Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I don't get it either. A Dame to Kill For is easily the best of the comics, and unless they diverged in a huge way from how Sin City was shot the comics are basically just storyboards for the movie. Reviews do seem to agree that the new stories written specifically for the movie are fairly awful though. The movie is only a little over an hour and a half, so I assume the new material was needed to pad the length. Not sure why they couldn't have used some of the other existing material instead, since there are a bunch of Sin City stories that are only a few pages long.

My local theater didn't get it, I assume because some retard thought it would be a good idea to release the movie in 3D during a month when multiple other 3D movies are out. AFAIK the studios do not allow a theater to order 2D only when both are available. They can either get 3D only or they can get both 3D and 2D. The theater here only has two screens with 3D projection and Sin City 2 wasn't getting a spot when GotG and TMNT are still going strong (which is sad because they're both fake 3D which is just a fucking waste of a screen).

Sin City is one of my favorite movies because it's the perfect example how comic book movies should be made, but I don't think I'll be driving 30 miles to find out if the sequel isn't as bad as the box office/reviews would suggest.

Szlia

You guys saw The Spirit? Maybe the general public is able to understand what happens when Miller directs by his lonesome.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
@VORPH, Did you see guardians in 3d? I would be surprised if the 3d in sin city was nearly as good as GOTG

Szlia

[...]which is sad because they're both fake 3D which is just a fucking waste of a screen).
Pretty sure it's all fake 3D now, because they are getting a lot better at creating it in post prod AND it's cheaper and less cumbersome during the shooting. I missed it, but there was a talk in a festival I was at about how they did it for Edge of Tomorrow (using miniature replicas of the sets to calculate the parallaxes and what have you).

There is a business study to do on 3D btw, because studios hate shooting with it, theaters hate the additional costs it generates, viewers hate paying a higher ticket price, wearing glasses and having to struggle through projections with ghost images, cross talk and darker projections for the luxury of an effect that brings nothing to the table in 99% of the movies that use it... And yet it's still there because the viewers are held hostage by the distributors and still go see movies in 3D if no other option is available. I personally always go see the 2D version if it is on offer (in screenings that are packed to the rafters), but it's a possibility for maybe 20% of 3D movies....

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty sure it's all fake 3D now
It's not. Sin City 2 was shot with Arri Alexa 3D camera rigs. So was X-Men 5, in stark contrast to all the movies made by Marvel themselves (and the Spider-man movies) that are post-processed-shit 3D.

That said, I agree 100% with your second paragraph and I still went to see X-Men in 2D anyway. Sin City 2 I'd probably have made an exception for. Seems like a mostly black and white movie wouldn't suffer from the most annoying problems 3D projection creates, and since so much of the movie is shot on green screen they could probably do some interesting things with the 3D.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The only reason I end up seeing this shit in 3D is because I want to watch the films in Imax, and that's the only format available on the "big big" screen.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I hate 3D but this gave depth to the environment ect. (only other film I thought the 3d was worth a damn was Avatar) it didnt bother me at all and loved it. I wouldnt mide seeing the 3D again but not spend 15+ a ticket. I had a buzz watching it so maybe the headache I normally get got countered /shrug.

as for theatre 3D films I have only heard praise for
Train your Dragon
Coraline (I think)
GOTG

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
There was another film that had ridiculously good 3D. Sanctum. It was from James Cameron as well, but it had to do with SCUBA diving. Well, cave diving.

It's Horror/Thriller, but decent. Cameron made this right after Avatar and used the same 3D technology. This was a beautiful film. I ended up seeing it because the Dive shop I go to ended up renting out the Imax theater for their customers, and would give out tickets to the show to whomever. I would have skipped it completely if not for that. I'm glad I got to see it.

Once again, the movie was called Sanctum.
Didn't have the greatest reviews (IMDB gives it a 3.5), but it's worth a watch.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
You guys saw The Spirit? Maybe the general public is able to understand what happens when Miller directs by his lonesome.
Christ, I had forgotten that one.

"That's damn weird. I mean, I made it. But it's damn weird." Literally one of the most retarded movies I have ever seen, but it did have Eva Mendes' ass a couple of times in it, so there's that.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I enjoyed it, but I have a soft spot for highly stylized anthology type offerings. I think Miramax completely fucked up the marketing for this. I myself wasn't going to see it because I had forgotten what happened in the original when someone pointed out "Its an anthology, it doesn't matter!" Additionally this is the sort of film that needs heavy college audience draw in order to generate buzz and they released it at the worst possible time for that age group as they are all either moving in or preparing to move in. If they had held off for an October release I guarantee you it would have done better.

Column_sl

shitlord
Same, we saw this late last night as a midnight movie, and I liked it as much as the first one. I'm big fan of that pulp blanc noir detective stuff tho.
It's been awhile since I've read those stories, so was good to see them in another medium.

I am surprised Nancy was clothed again through out the whole movie tho, she definitely is not in the books.

Column_sl

shitlord
33 with 2 kids still smokin hot in the movie.

rrr_img_74718.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I dunno, I'm not a comic book guy, and quite honestly I thought the first Sin City was only interesting because of the visual style. In that regard, it was pretty ground breaking. But that was almost 10 years ago. It's old news now. Otherwise the stories were shallow and not particularly interesting, unless you're in to the comics in the first place. And the vast majority of the movie going public isn't. So it's not a big surprise that this bombed. Maybe if it was made a couple years after the first it would have done better.