Smartphones

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah not really interested in straight up buying a phone. Just want something that is both cheap and good. Just really tired of the iOS ecosystem and I like what I've used of android.

Plus something about the exclusivity of the OPO rubs me the wrong way

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Buying a phone straight IS the cheaper option. Get a moto x, nexus 5, or OPO and switch to a prepaid plan.

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
In my family + extended family I'm the only one without an ios phone. I'm very much considering switching back for the ease of FaceTime and imessaging. Plus, ios works. I've been on a Note 3 for the past year, and things don't always work. Ios apps are the leader. With Dropbox photo/video backup, I've experienced corrupted videos backups. Can't say my wife has had that problem with icloud.

Firefox on my note 3 doesn't always work anymore. No real reason, because Chrome works fine. When will my note 3 run the latest android? No fucking idea. And that, in my opinion, is where Google has massively failed with Android. Security/exploit patches ARE A FACT OF LIFE TODAY. Yet in the Android ecosystem, you are left with no realistic way to patch yourself in any sort of immediate fashion.

That is not acceptable. It's 2015 and my flagship phone from only a year ago isn't running the latest Android? It's been out for 2 months. Ios flagship from a year ago, 2+ years ago, gets the same updates as their latest phone, on the same day.

So yeah. Some other quirks. Remembering which default application to use, is useless. Blocking mode needed me to reapply who was allowed to call through after my set time. Nice of Google to make me explain to my wife why I didn't answer her calls.

Do I like android? I do. Do I like ios better? I do not. Which works better for a busy person that doesn't have time to fuck with something that should be self managed? Right now, in my opinion, Ios.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
We are on a cheap as fuck family plan where I basically pay nothing per month. Plus its Verizon so I can't get m dream nexus phone.
I think verizon is giving $25 off per month if you bring your own phone. Also, you might lose some of those features next time you buy a subsidized phone.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
After reading reviews, reviewing the price, weighing my options - I think I'm going to go with the MotoX. I'm upgrading from an Iphone 4, so literally anything will be leaps and bounds better.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I didn't see anything on the note 4, I'm going into Verizon and paying for a note 4 in full very soon ($800). All the other phones in the store weren't that great when I spent a few hours dicking around with them.

I have a Boeing subsidized legacy unlimited data plan @ $50 a month so I'm not doing a trade-up.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Wait a sec. I thought the whole point of the nexus was that it was a pure Android experience. No provider software or UI.

So the Verizon one has all the Verizon crap? that was teh reason that the nexus 5 wasn't on Verizon. V wanted to add their crap, Google said no. No phone.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I didn't read this thread at all, I'm going into Verizon and paying for a note 4 in full very soon ($800). All the other phones in the store were complete shit when I spent a few hours dicking around with them.

I have a subsidized legacy plan (unlimited data @$50/month) so I'm not doing a trade-up or whatever.
I don't understand why you made this post but congrats I guess.

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
I recently bought a Lumia 635 WP 8.1 and for ~$100 you can't beat it for a budget phone. Having a 5c currently for work and previous came from Android, WP is easily my favorite OS. Getting older, a cheap functional phone with decent apps does it for me. My only gripe is that it doesn't have a flash on the camera, also flashlight app.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
No flash for a phone unveiled in 2014 is pretty horrid. Otherwise, looks pretty solid for an entry level model, for sure.

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
Yeah budget Lumia phones have weird restrictions. There's a newer Lumia 530 or 535 coming out and it has everything and I believe it's the same price or cheaper than mine, except that it's 3g only. Why? I have no idea.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone on Verizon been slow as shit today on LTE? In the Phoenix area, and everything is just loading slow. I'm all paranoid because despite having a grandfathered unlimited plan, I used 10.5 gigs last billing cycle, so I'm afraid they are on me and throttling me.
frown.png

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Stupid fucking smart remote. Fucking retarded thing updated automatically today and now it turns itself on and wont shut the fuck off even when I force it off and uninstall the update.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
The last nexus phone on verizon had their crap on it. I mean, you got a better reason for the delay?
Well it seems the are delaying to release with a few other major phone releases. Maybe hoping that you will buy one of the newer, bloatware filled phones yet still say they carry the Nexus

maybe it's wishful thinking...

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
i dont understand. buy a tmo nexus 6, pop in a verizon sim card, and you have a nexus 6 on verizon. i can confirm this works
I did this after my cyber monday Moto X order got lost somehow. I says unknown device or whatever on the verizon account page but everything works no problems.