Skyrim

Sulrn

Deuces
You say that but between modders having moved on and continued fuckery from Bethesda the current setup may be the only chance to get the full experience before the update breaks everything.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
According to Bethesda the only mods that will break will be the ones that rely on SKSE (admittedly that's a lot of them these days) since SKSE will have to update itself to the new 64 bit architecture. They wern't clear on if those mods will work once SKSE has updated itself or if those mods will also need to update.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I loved oblivion and skyrim on Ps4, but never played on pc.
I got a good pc upgrade and picked up skyrim, but the mouse and keyboard felt weird still an hour in.

Is a game pad the go-to way to play on PC, or do I just need to stick it out and get used to the keyboard?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I felt it was fine on the keyboard. It's probably just a matter of what you're use too.

spronk

FPS noob
don't forget if you own certain versions on steam (legendary edition for sure, maybe if you bought all the DLCs as well?) you get a free upgrade on steam

if you can find it the elder scrolls anthology edition for PC is fantastic, you get a nice case, all the discs, steam keys for most of the games (skyrim legendary edition), and some maps. I picked it up at best buy for $15 a few months ago, you may be able to hunt around for it at target, amazon, ebay, etc. I wish I had picked up 4-5 sets now, would have made fantastic xmas gifts.

Wnng8aM.jpg

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
(legendary edition for sure, maybe if you bought all the DLCs as well?)
Correct from what I've read. If you have all the DLC or the Legendary (On PC only because fuck you console you're paying again) you get the remaster for free.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
According to Bethesda the only mods that will break will be the ones that rely on SKSE (admittedly that's a lot of them these days) since SKSE will have to update itself to the new 64 bit architecture. They wern't clear on if those mods will work once SKSE has updated itself or if those mods will also need to update.
Every mod I used in my last play through (At the start of the year) relied on SKSE. Honestly, for that reason alone I'd suggest someone jump in now and try it--some of the mods are pretty wild.

My current game has full body physics, with bouncing hair ect. Textures which rival current games with ease, and an ENB that really makes everything pretty visually stunning. And I have a mod that lets animations be modified with new skeletons ect--so even the way the characters move is different. When my brother was over he couldn't believe it was Skyrim, actually; given how everything looked. Especially with the immersive mods that add a ton of new armors and swords (Same stats as swords of that level, but a lot more visual variety.)

Saw the remastered video and its still a massive distance behind what the mods can do. Hopefully they can update SKSE so it all works again, but if the trade off is SKSE breaking and losing all those mods? It's not worth it, especially given how many mods aren't updated anymore. Recent play through with Frost Fall, Real Shelter, Wet and Cold, Real Needs was actually really cool, really changes the whole way you play the game when you can die on a mountain because you got too cold.

But apart from that, the visuals are ridiculous. Just my body mesh changes make the game look totally different.

I loved oblivion and skyrim on Ps4, but never played on pc.
I got a good pc upgrade and picked up skyrim, but the mouse and keyboard felt weird still an hour in.

Is a game pad the go-to way to play on PC, or do I just need to stick it out and get used to the keyboard?
Keyboard and Mouse work well, but I used a 360 pad just because I like playing in my recliner, worked well.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I'm really up to date. Apparenelty I bought this 5 years ago when it first came out on steam and I got busy with work/turnaround and just skipped it. Now I'm sorting thru some of the mods. I did get the one from the first page about a better map as I found the map pretty blah.
Enderal, a full conversion of Skyrim by SureAI, the same guys who did Nehrim (the full Oblivion conversion) is dropping very soon (next month I think) in Europe and will follow in US after.

I've been waiting years for this one. Ironically, I never played Nehrim, but it got amazing reviews. From everything I have read, the conversions these guys do are way better than the original games.

