Smartphones

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
S20 officially revealed today. $999 for a base model phone that will have two (maybe three if we're lucky) years of support. Samsung is fucking delusional.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
S20 officially revealed today. $999 for a base model phone that will have two (maybe three if we're lucky) years of support. Samsung is fucking delusional.
Are they though? That's how Apple is going, and all the rest just discount the phone to try and compete. The millions that buy it say different. Of course they will all buy it on those payment plans for $40/month.

And besides, paying $1000 for a device that you literally use more than anything else in your life? Why not. Can easily get a couple years out of it, if not more. If you go more, it just gets cheaper.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Are they though? That's how Apple is going, and all the rest just discount the phone to try and compete. The millions that buy it say different. Of course they will all buy it on those payment plans for $40/month.

And besides, paying $1000 for a device that you literally use more than anything else in your life? Why not. Can easily get a couple years out of it, if not more. If you go more, it just gets cheaper.

Apple phones get security and OS updates for approximately twice the duration, and the base model iPhone is currently clocking in at $300 cheaper (plus the iPhone 9/SE2 is likely to drop at $400 versus the Galaxy A71 which is running $550). Sure, conspicuous consumers are gonna conspicuously consume, but for someone who is a buy-and-hold-until-EOL customer like myself, there would be no way that you'd get an S20.

Don't get me wrong; I love Sammy phones from an aesthetic and pure hardware perspective, and my fiance works for them. But as far as long-term value propositions go? Pass.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Apple phones get security and OS updates for approximately twice the duration, and the base model iPhone is currently clocking in at $300 cheaper (plus the iPhone 9/SE2 is likely to drop at $400 versus the Galaxy A71 which is running $550). Sure, conspicuous consumers are gonna conspicuously consume, but for someone who is a buy-and-hold-until-EOL customer like myself, there would be no way that you'd get an S20.

Don't get me wrong; I love Sammy phones from an aesthetic and pure hardware perspective, and my fiance works for them. But as far as long-term value propositions go? Pass.
Fair enough. I'd be curious to see how many people update their phones, versus hold on to them for long periods of time. I feel like it's rare to see someone with a brand new phone, and most just seem to have whatever phone they've had for 3+ years, put a new case on it, or a new pop socket on it, and call it good and keep trucking.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Ended up grabbing a used-very good Pixel 3 XL during the 20% Amazon Warehouse sale that arrived today. It is in mint condition. Couldn't be happier to have picked it up for less than $250. Hopefully it will last me another 2 to 3 years while these companies pull their heads out of their asses and make more phones with dual front-facing speakers.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Specs on these new Samsung phones are crazy. Holding out for the first round of dual screen devices this fall though.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
The new apple night mode is making me rethink my ban on apple products...
Would save me and arm and a leg getting that over a flir system.
Unless there is something better in the smartphone market.
Suggestions?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I thought he mean dark mode, where it's just dark like a PC darkmod. Could be wrong.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I got my s20 Ultra delivered yesterday. Going from an S7 Active to this beast is quite the adjustment. This thing is like the John Holmes of cellphones. Wifi speed is crazy. I hit about 700 meg upload on my Fios gigabit.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I just got my S20 Ultra, upgraded from an S8+. Yeah, monster upgrade. This thing is a beast. The Pixel 4 in comparison is fast, but not this fast. And the camera on the Pixel 4 sucks ass, even compared to my S8. Bit annoying the minor changes to the interface, like home/back. The thumbprint being on the screen is also different, but getting used to that quickly.

Also annoying loading up all aps. Could transfer but those processes always add pointless shit, and bug out some aps meaning I have to uninstall and reinstall them anyway. All my pics and shit are on my 128GB microsd, so everything else doesn't matter.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I just got my S20 Ultra, upgraded from an S8+. Yeah, monster upgrade. This thing is a beast. The Pixel 4 in comparison is fast, but not this fast. And the camera on the Pixel 4 sucks ass, even compared to my S8. Bit annoying the minor changes to the interface, like home/back. The thumbprint being on the screen is also different, but getting used to that quickly.

Also annoying loading up all aps. Could transfer but those processes always add pointless shit, and bug out some aps meaning I have to uninstall and reinstall them anyway. All my pics and shit are on my 128GB microsd, so everything else doesn't matter.
In case you don't know, it defaults to 60mhz refresh rate. Turn on 120mhz refresh. It does hit the battery a bit but holy shit smooth scrolling Batman.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
In case you don't know, it defaults to 60mhz refresh rate. Turn on 120mhz refresh. It does hit the battery a bit but holy shit smooth scrolling Batman.
Have you run speed tests yet? For some reason I'm capping at 100mbps on wifi with a signal showing 700mbps. 4G LTE with 4 bars is running 70/7. I have gig internet that usually runs 700-900+ on my desktop. Supposedly this device can pull 1gig on a good 5G signal... Wondering where or why it's being limited. All my other wireless devices run 300-600 depending on the device.

Even in "high performance" mode.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Have you run speed tests yet? For some reason I'm capping at 100mbps on wifi with a signal showing 700mbps. 4G LTE with 4 bars is running 70/7. I have gig internet that usually runs 700-900+ on my desktop. Supposedly this device can pull 1gig on a good 5G signal... Wondering where or why it's being limited. All my other wireless devices run 300-600 depending on the device.

Even in "high performance" mode.
Yeah, I'm getting 350mg plus download and 600mg plus uploads on my FIOS 1 gig wifi.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This is really annoying. But apparently my S8 is capping at 100mbps, also, but that one has a shitty transceiver.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So the screen on my phone has apparently started to bow out on the left center side. Is this a thing I should worry about or think about getting a new phone? It's a Moto g5+ that I've had for years. It still works completely fine, but I noticed that the other day and now it bothers me. I have no idea how long it has been like that or the cause. I can't remember dropping it any time in recent history

image.jpg

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So the screen on my phone has apparently started to bow out on the left center side. Is this a thing I should worry about or think about getting a new phone? It's a Moto g5+ that I've had for years. It still works completely fine, but I noticed that the other day and now it bothers me. I have no idea how long it has been like that or the cause. I can't remember dropping it any time in recent history

View attachment 262484

Is the battery expanding?