Smartphones

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Pharmakos tell me color you want I'll send tempered glass screen protector, case, etc. Dont worry about money I got it

I know you're going through stuff so Pm me I'll figure out how to send it to you without you worried about your personal info being used

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So the Note 9 is gonna be basically identical to the S9+ , with just an added Stylus. A leak just came out saying the in glass finger print reason is gonna come to the S10 and S10+ Spring 2019, but I'm not waiting that long.

So my S7 Edge is paid for this Fall, do I score a deal on a S9+ on the cheap, go with the Note 9, or just suck it up and wait for the S10? I can never decide. :(

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had the Note 8 and when it got lost (drunkenly left it in an Uber), I went with the S9+. Note 8 simply felt too big and noticeably heavy. I really only used the stylus fucking around with gif pics. Really happy with my S9+ and don't plan on upgrading for the foreseeable future. Just starting using the dual SIM feature on it as well. One for local SIM and 2nd slot for my new UK number. The fact it runs as basically two phones in one and can receive calls on either SIM simultaneously is pretty damn cool.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What's the best glass screen protector for the Pixel 2 XL? All the ones on Amazon are boosted with fake reviews and every verified review says they are pieces of shit. Not to mention I think they are all from the same manufacturer, just different branding, because they are all listed with the same brackets [ ] across the brands. The only ones by manufacturers I recognize aren't glass, and I really sort of prefer that. Except the $45 one that comes with a UV light, I don't need that much in a screen protector though.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Pharmakos tell me color you want I'll send tempered glass screen protector, case, etc. Dont worry about money I got it

I know you're going through stuff so Pm me I'll figure out how to send it to you without you worried about your personal info being used

Just want to say thanks again for this man, this case is great. :)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
What's the best glass screen protector for the Pixel 2 XL? All the ones on Amazon are boosted with fake reviews and every verified review says they are pieces of shit. Not to mention I think they are all from the same manufacturer, just different branding, because they are all listed with the same brackets [ ] across the brands. The only ones by manufacturers I recognize aren't glass, and I really sort of prefer that. Except the $45 one that comes with a UV light, I don't need that much in a screen protector though.

The one with the UV light is probably the Whitestone Dome. It’s worth every penny. No joke. Best tempered glass protector I’ve ever used. Bought one on multiple phones now (Note 8 and iPhone X). No issues.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just got a Samsung s8 through work, does anyone know if it can output to a monitor with a desktop interface like the Huawei EMUI?

I see it has something called a Dex, but would rather avoid buying/carrying another device for it and just use a cable/or cast if possible.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So Google Assistant searches have stopped working on my phone for some reason(Pixel 2 XL- fully updated). Tasks like reminders and timers are working, but when I try searching, I get 'oops can you try again'(see below). Any idea what causes this? I've deleted/reinstalled the Google app, but it doesn't fix it. I have yet to do a factory reset and would prefer to avoid it, but I use this feature a lot. I also have a Google Home. Not sure if that would affect the searches on my phone.

1528379536627.png

Crone

Anyone else getting the Note 9? Gonna be upgrading from a S7 Edge that I got after being forced to give up the Note 7. I can't wait to be back into a Note!

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
So frustrated with smartphone shopping. My G4 still works just fine, but I have to replace the damn thing because it is EOL and no longer getting security patches.

The S9 is beautiful, and I love mobile wallets, so Samsung Pay is a huge plus. But Sammy's only been doing updates quarterly instead of monthly as promised.
Pixel 2 is good as far as security, but $849 is freaking ridiculous for a 6" phone. I would also rather not have Google anally probing me with my phone.
OP6, the price is right, the features are there, but the security sucks.
Meanwhile, over in the Cult of Jobs, the iPX is fugly, and the iP8+ is like the Pixel; far more than it should be. I also hear iOS11 is a buggy mess.

No idea what to do. The planned obsolence of it all pisses me off.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone ever tried to replace a screen on a phone before? I cracked the screen on my S8 the other day and also the headphone jack is failing and I'm tempted to try replacing them both myself. I replaced the back glass on my Nexus 6P a year or so ago and it was a piece of cake, but this is a much bigger project. From the videos on Ifixit though, it doesn't seem that difficult. Anybody tried it? I understand that if I destroy my phone doing this I'm going to be SOL with any warranty/insurance.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Anyone ever tried to replace a screen on a phone before? I cracked the screen on my S8 the other day and also the headphone jack is failing and I'm tempted to try replacing them both myself. I replaced the back glass on my Nexus 6P a year or so ago and it was a piece of cake, but this is a much bigger project. From the videos on Ifixit though, it doesn't seem that difficult. Anybody tried it? I understand that if I destroy my phone doing this I'm going to be SOL with any warranty/insurance.

Done screen replacement on a samsung s6 a few years back and it was pretty easy - make sure you have something sturdy and very thin to wedge under any edges and any tools you need. No clue about the headphone jack, presume that might be fiddly.

Crone

Check around to some local repair shops. The price to do that might cost similar to what it costs to get the parts to do it yourself. But yea, it's not that hard if you have the right tools, and some patience.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

Articles in Consumer Reports that I've seen make it sound doable, but it could turn into a pain in the ass depending on the phone. They had some DIY enthusiast try to fix it, and even they recommended just taking it to a repair shop.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I live in the sticks so it's pretty hard to get it to a repair shop. It seems that cleaning the headphone jack with a q-tip has solved the problems with it so I will most likely just get used to the cracks in the screen for now, but it sounds like a fun thing to try. I would not be happy with my choice if I destroyed the phone though.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The s8 and s8+ are notorious for easy screen cracking. Earlier this year my s8+ slipped out of my pocket while I was changing the oil, fell less than an inch and of course...spider crack'd the whole screen =\