Smartphones

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I at least cracked mine in an original way. I was welding with it in my shirt pocket and sparks went into my pocket and melted half a dozen tiny holes in the screen and then as the day went on, a crack formed out to each of the little holes.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Louis

Trakanon Raider
The difficulty varies by model. Just be careful and slow. When seperating the halves from each other, they will have a wire between the two that you scan snap easily and be fucked.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Anyone else using an iphone 7plus that gets the error "device unreachable" when trying to swap videos from your phone to your pc? it works with pictures just not videos

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Time to replace my Note5. Currently looking at the Huawei Honor 10 models but is there some hot shit on the horizon I should wait for?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Note 9 and Pixel 3 will be out in the fall but you will pay big bucks for both of them.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
For those looking for a budget 6 inch phone, Nokia Pro 7 has been excellent to me the last few weeks since I got it.

Zhro

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have the S8 and been wanting to upgrade and I was seeing about going non-Samsung this time around just for a change and the LG G7 ThinQ kind of peaked my interest.

Does anyone have any thoughts or should I just stay Samsung and go for S9+? I wouldn't do a Note 9 as I had a Note before and didn't really use the stylus and that whole suite that much.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
LG's update support is even shittier than Samsung's. Had both a G2 and G4, and while I liked both phones (Knock On is great), their one killer feature (removable batteries) went away after the G5. LG pushed phone updates for my G4 for maybe 18 months before they stopped.

If you want an Android phone with longer-term support (without rooting and DIY), Google's pretty much your only choice at the moment unless the other manufacturers get off their collective asses and start taking advantage of the Treble optimizations. Pixel 3 will be out in a couple months.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Pixels are just well-made phones; I just refuse to buy something made by Google on principle.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Really want my stylus back after it was ripped from my hands with the Note 7. Can't wait!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Know of a smartphone without a camera? Sometimes I send guys into the field and it would be nice if they could use a smartphone to do some stuff, but they can't carry a camera without a lot of paperwork for security reasons. I've done all the stuff enough times I can do most of it in my head or on a calculator but that took 25 years of doing it.

Any ideas? My sister use to manage a company that did alarm systems and they provided all their installers with flip phones without a camera for security reasons as well, but would be nice to not be a flip phone.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
There are a number of apps that will allow you to disable the camera on the Google Play store. You could add password protection to the camera disablement app so that your employees couldn't turn it off?

Unless that's still not considered kosher, of course.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The guard at the gate isn't going to go thru all that trouble to make sure it's not a working camera. Sorry. I have permission to carry a camera on site at all times but I have no use for the phone. The other guys need the phone but would be a long ass background check and be a "prove to need now" type deal on each basis. Nothing to do with security or trade secrets I don't thinkg, pretty sure they just don't want some greenpeace type taking pictures of what the inside of a refinery or chemical plant looks like. Not the cleanest looking place in the world.

I googled and most of the stuff that came up was for broken cameras.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I didn't know of any off hand and searching didn't yield any phones less than 3-4 years old that may no longer be fore sale.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Know of a smartphone without a camera? Sometimes I send guys into the field and it would be nice if they could use a smartphone to do some stuff, but they can't carry a camera without a lot of paperwork for security reasons. I've done all the stuff enough times I can do most of it in my head or on a calculator but that took 25 years of doing it.

Any ideas? My sister use to manage a company that did alarm systems and they provided all their installers with flip phones without a camera for security reasons as well, but would be nice to not be a flip phone.
Looks a couple of years old but may be a good place to start.

Intrinsically Safe Smartphone without Cameras