Smartphones

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Careful with verizon prepaid. Last I looked, which admittedly was a little bit, they didn't allow LTE phones on their prepaid resellers. Just make sure to check that first.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Not bad, I like the idea of buying extra data with longer expiration to potentially save money. Now if only they weren't dicks about certain phones on their network. Last I checked, Nexus 4 & 5 don't work on VZW. What about 6 and other popular prepaid smartphones like the 1+1 and Moto X?

Are those quoted prices final like other prepaid plans or are they taxes/fee'd?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
That's what I do now, sorry if that wasn't clear. I just hate having to reload it. I almost NEVER talk on my personal phone. I run out of time, either the 30 days or 90 days depending on what denomination I get before I run out of minutes. IE my 30 days or 90 days expire before the minutes I have to use in that time frame.

I would rather just have a bill each month and take care of it. I can't imagine a bill of voice and text with very minimum data usage is very expensive.

Sounds like the other option is just get another/new phone under contract.

Yes I know. I'm not like 99.9% of cell phone users. I have a work phone but I keep a personal one as well.

I would be all in for a new phone if I could find one smaller than the infuse which is the biggest drawback I had on it.

I would go back to an old fashioned flip phone or kept my old one if people didnt' send me pics that are work related on my personal phone because they can't seem to figure out work phones are for work crap and personal phones are for personal phones.
If you are interested in getting a newer phone, you might want to check out the Xperia Z3 Compact. It's smaller than the infuse in every dimension, same weight, 4.6" screen and water and dust resistant. Supposed to have very good battery life as well.

As far as going on contract, does the Go Phone plan not offer an auto refill option, so you're just billed for the same amount once your time expires?

We had our christmas yesterday. I made the mistake of asking my niece about her phone and got a 20 minute talk about how great it was because it required an invite to get.
Probably the OnePlus One, which you can finally order without an invite when they have stock.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Personally I'd avoid the Xperia Z3 and Z3 compact. There are tons of people having the glass breaking at random. Shame too. Otherwise great phone.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Something I will look into. The GoPhone may have an auto biling deal but I've had issues with it. I have to buy a card and enter it. When I try to pay for 3 months and X minutes via credit card it is refused and they said it was because my phone doesn't match my service area and credit card info. Which is right, not sure why it matters. I bought the phone at walmart and they didn't register it or whatever. I googled up where I could do it myself and when I filled out the info it let you pick what area code you wanted so I did, which isn't here.

I could always just buy another. Now that I think about it more I'll likely just get a whole new phone and start over with AT&T.

I am not a fan of AT&T for a variety of reasons but I looked at the maps and they pretty much are it for the edge of the hill country in TX.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Trying to sell my wife on the iPhone 6. She wants the 5C because it's free.

We got the 4's because they were free and it was basically the worst decision we ever made. Trying not to have her on old technology. Already told her I'm moving up, but she's stubborn.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Trying to sell my wife on the iPhone 6. She wants the 5C because it's free.

We got the 4's because they were free and it was basically the worst decision we ever made. Trying not to have her on old technology. Already told her I'm moving up, but she's stubborn.
Sack up and get her the 6. She'll love you for it later.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Agree, if you're definitely staying with Apple, get the 6. It's the first iPhone in several generations that actually looks and feels like a current piece of high-end phone technology.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll make her get the 6, then take my 6.. heh heh, right? heh heh

I'm not moving her from Apple, she can sort of work that phone and changing up her environment would lead to bitching.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
A six shot revolver seems handier for you to keep more than likely, there's not that many phone robberies are there?

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Wtf happened with the plans pricing in the last 3 years? My contract is about done and the closest available plan is $85, that's 30 more than my current $55 (unlimited text, 1GB, fav 10 nationwide). I'm with Bell and from what I hear it isn't better with the others. At an extra $360 a year I'm thinking buying a phone outright and riding my grandfathered rates is cheaper.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
travelling this weekend, wife wanted to do work in car, i haven't kept up with jailbreaking on android or iphone, just got tired of it, wanted to activate the hotspot with verizon, fuck you 40bucks.

holy crap jailbreaking iphone literally takes 1min now 8.1.2

now i gotta jailbreak my ipads and older iphones just in case.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wtf happened with the plans pricing in the last 3 years? My contract is about done and the closest available plan is $85, that's 30 more than my current $55 (unlimited text, 1GB, fav 10 nationwide). I'm with Bell and from what I hear it isn't better with the others. At an extra $360 a year I'm thinking buying a phone outright and riding my grandfathered rates is cheaper.
The Big 3 kept jacking up their prices after the move to 2 year plans. No more hardware upgrades for a lot of the grandfathered plans too, so I just buy my phones outright. None of the current plans even come close to how good my plan is.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
They changed that some time in June/July-ish, thankfully. You now get 4G on prepaid, more info here:Prepaid Smartphone Plans | Verizon Wireless

That reminded me to switch my line over actually, thanks!
That is if you are actually with Verizon. I believe if you are with one of the other MVNO's that uses Verizon's towers you are still blocked from LTE with those providers.

*edit: After further Googling looks like the exception is Page Plus, they just started offering Verizon LTE in Oct. Maybe Verizon is finally wavering on that policy.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
That is if you are actually with Verizon. I believe if you are with one of the other MVNO's that uses Verizon's towers you are still blocked from LTE with those providers.

*edit: After further Googling looks like the exception is Page Plus, they just started offering Verizon LTE in Oct. Maybe Verizon is finally wavering on that policy.
Right, sorta. The only prepaid services that use Verizon's 4G LTE is through Verizon themselves, Page Plus and Straight Talk too.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
3x 64GB Black OPO invites for grabs here, PM me your email if you want one.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
3x 64GB Black OPO invites for grabs here, PM me your email if you want one.
No one ever PM'd me for mine so I guess demand is gone
tongue.png

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Iphone is the "in" thing right now. I have to say TouchID is nice. Not necessary but very convenient. I've also noticed that a small percentage of the apps I regurarly use have much better iphone support then they did on my Note 2 (Android). Kind of sucks because I'm pretty sure Android OS sells more phones overall right?