Smartphones

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Key2 is 6"x2.8". Are you just looking for a device that fits the size format of the iPhone 5? Or just looking for modern tech in the smallest format? Looked at the Galaxy S10e?

mtnhmr

Trakanon Raider
Key2 is 6"x2.8". Are you just looking for a device that fits the size format of the iPhone 5? Or just looking for modern tech in the smallest format? Looked at the Galaxy S10e?

I've invested into a BB KeyOne, the old gen of a physical keyboard may have stolen me away. Thank you for your suggestions an inquiry though!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So my Pixel 1 died. It got stuck in a reboot loop and you can't get to the desktop for more than 10 seconds before it reboots again. Being in recovery mode, nor master reset fixed the issue. Looks like I need a new fucking phone. Which sucks.

I'm thinking Pixel 2 I guess. I'm cheap.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So my Pixel 1 died. It got stuck in a reboot loop and you can't get to the desktop for more than 10 seconds before it reboots again. Being in recovery mode, nor master reset fixed the issue. Looks like I need a new fucking phone. Which sucks.

I'm thinking Pixel 2 I guess. I'm cheap.

Google just stopped selling the Pixel 2, so you'd probably have to find a used one.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I picked up a refurb Pixel 2 XL off Amazon a couple weeks ago. It's a very nice phone. Just make sure to buy from a seller that'll ship from Amazon's warehouse and has their renew guarantee. I paid $314 for mine.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that's what I did. Renew Guarantee Pixel 2 Not XL for $250. Way better than trying to vet shit on Ebay.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Any u Bros get the Galaxy s10? If so liking it?

Got the s9 and love it. Love the fingerprint reader on the back. Perfect phone if they didn't add the bixby button.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>

Got the s9 and love it. Love the fingerprint reader on the back. Perfect phone if they didn't add the bixby button.

You can remap that bixby button for s ingle press to launch whatever but it will always be the bixby with a double press. I have a note 9 with a slimmer case and i pretty much stopped pressing it by accident when i pick the phone up or whatever.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
There's been rumors about a "Pixel 3 Lite" version coming out during the summer. If it's got wireless charging and is in the ~$400 range that might be my next phone.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I installed Accubattery just to get better battery stats and it says to only charge my phone to 80% each time instead of 100% to prolong the life of my phones battery. It said you get a 200% increase in battery life. I did some Googling and it seems to be true even though it seems to good to be true.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>

It's the same as the s9 pretty much. I've always liked the galaxy phones so I just upgrade every year.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider

I had ordered an S10 it arrived yesterday, took me under a couple hours to decide to return it. The in screen fingerprint reader is trash, it should never have been shipped. And as someone who'd never had a Samsung phone before the infestation of crapware is mind boggling, I'd heard about it but I guess my mind couldn't comprehend how bad it could be.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I had ordered an S10 it arrived yesterday, took me under a couple hours to decide to return it. The in screen fingerprint reader is trash, it should never have been shipped. And as someone who'd never had a Samsung phone before the infestation of crapware is mind boggling, I'd heard about it but I guess my mind couldn't comprehend how bad it could be.
Love my s9 reader location. Switch to front had been my biggest hesitation. Thanks for confirming, will keep

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What bloatware are you talking about? Or are you talking about Verizon and Samsung apps that are there and you're just not used to them?

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
What bloatware are you talking about? Or are you talking about Verizon and Samsung apps that are there and you're just not used to them?

I'm Canadian, had bought it directly unlocked so no carrier shit. For me it was the quantity of samsung trash, the extent they sleazed it into the OS and made it difficult to not use (e.g. camera hard linked to the samsung gallery app), then topped it off with repeated notifications/popups about their crap and even some shitty McAffee android anti-malware.

Crone

I'm Canadian, had bought it directly unlocked so no carrier shit. For me it was the quantity of samsung trash, the extent they sleazed it into the OS and made it difficult to not use (e.g. camera hard linked to the samsung gallery app), then topped it off with repeated notifications/popups about their crap and even some shitty McAffee android anti-malware.
I mean, McAfee android anti malware is shitty and doesn't come on American Samsung phones, but complaining about their gallery app is pretty borderline. It definitely sounds way worse than phones here, but the first time you do any action it comes up with what app you want to use. Are those the popups you're talking about?

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I mean, McAfee android anti malware is shitty and doesn't come on American Samsung phones

The internet suggests otherwise.

but complaining about their gallery app is pretty borderline.

Far from it, the user should have the choice in what software they use.

It definitely sounds way worse than phones here, but the first time you do any action it comes up with what app you want to use. Are those the popups you're talking about?

Dude, I'm a software developer. The phone spams notifications about enabling random Samsung crapware, enabling McAffee, shows popups on each video about enabling a video mode (leaving the setting off means the next time you play a video again Samsung will once again pop a dialog over the video with one of its annoying alert sounds).

I would also say the security model on the phone seems very poor, many of the built-in applications which have absolutely no reason to have it start with Change System Settings permission if you remove it the phone automatically gives the permission back.

Its battery optimizer breaks push notifications for Hangouts and would presumably affect other software too. The whole software experience is substandard and unacceptable particularly given that the industry has been ramping up prices in recent years.

Last edited:

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I totally agree about 3rd party crap. It's why I bought the Nexus in the first place. I'd have traded up for a Pixel by now, but a focus on cameras aren't worth the huge price tag to me. My Nexus is in perfect condition because I don't break my things. Stock Android is very nice.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Crone

The internet suggests otherwise.

Far from it, the user should have the choice in what software they use.

Dude, I'm a software developer. The phone spams notifications about enabling random Samsung crapware, enabling McAffee, shows popups on each video about enabling a video mode (leaving the setting off means the next time you play a video again Samsung will once again pop a dialog over the video with one of its annoying alert sounds).

I would also say the security model on the phone seems very poor, many of the built-in applications which have absolutely no reason to have it start with Change System Settings permission if you remove it the phone automatically gives the permission back.

Its battery optimizer breaks push notifications for Hangouts and would presumably affect other software too. The whole software experience is substandard and unacceptable particularly given that the industry has been ramping up prices in recent years.
I have the Note 9, and my experience has been the exact opposite. I'm on Verizon, and I've disabled only a couple apps in total? Granted things could have changed between the Note 9 and the S10 but doubtful, and seems more regional differences.

Sorry it sucked so bad for you. The S10 is a sweet phone hardware wise.