Smartphones

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So Ive been getting full page ads randomly popping off on my S7. Never before has this happened. Ill go days with not one add, and then bam, 3-5 in a row. Its frustrating. anyone know of this problem and how to fix it? I suppose its new enough that I could do a factory reset, but I dont want to.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So Ive been getting full page ads randomly popping off on my S7. Never before has this happened. Ill go days with not one add, and then bam, 3-5 in a row. Its frustrating. anyone know of this problem and how to fix it? I suppose its new enough that I could do a factory reset, but I dont want to.

What new apps have you installed? Also check to see what apps have recently updated. Try removing some and see if it fixes it. I had some weather app that was doing that shit.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Happened to me. Did a factory reset. Sucked, but you easily figure out what apps you never used anyway.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its weird because I installed no new apps, it was a brand new phone and I used the dongle they gave me to transfer all the shit from old phone to new one with that smart transfer. No new apps installed at all.

Vaclav

Its weird because I installed no new apps, it was a brand new phone and I used the dongle they gave me to transfer all the shit from old phone to new one with that smart transfer. No new apps installed at all.

Probably carrier bloatware then. What carrier?

Crone

Wtf! Gonna have to do some Google searching. To find out that shit is from Verizon? Fucking cunts...

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Google-fu netted me some answers. Supposedly its from google itself. I guess you have to opt out of their advertising or some shit on their browser. I did it and no ads for the last few days, well see.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
dat note 8

DGIJd4zXgAAi8Ni.jpg:large

Is that a 3D camera I see on there?

Vaclav

Google-fu netted me some answers. Supposedly its from google itself. I guess you have to opt out of their advertising or some shit on their browser. I did it and no ads for the last few days, well see.

Weird, never hit me on S7 Edge nor S8+ (Sprint)

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Got an S8 from work a few days ago. God damn beautiful phone and slippery as fuck. Got a LightArmor Spigen case because I love the kickstand but it messes with my wireless charger (samsung non-fast charge). Will a 3 coil one or the fast-charge version help with this or do I need a new case ?

Also the minimal bloat and the ability to uninstall 90% of Samsung crap left me very impressed.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Got an S8 from work a few days ago. God damn beautiful phone and slippery as fuck. Got a LightArmor Spigen case because I love the kickstand but it messes with my wireless charger (samsung non-fast charge). Will a 3 coil one or the fast-charge version help with this or do I need a new case ?

Also the minimal bloat and the ability to uninstall 90% of Samsung crap left me very impressed.

Get the Spigen angled fast wireless charger, it works fine with that case.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ugh, decision time.

I've been an iphone user primarily since I really took the dive into smart phones (I toyed with a BB Storm first, but it just sucked), and it is what I've always known.

My work provides phones, with a use it how you like policy, and I stayed with them until they went to a corporate version that was more generic than the already crappy 5c, and with insanely small storage on it, I went back to using my own phone and got an iPhone 6+. I loved that phone, but got tired of hauling around two phones all the time, so when the next work upgrade offered a Galaxy s5, that I could expand the storage on, I tried it. Overall, I liked it, but felt iPhone just flat did things better. IE, I just could never type accurately on the galaxy, whereas I could easily type on the iPhone. Also, the finger print system on the galaxy 5 was ass. However, in all fairness I know comparing an older phones early attempts at biometrics to a newer phone's improved version was a bit unfair. I opted to move back to my iPhone 6 and was set on buying an iphone 7s/8 when they came out this fall.

But while I had my Galaxy, I had gotten new hearing aids that pair up with phones via bluetooth, and it worked like a champ. It was a game changer for me, as I now could comfortably talk, because I was no longer trying to aim the little phone speaker to the top of my ear and deal with feedback out the ass. I just assumed iphone's would be similar but it's not. Iphone just simply does not allow you to split up call audio from the rest of the audio for bluetooth. It's all or nothing. Yes, there is a setting in that control panel thing where I can say I want audio to go to the phone, but it always reverts back and there is nothing like your whole world going silent because your hearing aids switch to nothing but iphone audio because you get an email, or facebook update.

So now I'm looking at getting an android phone, because the bluetooth thing is now a vital part of functionality for me, and I am considering a pixel(2) or a galaxy s8. Is there anyone with experience with both? How are the keyboards on them? Also, bluetooth: am I able to tell the phone that I only want call audio on bluetooth on both of them like I can in my galaxy 5? (I can't imagine this no longer being a thing, but I still want to ask). Also I have read that the Pixel had issues with the bluetooth being messed up and constantly disconnected, but may reports say it has been fixed. Is that true?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Also, bluetooth: am I able to tell the phone that I only want call audio on bluetooth on both of them like I can in my galaxy 5? (I can't imagine this no longer being a thing, but I still want to ask). Also I have read that the Pixel had issues with the bluetooth being messed up and constantly disconnected, but may reports say it has been fixed. Is that true?

Generally on Android phones in the bluetooth section you set each device to handle; No Audio, All Audio, Media Only, Calls Only. So for instance my car stereo is set for Media only, and my bluetooth headset can be set for calls only. While driving if a call comes through it will mute media audio going to my car, and take the call over my headset.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I've got a Pixel XL and as Brekk said, you can split phone and media audio for bluetooth since that's a base part of Android.

Some people have had bluetooth issues on the Pixel, but overall mine has been decent. No worse than any phone I had before, but that may also vary based on what you are pairing to it. On android O, bluetooth has been shitty but got better with each release. I'm on the latest developer preview and the only issues I have now are periodic 1-2 second audio cut outs (it remains connected and music continues to play, but you don't hear if for a second or two) and occasionally track info is not sent to my head unit.

I'm still happy with my Pixel, and with the recent discount on it you may want to considering picking up the current version. The Pixel 2 is pretty much gauranteed not to have a headphone jack if that's important to you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've got a Pixel XL and as Brekk said, you can split phone and media audio for bluetooth since that's a base part of Android.

Some people have had bluetooth issues on the Pixel, but overall mine has been decent. No worse than any phone I had before, but that may also vary based on what you are pairing to it. On android O, bluetooth has been shitty but got better with each release. I'm on the latest developer preview and the only issues I have now are periodic 1-2 second audio cut outs (it remains connected and music continues to play, but you don't hear if for a second or two) and occasionally track info is not sent to my head unit.

I'm still happy with my Pixel, and with the recent discount on it you may want to considering picking up the current version. The Pixel 2 is pretty much gauranteed not to have a headphone jack if that's important to you.

This is to both of you guys, thanks so much. I figured that would be the case as that is how the Galaxy 5 is, but I wanted to be sure. Yeah headphone jacks don't bother me since my ears are bluetooth anyway so I have absolutely no need for headphones. But a discounted Pixel may be better than a full priced Pixel 2.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Thanks for the tip about the wireless charger, didn't think to check if they make them themselves. Unfortunately I can't find it locally (Romania) so I'm gonna try my chances with an aliexpress one.