Smartphones

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Well, I wasn't sure if I wanted to order the Pixel 3 or the Pixel 3XL. I currently have the Pixel XL, and I really like the larger screen.

So I measured my current screen, and realized the smaller screen would most likely bother me more than the notch. So I ordered the Pixel 3XL. Here is to hoping it doesn't drive me crazy.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well, I wasn't sure if I wanted to order the Pixel 3 or the Pixel 3XL. I currently have the Pixel XL, and I really like the larger screen.

So I measured my current screen, and realized the smaller screen would most likely bother me more than the notch. So I ordered the Pixel 3XL. Here is to hoping it doesn't drive me crazy.

In the same boat here, I went all in on the Pixel 3 XL. Upgrading from a Nexus 6p. Really just getting more screen, the overall size of the Pixel 3 XL is actually slightly smaller than the 6p. Looked pretty neat.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Jesus Christ, $800 minimum for a Pixel 3? Those prices can get fucked.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I was finally going to buy my first smartphone and this was going to be it, but those prices are ridiculous.

I just need a good device that supports wifi calling on a cheap plan. Any suggestions?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I really hate how Google just has to put the stupid notch on their phones too. It ranks up there with eliminating the headphone jack as one of the stupid design decisions of the 2010's.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Wife has been wanting a new phone for a while, and Verizon is doing the kinda-B1G1 thing, so guess I'm leaving my TMobile plan and hopping back into a family plan w/ hers and getting a 3XL.

She drank enough kool aid watching that presser that she wants to start replacing our (7) Alexa devices w/ Google devices.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Due to my previously mentioned nightmare customer service experience with Samsung, I'm very keen on trying to find a new phone. But giving up the Note 9 I lose micro SD slot, S-pen, 3.5mm jack, 64gb storage, and gain Android P? Maybe a better camera? There's some cool call screening stuff happening on the Google phone, true, can I get that on the Note 9?

I wanna "stick it to the man!" and fuck Samsung, but their hardware is just too good?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Due to my previously mentioned nightmare customer service experience with Samsung, I'm very keen on trying to find a new phone. But giving up the Note 9 I lose micro SD slot, S-pen, 3.5mm jack, 64gb storage, and gain Android P? Maybe a better camera? There's some cool call screening stuff happening on the Google phone, true, can I get that on the Note 9?

I wanna "stick it to the man!" and fuck Samsung, but their hardware is just too good?
Screenshot_20181009-215917_Gallery.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You're right, I can't give up the Note 9. It's so good! I've asked them how they are going to compensate me for having to deal with this return process for a month.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I really hate how Google just has to put the stupid notch on their phones too. It ranks up there with eliminating the headphone jack as one of the stupid design decisions of the 2010's.

Even worse is how non notch android nine phones now have a notch gap in the notifications bar

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Even worse is how non notch android nine phones now have a notch gap in the notifications bar

My Pixel XL doesn't have a notch gap and It's running 9. The clock was moved to the left side of the notification bar (likely as part of notch support) and you can simulate various notch styles in developer options. 9 just has official, OS level support for notches. Before 9, OEMs had to make changes to android to support them.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
My Pixel XL doesn't have a notch gap and It's running 9. The clock was moved to the left side of the notification bar (likely as part of notch support) and you can simulate various notch styles in developer options. 9 just has official, OS level support for notches. Before 9, OEMs had to make changes to android to support them.

My Pixel 2 XL now only displays 5 notification icons with the 5th being a "." to let you know you have more than 5. The "." starts where the notch would

Are you saying there's a way to turn it off?

Can you remove the "software notch" from Android Pie on the Pixel 2? : GooglePixel

Edit: not sure if this just refers to Pixel 3

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My Pixel 2 XL now only displays 5 notification icons with the 5th being a "." to let you know you have more than 5. The "." starts where the notch would

Are you saying there's a way to turn it off?

Can you remove the "software notch" from Android Pie on the Pixel 2? : GooglePixel

Edit: not sure if this just refers to Pixel 3

Yeah, I see what you're saying. 9 no longer displaying more than 4 notifications at a time annoys me, as does moving the clock to the left. I don't know of any way to change that off the top of my head other than a custom ROM.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So I just realized something, and I may actually change my order from the XL to the regular phone. The screen size going from the Pixel XL to the Pixel 3 is actually the same size. It is just a smaller overall phone. I am not sure I really need a screen larger than 5.5

Pixel Comparison.png

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Still triggered every time I'm reminded of that wasted surface area on the Pixel XL. Which is every time I look at my phone.

Still want the Note 9 so fucking bad, but my Pixel XL still runs perfectly fine. First world problems over here.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ordered my Pixel 3XL today. Upgrade from Galaxy S8+. Looking forward to a raw Android device. ;)

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Still triggered every time I'm reminded of that wasted surface area on the Pixel XL. Which is every time I look at my phone.

Still want the Note 9 so fucking bad, but my Pixel XL still runs perfectly fine. First world problems over here.

Correction... My Pixel XL has some nasty screen burn going on. Even more noticeable the past few months

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
The wife has a Samsung S5 mini and needs something new. I'm partial to Xiaomi but their recent model setup confuses me. I'm looking to buy as much of a phone as I can get for $200 while still giving my wife a chance to hold it in her hand.

Any pointers?