Skyrim

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Falskaar is definitly fun. However Im stuck in a dungeon because I can't locate a key. Reading up on it the key is just sitting on the ground, so combat can knock it around. Looked all over the room and can't find it.
I remember that getting me too, heh.

Crell_sl

shitlord
Use the console command to open or unlock the door, hopefully the key isn't tied to the quest or it will fuck it up.
Its not a door I need it for. To continue the quest, you have to pick up the key. Hopefully it just got blown somewhere in the room.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Did you just end up finding it on the ground? Or is there a work around that can be done?
I honestly can't remember. I know one time I found one of those key areas before I had the quest and looked all over and restarted the level a few times but then realized I had to go do the precursor quest and then go to that dungeon. I hate when that happens.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I was enjoying a new game with a handful of mods, but I changed a few graphical settings via the normal Launcher, and it essentially disabled all my mods. Loading my game tells me "It appears some mods are missing", and even a new game doesn't see the mods. I tried deactivating/activating via the Mod Manager, but that didn't make a difference.

I'm assuming that using the launcher to change the graphics changed my .ini, but how can I get my mods back? Is each mod listed in the ini or something? All I did was change my view distance
frown.png

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea. I'm still using the SKSE through Mod Manager, and I ran BOSS again. All the appropriate .esm and .esp files are checked; everything appears to be installed (cuz they were properly installed). Really all I did was open the options and move some sliders, and it's all gone to hell lol

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Yea. I'm still using the SKSE through Mod Manager, and I ran BOSS again. All the appropriate .esm and .esp files are checked; everything appears to be installed (cuz they were properly installed). Really all I did was open the options and move some sliders, and it's all gone to hell lol
I recently deleted Skyrim and did a full reinstall (Legendary edition, all DLC enabled) followed by

RealVision ENB at Skyrim Nexus - mods and community

I used Skyrim 2k textures lite version. Avoided the mods with FPS marked red and use pure waters as the option for water mod. I used "vivid landscapes all in one" (bottom of step 1) instead of the individual ones on the list and installed it in the order of the first time a vivid landscape mod appeared on the list. I picked Pure waters as the option for water mods.

At step 3, I followed option 2 due to this video

It does cause some areas to be too dark (mainly indoor areas), but it adds so much more to the game. Suddenly you need light spells and torches and dungeons feel much creepier as mobs can easily jump you and trapwires can be hard to see.

Added mods at step 4 were the unofficial patches, immersive armor and weapons. 83willows (more bugs). I didn't install sounds of skyrim as I have experienced crashing with those due to climates even with the patch. Just seems less stable. Also installed skyrim redone and deadly dragons.

It works like a charm, no CTDs and looks better than ever. Not tried to maximize that guide as I am running on an old laptop, but can vouch for that guide (the things I said I installed at least) as a baseline on making a good looking stable Skyrim for people who are not very good at load orders and modding in general (me). Just read the install instructions in every mod you click on in the guide, in the order the guide lists them, and it is fairly hard to make a mistake.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well I had a stroke of genius and I just closed and opened the Mod Manager. When I did that, all ESMs were unchecked, so I rechecked them and we're good to go.

But doesn't it figure, I was watching a Let's Play video and got inspired to start a new game with the mods he has listed. Took an hour or two lining them up and making sure to follow the instructions, and....CTD at start up!

BTW BOSS doesn't change the visual order of esps in the mod manager, right? Mine are all still in the order they were installed in even after updating and running BOSS multiple times. I'm refering to the left tab "Plugins" that contains the ESP and ESM files.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Far too many mods out there to know where to begin. Always hated TES games in vanilla form, but loved them with mods.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Far too many mods out there to know where to begin. Always hated TES games in vanilla form, but loved them with mods.
In the same spot. I'm going to give this game another try, after putting 2 hours into it before. Spent 2 hours in the first town you come too. It let me kill the people that just fed me, and then I went and killed some spiders, but being so open, and sand box, left me feeling what was the point of any of it, if I could do all of it? That might make any sense.

I want to give it another try as I actually bought the Legendary Edition on sale, but I figure some mods would probably make the experience more enjoyable. Not looking for any crazy hentai mods or shit, but maybe some graphics improvements, quality of life improvements, gameplay improvements? Improvements to the normal game maybe?

I would appreciate the help. I'm going back to Google to try and sort through some stuff.

Edit: Found this from Googling, looks like a good place to start for some of the graphic improvements at least:

The List of the Best, Must Have Mods for Skyrim, with Links, Descriptions, and Videos (UPDATED) : skyrim

Can I still play the game through Steam after I mod it? Looks like it's asking me to launch the game through SKSE, but wasn't sure if that meant I have to cut out Steam.

Sulrn

Deuces
In the same spot.

Can I still play the game through Steam after I mod it? Looks like it's asking me to launch the game through SKSE, but wasn't sure if that meant I have to cut out Steam.
If you run with workshop mods only, yes. Otherwise you'll run the game using Boss/MO/etc... after you open via steam once to let your game sync with the workshop.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
until modding becomes easier (I'm not holding my breath), I'm afraid that I may never return to this game which held such awesome promise for me

I can't stomach sitting through a couple hours of downloading, BOSS/MO sorting, and ultimately CTD'ing time and time again. It never seems to work, even when I try to trim the number of mods I'm using to a bare minimum.

I get that it's my fault, and I'm probably just stupid. but there's gotta be an easier way.

waiting for someone to release a comprehensive "best of" mod that does it all for me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You'll get more compilations the further from release because people will stop updating their mods and things will settle down.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, if you use any mods that require skse, like skyui, you will have to launch the game through it.
until modding becomes easier (I'm not holding my breath), I'm afraid that I may never return to this game which held such awesome promise for me

I can't stomach sitting through a couple hours of downloading, BOSS/MO sorting, and ultimately CTD'ing time and time again. It never seems to work, even when I try to trim the number of mods I'm using to a bare minimum.

I get that it's my fault, and I'm probably just stupid. but there's gotta be an easier way.

waiting for someone to release a comprehensive "best of" mod that does it all for me.
Have you tried using nexus mod manager? I have never modded any games before or whatnot, and it makes it extremely easy.