Smartphones

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
On that note does anyone recommend a brand of cable for replacement? I bought some on Amazon and apparently they were a scam and the market is saturated with horse shit

BensonApproved This is a list of the cables tested and approved by Benson Leung. He's a Google employee that has been testing USB C cables for a while.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Well, the battery life on my Pixel XL has fallen of a cliff over the last month. Just ordered a new battery and am going to attempt to replace it myself. I just hope I don't destroy the screen in the process.

I kind of regret not picking up a Pixel 3a when they were $100 off for Fi subscribers, but I wanted to wait for the Pixel 4 before I made that decision. The OnePlus 7 Pro is another consideration, but I'm not a fan of the curved glass front and I prefer the fingerprint reader to be on the back.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Fuck. Broke the display while removing it. I had to heat that bastard to the point where I couldn't handle it for more that 10-15 seconds in order to loosen the adhesive. I finally get to cutting through the adhesive and and the light catches the display just right and I see a bunch of tiny cracks in the oled panel. Power it on and it registers touches, but the display won't even light up anymore.

Ordered a Pixel 3a XL, it arrives Thursday. At least my nephew gets a new phone for the cost of replacing the display.

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I've had a Pixel 2 XL for awhile now and it's the best phone I've ever had, and it wasn't even super expensive - I think $399.

We got my wife a Pixel 3 on the Google Fi anniversary for $399 or 349 or whatever and it's really nice as well. No way in hell I'd pay $800+ like some of you dudes do, and I use my phone A LOT.

Careful with the 3a, they cut a lot of corners intentionally to keep the cost down. This isn't to disparage the device, you just have to realize it's half price of a Pixel 3 for a reason.

Damn, I'm really kicking myself after reading that. Verizon (only carrier in my area that supports 4g) had the 2xl for $240 and I slept on it and now it is sold out. Been holding out as long as I can on my note 3 but it is finally starting to show signs of failure. Was hoping there would be some crazy good fathers day sales but it looks like the best is the Pixel 3 for $500 at Bestbuy or the 3aXL for $400 from Verizon store.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Fuck. Broke the display while removing it. I had to heat that bastard to the point where I couldn't handle it for more that 10-15 seconds in order to loosen the adhesive. I finally get to cutting through the adhesive and and the light catches the display just right and I see a bunch of tiny cracks in the oled panel. Power it on and it registers touches, but the display won't even light up anymore.

Ordered a Pixel 3a XL, it arrives Thursday. At least my nephew gets a new phone for the cost of replacing the display.
Let us know how you like the 3a XL vs the older models. I have an original XL that I got in place of a 6p. I've always loved the Google phones, but the prices have become stupid.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Let us know how you like the 3a XL vs the older models. I have an original XL that I got in place of a 6p. I've always loved the Google phones, but the prices have become stupid.

Having had the 3a XL for a few days I'm really happy with it. Build quality is nice, it feels very solid, and the plastic body is much less slippery than the original XL. The screen is an improvement as well, despite the lower pixel density. Performance wise, it's just as good, if not a slight improvement. It does seem a little more aggressive with memory management though, tossing games out of memory so they have to be restarted. Battery life beats the shit out of my old XL even when it was new.

If Google keeps making a mid range phone of this quality and at this price, I probably won't ever bother with $800+ flagships ever again.

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Thoughts on the Note 10? Haven't seen any confirmed details, but looking to replace my S8+ at its contract end which lines up with the Note 10 release. No headphone jack is a hard pass. Everything else, sold. Want a bigger screen, bigger battery. Doing a lot of my work from my phone these days, so more power all around sounds great. Battery on my S8+ is still relatively solid, but not what it was when it was new. About 80%, which is a lot better than the 40-60% I was getting out of my S6 after two years....

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Skipping the 10(for now), waiting for the new glass they have been working on so they can actually release the fold(Work buying phone haha)...

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I have a samsung s7 edge. Need a new phone now as that one got left out over the holiday weekend in a bad thunderstorm. Considering I haven't purchased a phone in a handful of years would it be worth it to pull the trigger on the S10+ and keep it for a "long" time?

I was thinking of buying the Galaxy S9+ since it's way more reasonable on price but looks like they are sold out virtually everywhere. For the 10+, the monthly payments and "ease" make it very attractive to just walk into the store and walk out.

Deep inside I just want a shitty cheap flip phone to say fuck you to the telecoms but it would be nice to have a solid device for good photos and random mobile apps. Assuming since it's the flagship model it will have support for a while...

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Deep inside I just want a shitty cheap flip phone to say fuck you to the telecoms but it would be nice to have a solid device for good photos and random mobile apps. Assuming since it's the flagship model it will have support for a while...

I would give the Pixel 3a a good look. Very reasonably priced, excellent camera, 3 years of updates. $399 for the base model and $479 for the XL. I've had the XL for almost a month now and it's a damn good phone.

• 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I picked up a Oneplus 7 pro through t-mobile a couple weeks ago and love it. Upgraded from a LG G4. All my bluetooth devices work flawlessly now, where they were kinda spotty on my G4. A little more than I usually spend on a phone but I know I'll get at least 3-4 years out of it. The 256gb version I got is still $50 cheaper than the s10e. I'll probably never use the selfie camera so I don't have to worry about the motor failing. And 256gb is more than enough for audiobooks, podcasts and music so a non upgradeable sim isn't a big deal. It's bigger than any phone I've owned in the past which is taking a little getting used to.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Google got me with their latest email deal. Sent me a code for $300 off of a Pixel 3. $72 trade-in for my busted ass Galaxy S8 gets it down to $427 total. Still seems like quite a bit to pay for a phone but I'm really looking forward to no more of Bixby begging me to use it when I hit the stupid ass button by accident and also playing around with that camera.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Nope. Even the S10 has it. They did make it so you could like double tap it to use a different ap or something but fuck that. Mine is supposedly "turned off" but there is always still a pop-up when you hit it accidentally.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I haven't bothered reassigning it because I hit the shit so often I don't even want what I've assign it to to load... Disabling it would be great, but alas.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
In the market for a new phone, and I am considering getting a Pixel, my last two phones ASUS Zenfones. Any thoughts or suggestions?

It has to be unlocked because I refuse to pay the big boys their big boy prices, been with Cricket (AT&T) for the last 3 years, but I am considering switching to Visible because Verizon has better coverage in my area.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've had no complaints with my Pixel or with Fi.

I don't really use my phone for much though.