Skyrim

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, what both posters above me said. As much shit as ppl give bethesda and skyrim, vanilla skyrim is still an amazing world. I put in 100 hours in vanilla skyrim before finishing the storyline and maybe saw 1/4 of the world if that.

Now I can enjoy it differently and I make the changes I want so I almost enjoy modding the game as much as I do playing it. That being said I would hate to have to revert back to the default ui, skyui and categorized favorites menu are a must for me. Only downside to that is those happen to be some of the more difficult mods to install just because they require installing skse first, which like I said earlier isn't really difficult, but you can't just dl and install it through the nexus mod manager.

Of all the regular mods listed here I think the most invalueable is Alternate start - Live Another Life. I used to cringe when I wanted to roll a new character because I'd have to sit through that lengthy intro. Live another life makes it easy peasy. Although if it is your absolute very first playthrough you may not want to use it just so you can see and playthrough the lenghty intro.

Once you start playing you can easily add any graphical mods or dungeon mods or survival mods or whatever as you see fit. One thing you shouldn't install in the middle of a game because it changes so much is skyrim redone and imo I'd do a vanilla playthrough first to both see how things are done and it'll add longevity to the game because your next playthrough will be that much more different.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Vanilla Skyrim is fine (Much more so than oblivion). How much you'll enjoy Skyui is dependent on how much time you spend in your UI. Personally I hate dealing with game UIs so I don't do crafting, and I had to change my character choices just because the ui wouldn't let me switch weapons the way I wanted. I didn't mind the UI being pretty terrible but that's just me.

All in all it's pretty harmless to get skyui if it's your first playthrough. The game is so evenly distributed that there's nothing wrong with starting with a vanilla configuration and adding a new mod every few days. (Unless the mod requires a new character)

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Funny that this thread should pop up as i just reinstalled Skyrim so i could have a playthrough with mods. I'm using a combination of stuff from posted above and the reddit list

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comme...ds_for_skyrim/

I'm only using about half from each list, and there's a decent amount of crossover, but i am impressed by the overall amount of detail it adds to this already gorgeous game.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh its listed in the 2nd post, but I forgot to mention an absolute must have mod is "A quality world map - with roads."

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Modding this game is as fun as playing the game itself. In some way, more fun. By the time I maxed out my character and beat the game, I probably had over 80 mods installed. Nexus Mod Manager is a must. Any mod with the search phrase "Enhanced" is almost a must for me. Flora (trees and bushes), Water, Spell Effects, Fire and Embers, Sky, Rainbows, Snow, Lighting, Hair, Eyes -- there are tons of 4K Resolution packs. UNP skin textures and models are my preferred. There are high res texture packs for the model, as well as dozens of armor models and high res NPC clothing options for the UNP model. Barenziah Quest Markers is a good quality of life add-on. I tried to make the game look as amazing as possible, while impacting the gameplay as little as possible. The game is honestly stupid easy once you hit level 30 -- I had to set it to Expert to tolerate making it to level 50.

Crell_sl

shitlord
Dragonborn DLC coming to PC and PS3 next month, finally.

http://www.bethblog.com/2013/01/18/t...dawnguard-too/
+1, thanks for the news! Been waiting for this for awhile. Dawnguard was a complete joke of a DLC, hoping this actually adds some more life into Skyrim for me. And everything I have heard from XBox owners who are already playing it have been positive (outside of dragonriding, I guess that is a joke). Time to dust of Skyrim again, get my mods in order (think I'll just delete all of them and start from scratch).

Saban_sl

shitlord
Whats the new best way to level smithing? Playing on PS3. Just hit 51 smithing and seems like it'll take a lifetime doing it via orcish armor. Should i stick with dwarven bows?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Best way to level smithing is to level alchemy. What I mean is, level alchemy to the point that you're making potions that sell for 1000+ gold, then buy the speechcraft perk that let's you sell anything to any type of merchant. Once you're at that point you just fast travel to enemy town/smithy and buy all their ore/ingots/leather in exchange for stupidly expensive potions.

The effects on the potion don't even matter, just make the ones with the most effects on them regardless if they make sense or not.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
+1, thanks for the news! Been waiting for this for awhile. Dawnguard was a complete joke of a DLC, hoping this actually adds some more life into Skyrim for me. And everything I have heard from XBox owners who are already playing it have been positive (outside of dragonriding, I guess that is a joke). Time to dust of Skyrim again, get my mods in order (think I'll just delete all of them and start from scratch).
I can't imagine the awesome mods that will come outta this dlc. I loved Dragonborn.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Step 1:http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11

Yes it is long but it is worth it .

Step 2: Get Balanced Magic and Apocalypse magic. There might be a balanced magic type mod already in step but having the separate mod has hurt me yet and without it just sucks.
In my search I have decided to remove Balanced Magic and Apocalypse magi and add T3nd0s Skyrim Redone instead. (I also unchecked a few of the more performance impacting step mods but that is optional at any time). Skyrim Redone re-does the perk trees to actually all be useful (helllooo pickpocket/lockpicking) along with other major changes that make investing in those trees worth it (hellllllo speechcraft). It also redoes the sneak system so it isn't OP as well as the magic system, etc. etc. Take a look at the changes over at nexusmods but even for a new player I would suggest this at adept difficulty for a first playthrough.http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9286

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Started playing Skyrim again last night. And by playing Skyrim I mean browsing nexus mods.

Has anyone tried using the steam workshop? It seems totally unusable to me compared to Nexus.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
A mod manager is practically essential for finding conflicts and I don't think you can use script extender through steam workshop.