, or 3, or 8 in the same memory space. So I got to thinking. The boards are laid out in such a way that it can only be either on or off. But what about if we went down to the atomic level? What if we managed to create a device that could add and remove electrons from an atom. Then another device which would be able to read the number of electrons in an atom. Suddenly a single atom could store many numbers which could be used for computational processing. Pretty sure this is just blatant science fiction but it would be cool!
They do use multi-bit symbols in modulation schemes like QAM for data transmission. Transistors are pretty hard to beat though since they can put 50 kabillion of them on a half inch square of silicon and that seems to double every couple years so I doubt that binary is going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fucking jerk off science. Never laughed so hard. Especially when Jared said they had been out there for 2 hours.
Same here, I couldn't stop laughing. This show gradually won me over. It got better and better right up to the end. Looking forward to the second season.

iannis

Musty Nester
Christ, this show has some of the best jokes and it is just so damn painful to watch at the same time. Pretty much what Judge is best at.

And tenks, aren't you just talking about quantum computing? You're not just looking for on/off states, but you're adding contextual states as well. Not as sci-fi as it seems at first blush. There's been a puddle of goo sitting in a lab somewhere at MIT for the past 15 years that can occassionally add 1+1. It usually arrives at the correct answer, to boot!

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Christ, this show has some of the best jokes and it is just so damn painful to watch at the same time. Pretty much what Judge is best at.

And tenks, aren't you just talking about quantum computing? You're not just looking for on/off states, but you're adding contextual states as well. Not as sci-fi as it seems at first blush. There's been a puddle of goo sitting in a lab somewhere at MIT for the past 15 years that can occassionally add 1+1. It usually arrives at the correct answer, to boot!
I developed a quantum computer, but it is only correct when you don't read the answer.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
As funny as this show is, when he started presenting the compression stuff and getting his Weismann score I was genuinely feeling really happy and pumped for him. Like.. I knew it was a show.. but I thought it was great.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
As funny as this show is, when he started presenting the compression stuff and getting his Weismann score I was genuinely feeling really happy and pumped for him. Like.. I knew it was a show.. but I thought it was great.
I thought that was the worst part of the episode. The whole suspense thing and being like "Shit guys, sorry I let you down" and you knew damn well it was going to be some miracle level shit. It felt unneccessarily drawn out.

I laughed pretty hard at the beginning of the presentation when he was talking about how his friends had a debate about "data", and how many "data's" you could do whatever with at a time.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Has anyone heard if they're re-casting Peter Gregory or are they sticking with him constantly being away?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm sure he's going to end up just living out on the metal island thing. He's now just a recluse (you know, or dead IRL).