Just something to keep in mind.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
but if the trade off is SKSE breaking and losing all those mods? It's not worth it, especially given how many mods aren't updated anymore.
The SKSE teamhas saidthey will update for the Remaster, they're just not sure how much work it will be, it all depends on exactly what Bethesda has done. So it could be a while before you can play a modded Remaster campaign. Personally I consider the wait to be worth it since the last two times I've tried to play Skyrim I can't achieve a stable game. Having that 64 bit architecture will be a god send for opening up the memory restrictions Skyrim currently suffers from.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm not all that interested in a lot of the mods. What the game looks like is of no concern to me. I played for just a few minutes the other day to start off. I will say the controls/UI were a bit funky, but I guess you get used to it.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I will say the controls/UI were a bit funky, but I guess you get used to it.
Another thing mods can fix! Give SkyUI a try if you haven't yet. Makes a lot of the menu/favorites a lot easier/quicker to handle and in general makes the UI more PC-friendly if you're going mouse/keyboard.

Sulrn

Deuces
I played on 360 and PC and have used both controller and m/kb and I think people who complain about controls in this game are nutty. Game requires very little input unless you're using an enhanced combat dodge mod - and that would literally be the only reason to maybe encourage a controller (assuming you're not playing via steamlink in your living room).

But yeah, the new version would break 95% of my mods (which do a hell of a lot more than visuals) and a most will not be updated regardless if SKSE is a quick turn around or not. The only reason I'm looking forward to the new version is to hopefully experience a non-buggy expansion experience as with my recent update to legendary a few months ago, I can't go anywhere near the new stuff without a crash. Thankfully though I also have a lot of new content added by mods and am exploring how hard it is to tell what's new and what I missed on previous vanilla runs (a lot of the mods expand on original content or push you towards discovering it).

spronk

FPS noob
remember the remaster is a new steam game so you can have both the old one (with mods from nexus or workshop) and the new one existing side by side. its not like an MMO or something where you are forced to update.

if you only get mods from workshop for the new one, it'll be ones obviously that work and cleaned up probably too

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm not all that interested in a lot of the mods. What the game looks like is of no concern to me. I played for just a few minutes the other day to start off. I will say the controls/UI were a bit funky, but I guess you get used to it.
As others have said, even if you get a few mods--Get SKSE, and Sky-UI. (I'd also get Skyrim 2k textures if you've got a decent computer). Just those three will provide a huge boost and are no hassle to install.

Grab Mod Organizer to put them in for you (I'd get this over Nexus Mod Manager; it's just as easy, and it does all the installs in a virtual folder so it doesn't change your files. With Mod Organizer modding is just a 2 click affair, it's how I went from 5 mods to around 80, lol)

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Also grab the Jedi Mod. I have a Jedi Consular Saber and i force push the mother fuckers all day and light saber them up and it is great.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
remember the remaster is a new steam game so you can have both the old one (with mods from nexus or workshop) and the new one existing side by side. its not like an MMO or something where you are forced to update.

If you only get mods from workshop for the new one, it'll be ones obviously that work and cleaned up probably too
I also remember Bethesda mention you can import your save file from the old to this "remaster" version.

Btw, are there any good mods could upgrade the animation like running/walking/riding etc?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I also remember Bethesda mention you can import your save file from the old to this "remaster" version.

Btw, are there any good mods could upgrade the animation likerunning/walking/riding etc?
There are tons of them. You'll probably need a skeleton mod, and something called Fores new Idles (It's a mod which lets other mods build new animations). There are mods now for better looking sword wielding, bow firing, running ect. I typically don't mess with them very much but I do have Fores for some new idles.

khalid

Unelected Mod
After playing so much Dark Souls recently, the combat in Skyrim just feels fucking horrible.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
After playing so much Dark Souls recently, the combat in Skyrim just feels fucking horrible.
Oh yeah, it is. I played it the first time after playing DS1--and I was, at first like "my god how does everyone love this dog shit?". The game really does not shine in combat, but in the world and story and how much freedom the skills give you (Building your character for combat>>combat). If they made Skyrim freedom/breadth with DS depth/combat? Would be the perfect game.

That said, there are some combat mods out that do make combat a lot better--still no where near a Souls game, but it feels better.