Smartphones

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nice! Glad it fully integrates you over to the new phone just from the SIM Card.
I'm happy that I can keep the unlimited data while getting a subsidized phone. I really don't even use that much data except when on vacation but screw Verizon.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Cool thanks. May get a S6 - still on the fence with the smaller battery and lack of expandable memory.

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've had an S6 Edge for over a month now, upgraded from an M8... Now while I'm at work (Hospital) my phone goes from 1 or 2 bars 4G to 3 or 4 bars with no data. The only thing I can do is make calls, I can't even text... My M8 kept it's internet at 1 and 2 bars and everything worked. I feel like the S6 doesn't like only having 1 bar and decides to turn off data for a better connection? Anyone have any recommendations?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Man upgrading to lollipop on my note 4 has fucked up picture messaging and group messaging.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is there anything comparable to the S6/S6E right now or in the near future for Android? I don'thateit but everything I read about it bugs me with dumb things like no expansion memory, small battery, typical questionable antenna for Samsung, etc.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Probably the LG G4. It has a removable back with a replaceable battery and SD card slot. Arguably a better camera as well. The down side is that LG moves at a glacial pace with updates, plus it still has it's buttons on the back, if that annoys you.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Probably the LG G4. It has a removable back with a replaceable battery and SD card slot. Arguably a better camera as well. The down side is that LG moves at a glacial pace with updates, plus it still has it's buttons on the back, if that annoys you.
LG was he first OEM to release lollipop by a long shot.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Looks like a wave of Project Fi invites went out and I got one on my account. Trying to decide if breaking a family plan on T-Mobile is worth giving it a go. My current phone (Nexus 5) is on its last legs and I need to replace it. I was hoping to wait for the One Plus Two or Nexus 5 2015. However, only the Nexus 6 currently supports the new SIM. Decisions, decisions.

https://fi.google.com/

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Ahh, they were the ones who did the early rollout in Poland so could say they had upgraded to Lolipop, even though it wasn't widely available. Carriers definitely do their best to shit up updates, especially Verizon, but LG has a reputation for being slow to do OTAs. Would love to see that change though, as the G4 looks to have excellent hardware.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Tmobile was slower than two old dudes fucking to release lollipop on the god damn note 4.

There's not a single carrier that does updates right. They try to fucking drown the update in their shit ware no one gives no fucks about.

Manufacturers build the phone
Google provides the os
carriers provide service

What the fuck is hard to understand about that?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
But carriers need to certify (fill with uninstallable apps) updates to make sure they work properly on their networks!

At least Microsoft is planning on doing it right, with WP 10 updates bypassing carriers and coming straight from Microsoft.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Taking up to 4 months for OTA to happen is absolutely a likely indicator that something's their fault. Other manufacturers had theirs go from done to OTA in a month.
Uh no... carriers are responsible for releasing updates to their own SKU. My Bell Xperia Z2 skipped the 4.4.4 update because they didn't want to spend resources certifying an "outdated update." I either had to flash a global version and get OTAs, or wait half a year for Lollipop. I decided to buy a Nexus 6 and say fuck you to the OEMs/carriers.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Uh no... carriers are responsible for releasing updates to their own SKU. My Bell Xperia Z2 skipped the 4.4.4 update because they didn't want to spend resources certifying an "outdated update." I either had to flash a global version and get OTAs, or wait half a year for Lollipop. I decided to buy a Nexus 6 and say fuck you to the OEMs/carriers.
The carrier IS responsible in the end - but my point was, when one phone takes much longer than others do for the same carriers to get the update ready - there's something different happening that the manufacturer is likely part of in some way.

Perhaps the other manufacturers actually work on testing the bloatware they add first and other stupid shit like that, maybe they send some of their dudes to work with the carrier to help them do it faster, maybe they send them cash to hire more temporary staff to get it done quicker, etc.

If you're making a bench and one person hands you a pile of unsawed wood and the other hands you a bunch of 2x4's and plenty of tools - sure they both supplied you with the same basics you needed to finish making the bench - but with the parts closer to being finished you're going to have a bench done quicker.

There's zero sense that the carriers would delay their OTA update for 4-5 months when other carriers were done in 1-2 unless there's something different at play. [M8's was done months later, yet was finished a week before G3 on Sprint for example - either HTC was doing something way better or LG was doing something way worse - or Sprint preferred them (which is still something LG can have influence on)]

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Got the zenfone, have to send back. Forgot how nice the nexus line really is with no crapware. Shame since spec wise the phone is great.