Smartphones

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Google Voice was going to be my answer. After transferring my number to Google Voice, I can text from my computer or phone via Hangouts. Quite handy. And annoying to the people on the other end because I'm typing much faster than them.

Hah. We use facebook messenger here on the ranch but I am the only one that goes to my computer instead of just using the phone for these chats so I am able to dominate the conversation with my walls of text while everyone else is pecking away on their phone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Never used it, Pushbullet has been the go to app for that sort of thing for years.
Oh wow! I'm gonna have to try that. I've been using MightyText app off and on for a long while but it's slow as shit when it comes to group mms messages, so I'm hoping push bullet is better. Thanks!

• 1Like

Crone

Pushbullet is pretty awesome. I used to get up to 5 minute message lag with MMS group texts on MightyText, but Pushbullet has them showing up near instantly. Thanks again for the suggestion Denamian Denamian !!

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Pushbullet is pretty awesome. I used to get up to 5 minute message lag with MMS group texts on MightyText, but Pushbullet has them showing up near instantly. Thanks again for the suggestion Denamian Denamian !!

Just be aware that it has limitations unless you pay for a subscription.

Never had a use for it myself but I've been hearing good things about it for years. Glad it works for you.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I picked up the monthly sub. Better typing at my computer than the bosses seeing me with my phone in my hand.

bwaha

• 1Worf

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The Bluetooth on the Moto g5 plus has pretty great range. I just forgot my phone in the other room and I didn't lose connection with my headphones through multiple concrete walls

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think the consensus has been the Pixel 2 for a while. At least I haven't heard that the S9 knocked it off?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
between the Samsung Galaxy S9+, Google Pixel XL 2, Samsung Galaxy Note8, and Motorola moto z2 force edition...

what should i get?

really tempted to get the Pixel XL 2, but if i recall correctly, there were complaints about it versus the smaller version?

been doing a lot of gaming on my phone lately, so a larger screen size sounds nice.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
between the Samsung Galaxy S9+, Google Pixel XL 2, Samsung Galaxy Note8, and Motorola moto z2 force edition...

what should i get?

really tempted to get the Pixel XL 2, but if i recall correctly, there were complaints about it versus the smaller version?

been doing a lot of gaming on my phone lately, so a larger screen size sounds nice.

Other than the Z2 Force, which I know nothing about, those are all good phones. I would personally go for the Pixel 2, but that's because I prefer stock android and knowing that I'll get timely updates. If you go with the S9+ or Note 8, try to buy an unlocked one to minimize uninstallable shitware.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Other than the Z2 Force, which I know nothing about, those are all good phones. I would personally go for the Pixel 2, but that's because I prefer stock android and knowing that I'll get timely updates. If you go with the S9+ or Note 8, try to buy an unlocked one to minimize uninstallable shitware.

whatever i get, i will be paying a monthly payment for it through Verizon, if that makes a difference. so maybe even bloatware on the Pixel.

oh, they're doing a buy one get one free on all those models, but turns out the second phone is locked to my account for 24 months, non transferrable... unless there's a way i can jailbreak it and sell it? :) never unlocked a phone before, not sure how feasible it is anymore.

the Pixel XL 2 also throws in a Google Home Mini, a Chromecast, two months of YouTube TV, and $100 off your bill on top of the buy one get one offer. so i'm now definitely considering that one the most, i think, even having considered it the most before i realized all the freebies.

$31 a month for two years for all that. so $750 in the long run. pretty awesome deal really.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
whatever i get, i will be paying a monthly payment for it through Verizon, if that makes a difference. so maybe even bloatware on the Pixel.

oh, they're doing a buy one get one free on all those models, but turns out the second phone is locked to my account for 24 months, non transferrable... unless there's a way i can jailbreak it and sell it? :) never unlocked a phone before, not sure how feasible it is anymore.

the Pixel XL 2 also throws in a Google Home Mini, a Chromecast, two months of YouTube TV, and $100 off your bill on top of the buy one get one offer. so i'm now definitely considering that one the most, i think, even having considered it the most before i realized all the freebies.

$31 a month for two years for all that. so $750 in the long run. pretty awesome deal really.

I'm pretty sure that buying through Verizon will mean that it will come with some basic shovelware and Verizon's own apps, but I believe they'll all be uninstallable.

If you're really interested in rooting the Pixel 2 it's not too bad. Unlocking it should be as easy as typing in oem unlock in ADB, but I'm not sure if there is extra fuckery in the Verizon version. You can find more info here: Google Pixel 2 Forum on XDA Developers

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Anyone have some input on which Android phone has the absolute best built-in camera?

Absolute best that I've heard of would be the Huawei P20 Pro. I don't believe Huawei is officially selling it in the US after the AT&T deal fell through.

Rear camera:
Tri-lens camera:
40 MP (RGB, f/1.8 aperture) + 20 MP (Monochrome, f/1.6 aperture) + 8 MP (Telephoto, f/2.4 aperture), supports autofocus (laser focus, deep focus, phase focus, contrast focus)
Note: The photo pixels may vary depending on the shooting mode.

Reviews have said that the software engages in some black magic fuckery to produce amazing pictures for a phone. Supposedly if will even compensate for phone movement when doing longer exposures and holding the phone in your hand.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty sure that buying through Verizon will mean that it will come with some basic shovelware and Verizon's own apps, but I believe they'll all be uninstallable.

If you're really interested in rooting the Pixel 2 it's not too bad. Unlocking it should be as easy as typing in oem unlock in ADB, but I'm not sure if there is extra fuckery in the Verizon version. You can find more info here: Google Pixel 2 Forum on XDA Developers

thanks man, you always have good advice.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
went with the Pixel XL 2. pretty excited, it's going to be the nicest phone i've ever owned. should make sitting in that hospital bed a little easier.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
got my Pixel XL 2, went with overnight shipping since the agent i talked to knocked off the $30 upgrade fee. digging it so far. the screen colors are more off than i anticipated from the reviews i read, tho. will take getting used to. otherwise, it's awesome!

edit -- nvm, i found the saturated colors setting they added, much better

• 1Like

Crone

got my Pixel XL 2, went with overnight shipping since the agent i talked to knocked off the $30 upgrade fee. digging it so far. the screen colors are more off than i anticipated from the reviews i read, tho. will take getting used to. otherwise, it's awesome!

edit -- nvm, i found the saturated colors setting they added, much better
Right on! One thing I had to do on my Samsung S7 Edge is turn off the Verizon Cloud app. It was trying to back up shit to the cloud every hour and was killing my battery life. I completely disabled it, and things were much better.

• 1Like