Smartphones

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah figured it out. Let's not name it RCS even though that's what it is. It's working for now

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It's probably because the average user has no idea what RCS is so they called it something they'd understand more easily.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
alavaz alavaz bug today with Google fi where they were charging full price of the phone if you financed. We got charge but instantly reverted. Just a heads up

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
No wireless charging killed it for me. It's exactly the phone I want to buy and at a great price but I'm all in on wireless charging now. Disappointing. I get the feeling that I'm the only one that cares about this though.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
No wireless charging killed it for me. It's exactly the phone I want to buy and at a great price but I'm all in on wireless charging now. Disappointing. I get the feeling that I'm the only one that cares about this though.

I was the same until I got usb-c fast charging. Now I can never go back.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wireless charging never really took off for me. I feel like it's dead tech
Agreed. If they were able to make a thin large mat that could cover a night stand and I didn't have to worry about still getting it on a wireless charging stand, that'd be fine, but nope. Who gives a shit if the card is attached? It's stupid as shit.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I was the same until I got usb-c fast charging. Now I can never go back.

The USB-C port on my Galaxy S8 died in less than a year. I'm not dealing with that shit again. Fuck connectors.

Also, stands like this:

images

Which I now have all over my house means it can't be misaligned and it also doubles as a nice alarm clock.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
RCS is fixed now, it took about a week for it to finally settle down. Disabling it on the old Nexus stopped that phone from receiving them, but then my phone was sending RCS messages into the ether. After about a day, my phone decided it only wanted to send SMS to my wife, and those worked fine. All of a sudden today RCS is working. What a strange system. Also it reminds me of when I switched from Apple to Android and iphone users couldn't text me because even though I cancelled iMessage, it was still trying to send those texts to imessage.

Crone

RCS is fixed now, it took about a week for it to finally settle down. Disabling it on the old Nexus stopped that phone from receiving them, but then my phone was sending RCS messages into the ether. After about a day, my phone decided it only wanted to send SMS to my wife, and those worked fine. All of a sudden today RCS is working. What a strange system. Also it reminds me of when I switched from Apple to Android and iphone users couldn't text me because even though I cancelled iMessage, it was still trying to send those texts to imessage.
WhatsApp, and be done with the bull shit. Encrypted end to end, no really limits on file size, sent and read receipts, etc. Basically iMessage for Android.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
WhatsApp, and be done with the bull shit. Encrypted end to end, no really limits on file size, sent and read receipts, etc. Basically iMessage for Android.

Unfortunately that just means you now get to deal with the bullshit of getting others to switch, plus the possibility of Facebook finally deciding to start fucking with it.

As an improvement on the SMS standard, RCS is supposed to avoid that problem if it cant get wide enough adoption. The problem being that everyone wants to fuck with the standard and implement it slightly differently. Hell, Google is only pushing for it because they can't figure out messaging themselves.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My whole family is on FB messenger and it works great for us. I would probably switch to WhatsApp in a perfect world but it's not worth the hassle of trying to get everyone to switch. The other nice thing about FB Messenger is that pretty much everyone has facebook so even if they don't use messenger you can still send them a message without having to know their phone number or email address.

Crone

My whole family is on FB messenger and it works great for us. I would probably switch to WhatsApp in a perfect world but it's not worth the hassle of trying to get everyone to switch. The other nice thing about FB Messenger is that pretty much everyone has facebook so even if they don't use messenger you can still send them a message without having to know their phone number or email address.
Everyone has their hang ups and flaws. Using WhatsApp for my wife and I , and then regular text for everyone else, is fine for me. I don't talk to anyone else really in the family, so me being on Android isn't a huge deal. But to others it wouldn't work. FB Messenger to me, sounds like death , despite, as you say, everyone in the family being on FB.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I don't know. When I see screenshots of WhatsApp and iMessage they look exactly like FB messenger to me but I haven't used them so maybe there are differences. How bad can it be if you type words into it and they show up on your friends phones?

Crone

I don't know. When I see screenshots of WhatsApp and iMessage they look exactly like FB messenger to me but I haven't used them so maybe there are differences. How bad can it be if you type words into it and they show up on your friends phones?
Probably not bad at all, and you're right, they all look identical these days. I think it has to do with not wanting to have anything to do with FB, more than anything else.