Smartphones

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I honestly don't know how to tell. The only time I've seen unexplained bulging is in older devices where the battery has expanded. But usually these are much older devices. Like I had an OG iPhone 3g that did it after staying in my car for several years as an mp3 player.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
If is it the battery expanding, that is bad and it should be replaced. The only way to tell for sure is to open up the phone though.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If I want to replace it (some googling does seem to say it is the battery bulging) what is a good phone in the $200-$300 range? I hate spending more on a phone than that because I don't really use it. Some light browsing of the forums, texting, a few phone calls. Most of what it gets used for is listening to audible in my car and before I go to sleep.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I just got an Amazon Used-Like New Pixel 3XL for just over $300 and it is pretty great. I highly suggest going the Used-Like New route to get a better phone with the backing of Amazon's return policy. A lot of times you can get a phone that just had package damage and was never even taken out of the box.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
If I want to replace it (some googling does seem to say it is the battery bulging) what is a good phone in the $200-$300 range? I hate spending more on a phone than that because I don't really use it. Some light browsing of the forums, texting, a few phone calls. Most of what it gets used for is listening to audible in my car and before I go to sleep.

Pixel 3a is 299 right now, I have the XL which is $60 more. Excellent phone for the price, but the 4a should be coming soon. The Moto G series is also very solid for the price if you want to just go with the current version.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My Pixel 3 is still working really well. The battery life has gone down a bit but other than that it's totally solid. Most of my family uses Moto G's and they are fine except for the camera. The camera is not terrible on them, but my pixel 3 camera just wipes the floor with it.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

The moto G series is still solid. I have your phone, my kid has the next generation. Hers was about the same price, and performs exactly as well as you'd expect it too.

If you're happy with the G5+, just keep on rolling, imo.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I thought about waiting for the Pixel 4a, but said screw it and just got the 3a since it's $100 cheaper right now. I like the feature set, and figure I should give google a try. Hopefully it actually gets here next week. While I don't expect anything bad will happen with my phone it does make me nervous

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I thought about waiting for the Pixel 4a, but said screw it and just got the 3a since it's $100 cheaper right now. I like the feature set, and figure I should give google a try. Hopefully it actually gets here next week. While I don't expect anything bad will happen with my phone it does make me nervous

Yeah, if that is the battery, you don't want it to fail Samsung style.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Initial impression on the Pixel 3a is this is pretty good phone for $299.

I think the fingerprint reader on the back will take some getting used to though. It's in a reasonably natural spot, but definitely an adjustment to think about using it for an unlock

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Initial impression on the Pixel 3a is this is pretty good phone for $299.

I think the fingerprint reader on the back will take some getting used to though. It's in a reasonably natural spot, but definitely an adjustment to think about using it for an unlock

I'm not looking forward to the day where the fingerprint reader is gone from that spot. Reaching in to my pocket and having the phone unlocked before I can even look at it is convenient.

Sadly it's already gone from the Pixel 4.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I love that spot for the fingerprint reader.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Rumor has it they are bringing it back with the 4a. I skipped the 4 because of minor decisions like that. I have a Pixel 2 and am thinking it's time for an upgrade to a 4a.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The screen on the pixel 3a is so much nicer than my g5+. That's the biggest difference for my so far. I look at my phone and the colors are just so nice

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I will say on a different note, it's rather hilarious how much information google has about you in what they can predict for your interests and things.

Also, apparently there is like a lookup on phone numbers you call? I just ordered Chinese, and when I was hanging up my phone I saw it had put the name there? That's a pretty neat feature.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, that's part of the Google dialer, which can be put on any phone. It will look up the number you are calling if it's not already in your contacts.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, that's part of the Google dialer, which can be put on any phone. It will look up the number you are calling if it's not already in your contacts.
What's the app? I see Google voice apps but not a dialer?