SimCity

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So water doesn't actually run out. You need to put your water pumping station near the water treatment plant; the water treatment plant replenishes the water underneath it. Your pumping station can then pump it out. This water doesn't run out.
Good to know.

I haven't even attempted to play yet due to the shit show the servers have been. My origin name is Falstaff13 if people want to add me to friends list. I'll try to get hooked up to a region this weekend.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of the friends list...has anyone figured out a way to get your Origin friends to show up on the in-game list, yet?

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Speaking of the friends list...has anyone figured out a way to get your Origin friends to show up on the in-game list, yet?
Besides waiting several hours? No. I've probably tried just about everything you could.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It works intermittently.

This cloud based shit is working about as well as we expected. Personally it's just a matter of time until you either crash from the game and can't load back into your region or server, or your city becomes corrupted. And this is while using a minimal amount of features (Currently, navigating around your region causes city corruption so I don't do it).

All in all I'm pretty happy with the result and hope this path isn't easily repeated by other companies.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
How long before this game is F2P? Are they contracting servers yet? Oh wait, this isn't an MMO? Seems to have opening day MMO problems. Will these game companies ever smarten up? /sigh

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I logged on this morning to see if I could actually play without crashing...and had no problems. So, my conclusion is that the game will be awesome once enough people quit.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I logged on this morning to see if I could actually play without crashing...and had no problems. So, my conclusion is that the game will be awesome once enough people quit.
I think a lot of the problems have been server-specific, I've been bouncing between East and West to play w/ friends who have regions on different servers... as Kotaku is posting their emo 'looks like you won't be playing SimCity on release day' articles pandering to the anti-DRM/anti-EA crowd flocking to them to comment I didn't have any problems hopping on, recovering from my earthquake for 30-40 minutes and logging off.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the invite to the new region, hopefully it is there when I get home from work tonight.

meStevo, you must be incredibly lucky, because around 10 to 11pm PST last night (on US East 1) Agraza and I waited through two 20 min queues and gave up when the third one started, while Hachima was starting his fourth. Friend requests were showing up on Origin but not SimCity (making it so people couldn't send invites to regions if the friend was too new), regions were not loading, etc. You'd think this might be slightly expected after everyone gets off of work in the evening, but not at 2am EST. Looking at the server list at those times, all 4 US servers had 20 min queues, so you couldn't even hop over and play for awhile somewhere else.

Now, I was able to log on without a queue prior to that, but since the friend requests weren't going through the only thing we could try was restarting...which eventually put us into queues. They could have been doing maintenance without telling us perhaps, but their whole setup is not very user-friendly when shit isn't working the way it should.

Consider me rustled!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Fake refunds is pretty bad, but I can't imagine getting frustrated enough with the shitty server/game support and then go try to deal with EA support to get a refund, lol. One good thing about buying from Amazon is that they've usually been pretty good about giving out refunds. And part of me hopes that amazon doesn't get the shaft when they refund me but rather pass it onto EA.

Either way this game is going exactly like I and I think any reasonable person here expected. Asking for a refund because an online game's release sucks seems weird.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone know if its possible to trade or interact with regions with no road or rail or water access? I assume airport but I dont have one built to test it out yet. Also if its possible could I then sell my garbage/sewage/power etc to those remote regions?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you talking about 16 city regions trading/sharing resources with other 16 city regions? If so, I didn't think so... I didn't think airports effected things like that

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are you talking about 16 city regions trading/sharing resources with other 16 city regions? If so, I didn't think so... I didn't think airports effected things like that
Yeah 16 city regions but within the same giant map. Some have no road connections so im wondering if there is a way to connect them somehow.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Show us an example of a region. Most regions with city blocks not connected via road are connected via water or something.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sigh I am crashing every 10 minutes now. Was doing fine yesterday but this morning it is just unplayable. Every time it crashes it loses all of my progress. I have tried run as admin, compatibility checking, changing various settings, it just doesn't matter.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comm...ht_rail_works/

tldr: Don't build intersections for your street cars. build straights paths or snake it around like this:

Also buses seem to group together in ineffective packs:
z5dq0WI.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It just seems like an example of an ambitious developer team trying to create a novel feature in a game and not being able to make it perfect. Personally I'd prefer if they made the traffic simulation more abstract like it is in previous simcity games, but I can appreciate the attempt to do something new. And frankly it's such a challenging problem that I'm not surprised it doesn't work well.

The most depressing thing about it is that working traffic is so unattractive for expansion/dlc sales and so challenging it's very possible it won't ever be fixed.