Silo

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
first 80% of the episode was about 3min of content stretched out to the Extreme maximum. it bothers me a bit less with this show because I still love the set designs and visuals. but damn it was like 30+min of people not talking and just contemplating shit and walking the silo. the script for this ep must have been about 4 pages long.
but the end did have some great stuff to make up for the slowness. Still enjoying the show and will definitely keep watching.

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
As someone who read the books, they are actually escalating the pace of the story quite a bit. The books were a VERY slow burn, and you are very wrong about anything happening within 4 pages in the books.

The story is very good though and only starts to feel rushed toward the middle of the third omnibus. I think they're doing a good job adapting it for TV and moving it along at a pace that will keep TV audiences engaged. Some people just can't stand not being given answers immediately though.

They showed the true outside nature way fucking earlier in the show than they did in the books. Like... laughably so. But I think it works for TV. Though I doubt anyone has given much thought to why everyone actually cleans when they are sent out, which is a giant mystery for book readers for far longer. But is immediately clear to show watchers if they are paying attention.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I was gonna ask if this episode is worth bothering with. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

it was 45 min of character development and 10 min of Silo development.

Considering the first few characters i liked have already died i don't really care about character development, i want to learn about the Silo !

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

The books are very, very heavy on character development and subplots that detail the human condition. But all of them move the main plot along, none of them are truly side stories. Which is probably why I enjoyed the series so much. There wasn't any wasted page space or "fluff".

We'll see how the show turns out, and it's already slightly different than the books but I think it's pretty good so far.

The comment above about likeable characters dying quickly is true to the books and a sign of good writing in my opinion. Creating characters you can find relatable in small time frames and have them be gone just as fast, but contribute to the main plot in meaningful ways.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Finished up book one a bit ago. It wasn't amazing but it was solid. It also killed my interest in the show stone dead. I started book 2 and so far I'm interested in the kind of story it's telling.

Khane

This is probably going to be a show you'd rather binge than watch as it airs if you're impatient for big reveals. The story unfolds slowly in the books and the show seems to be pacing itself similarly.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is probably going to be a show you'd rather binge than watch as it airs if you're impatient for big reveals. The story unfolds slowly in the books and the show seems to be pacing itself similarly.
Was going to say this.

And fuck reading books. Made that mistake with Game of Thrones.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This episode was pretty eventful actually. Sheriff found out about the hidden power structure and that the Judge is a puppet.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
There was a miniseries on TV probably 10+ years ago. It was people living in what was supposed to be a spaceship for like 50 years, but the whole thing was just an experiment and they where still on Earth. This reminds me a lot of that.

• 1Like

Goatface

There was a miniseries on TV probably 10+ years ago. It was people living in what was supposed to be a spaceship for like 50 years, but the whole thing was just an experiment and they where still on Earth. This reminds me a lot of that.
Ascension. they were 50 years into 100 year mission. what i recall it had some pretty good ideas.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been a while since I read the books but I don't remember the judge character at all, just IT. Also someone mentioned a second trilogy but I definitely only read one trilogy.

Have to give props to the set designer/graphic artist person for the tv show, they really did an incredible job. Way better than my imagination when I read the books. I never pictured so much traffic going up and down the steps as they have in the tv show.

• 2Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
They showed the true outside nature way fucking earlier in the show than they did in the books. Like... laughably so. But I think it works for TV. Though I doubt anyone has given much thought to why everyone actually cleans when they are sent out, which is a giant mystery for book readers for far longer. But is immediately clear to show watchers if they are paying attention.
That's not really true. You got a pretty clear sense of the situation after the first book, the shortest by far.

Khane

Right, after the first book. They showed it in the second episode. It's not really a Spoiler though and I think it works better to have that short glimpse that early since it doesn't give all that much away on TV.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
edit - book spoiler because dog fucker

It's pretty early in book one when we know the outside is for sure toxic and that people are given a false overlay. Starting it after seeing a few episodes of the show I was expecting the "why do people clean" mystery and all its wrinkles to get dragged out that's just not the case.

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
Been a while since I read the books but I don't remember the judge character at all, just IT. Also someone mentioned a second trilogy but I definitely only read one trilogy.

Have to give props to the set designer/graphic artist person for the tv show, they really did an incredible job. Way better than my imagination when I read the books. I never pictured so much traffic going up and down the steps as they have in the tv show.
There are , I believe 5 wool books bundled in one "trilogy", then the follow up "shift" trilogy, then dust, the capstone book that finishes both.

The shift books arnt about the same people as in the first series. Shift is kind of like a mix of background for the setting and "things happening elsewhere"

• 1Like

Khane

It's pretty early in book one when we know the outside is for sure toxic and that people are given a false overlay. Starting it after seeing a few episodes of the show I was expecting the "why do people clean" mystery and all its wrinkles to get dragged out that's just not the case.

Right, in the books there is a very clear and defined motivation to find the truth of "why are these people, condemned to death, still performing their duty to clean?". In the show its, very, very glossed over. And I think it's because they want to pace the show a bit faster to get to Juliettes "quest" quicker

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

that's a pretty big book spoiler considering that's only been hinted at in the show lol. Aren't there rules about book spoilers in tv threads? Fortunately this show is trash and boring

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
that's a pretty big book spoiler considering that's only been hinted at in the show lol. Aren't there rules about book spoilers in tv threads? Fortunately this show is trash and boring

Well you didn't send me a message and quoted me instead so more people see it so spare me your concern trolling.

Early in the book and early in the show the mystery of why people clean is revealed.

• 1Like