Smartphones

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
dat note 8

DGIJd4zXgAAi8Ni.jpg:large

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I am really not a fan of the rounded edge 'infinity' screen. My S8+ is sometimes difficult to hold without accidentally touching the screen on the extreme edges which causes button presses or menu popups/ui focus/etc. It's gone a bit too far.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
As much as I dislike the huge bezels on my pixel, I definitely don't want my next phone to go too far in the opposite direction.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Why use Fingerprint at all with the recent Samsungs? Iris works FAAAAAAR faster and more accurately in my experience.

I haven't used an iris scanner, so I have no firsthand experience. Hell, the pixel is the first phone I've had with a fingerprint scanner. That being said, if they're going to have a fingerprint scanner that they expect people to use, they ought to put it in a decent location.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I haven't used an iris scanner, so I have no firsthand experience. Hell, the pixel is the first phone I've had with a fingerprint scanner. That being said, if they're going to have a fingerprint scanner that they expect people to use, they ought to put it in a decent location.

I hated the idea of it on the back, but it's not terrible as you get used to it. (Moreso in my case for the "health monitor" thing for Blood O2, etc next to it for me, but still)

But again, it only really seems there for those that don't want to adapt to the newer better versions. (Iris and Face detection are both options - Face seems about Fingerprint speed, Iris faster so I stick to Iris)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I hated the idea of it on the back, but it's not terrible as you get used to it. (Moreso in my case for the "health monitor" thing for Blood O2, etc next to it for me, but still)

But again, it only really seems there for those that don't want to adapt to the newer better versions. (Iris and Face detection are both options - Face seems about Fingerprint speed, Iris faster so I stick to Iris)

I like the placement on the pixel, my finger rests there fairly naturally. The placement on the note just seems a bit too high if that render is accurate.

I'm not convinced an iris scanner is better than fingerprint. I know both have been spoofed, but does the iris scanner work in the dark?

Vaclav

I like the placement on the pixel, my finger rests there fairly naturally. The placement on the note just seems a bit too high if that render is accurate.

I'm not convinced an iris scanner is better than fingerprint. I know both have been spoofed, but does the iris scanner work in the dark?

Iris has worked for me in the dark with a bright lock screen - but if I use one of the default mostly black ones it's a no-go. I adjust my lock settings when I get home though anyhow - since the bright lock screen was an eyesore to me. Setting alarms, turning off my screen lock and marking all my messages as read are the only 3 things that I've found handy to have Bixby for - but it's a big timesaver for those 3.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I like the fingerprint sensor on the back. I prefer the Pixel and nexus phones placement over the Samsung. The fingerprint sensor on the front is ass and I don't understand why anyone likes it there.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Face up on the desk is why the front can be preferable.

I like the iris scanner too. Only time I use the fingerprint scanner is in the dark. The placement isn't bad, but it's usable.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I tried the iris scanner for about ten seconds into I realized I like sunglasses and said nope

Vaclav

I tried the iris scanner for about ten seconds into I realized I like sunglasses and said nope

That does seem problematic - been going without this summer but planning on some Transitions soon, wonder if my tune will change then.

Works fine with facial recognition I'd imagine though, right?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Can't you set it to use both? Or do you actually have to change a setting to go from iris scanner to fingerprint reader?

Vaclav

Can't you set it to use both? Or do you actually have to change a setting to go from iris scanner to fingerprint reader?

There's very few lock options that aren't usable together - I only have the change the setting because I turn it completely off at home.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That does seem problematic - been going without this summer but planning on some Transitions soon, wonder if my tune will change then.

Works fine with facial recognition I'd imagine though, right?

I don't know I'll have to try it? But... How does either of these work in the dark without IR cameras and an IR illuminator?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Will Iris work if my eyes are completely bloodshot from being hungover? Or do I just need to set it up in those conditions so I'm consistent?

Vaclav

I don't know I'll have to try it? But... How does either of these work in the dark without IR cameras and an IR illuminator?

Only way iris works in the dark for me is with a basically full white lock screen, when it's set like that, I could probably shave with the amount of light it gives off. As far as I'm aware, it doesn't scan for iris' until it's at the lock screen - if not I guess I slowed myself a little by playing with that method when I kept iris on at home, but regardless I just found it easier to turn adjust it to be off when I'm consistently in darker situations.

Will Iris work if my eyes are completely bloodshot from being hungover? Or do I just need to set it up in those conditions so I'm consistent?

I think it actually scans for something that accounts for variations in your eye - I know my woman can use it, and she's got eyes that shift between blue and green. We barely drink, and never to the point of getting drunk so can't quote hungover experience with it though.