Smartphones

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Screenshotted>
Switching to iPhone this year. Lesser of two evils when it comes to privacy

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
I have had both brands. Galaxy > iPhone. Especially the new S20 Ultra.
I've been using galaxies since the s6. Love them. Currently have an s10. Biggest thing that kept me was the audio jack staying. I do a lot of international travel to less developed parts of the world. So I end up listening to a lot of music to pass the time on long flights, car rides etc and the last thing I want is to carry around Bluetooth headphones, one more thing to charge.. Often charging can be limited so I keep a beastly Anker battery which I'll sometimes have charging my phone while I listen to music.

Love the S10 and I don't doubt the s20 is better than iPhone in many ways. S20 is the biggest I'd be willing to go.. 6.2 inches. However, as someone who had never bought an apple product or planned on it, but purchased a MBP 2 years ago, I've now ended up with an iPad and Apple TV as well. It's a seamless environment. Easily screen share between all the devices etc. Switching to iPhone is mainly at this point to just fully embrace that environment for convenience and also more privacy. I still think apples shit is way overprice, their QA has gone down, and I'm having really mixed feelings about switching from a phone made in s Korea to China with our current situation (fuck China).

One thing I just noticed is u.s. version of s20 isn't dual SIM. iPhone has dual SIM with esim. That's a huge bonus for me as I buy local sim cards when I travel to other countries. Would be awesome not having to switch them out constantly to make sure I didn't have any important calls come in on my U.S. number.

Can you elaborate why you prefer your Galaxy over iPhone? I'd prob switch now if the iPhone has USB c.. rumor is this year's won't either which is a wtf bummer.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
I've been using galaxies since the s6. Love them. Currently have an s10. Biggest thing that kept me was the audio jack staying. I do a lot of international travel to less developed parts of the world. So I end up listening to a lot of music to pass the time on long flights, car rides etc and the last thing I want is to carry around Bluetooth headphones, one more thing to charge.. Often charging can be limited so I keep a beastly Anker battery which I'll sometimes have charging my phone while I listen to music.

Love the S10 and I don't doubt the s20 is better than iPhone in many ways. S20 is the biggest I'd be willing to go.. 6.2 inches. However, as someone who had never bought an apple product or planned on it, but purchased a MBP 2 years ago, I've now ended up with an iPad and Apple TV as well. It's a seamless environment. Easily screen share between all the devices etc. Switching to iPhone is mainly at this point to just fully embrace that environment for convenience and also more privacy. I still think apples shit is way overprice, their QA has gone down, and I'm having really mixed feelings about switching from a phone made in s Korea to China with our current situation (fuck China).

One thing I just noticed is u.s. version of s20 isn't dual SIM. iPhone has dual SIM with esim. That's a huge bonus for me as I buy local sim cards when I travel to other countries. Would be awesome not having to switch them out constantly to make sure I didn't have any important calls come in on my U.S. number.

Can you elaborate why you prefer your Galaxy over iPhone? I'd prob switch now if the iPhone has USB c.. rumor is this year's won't either which is a wtf bummer.

The proprietary nature of the iPhone system bugs the crap out of me. I have had numerous iPhone going way back. I remember dealing with iTunes and wanting to move my music in and out that wasn't bought through them and at the time it veunf impossible (now changed). As a consumer, I don't like proprietary.

I'm not knocking the quality of the product. Iphones are top shelf. Its just for me, Galaxy products are also top shelf. I tried out a Galaxy S7 Active and the whole no case needed thing was amazing. From there I was impressed with the Galaxy line and haven't looked back. I have the S20 Ultra and it is on par, if not better, than any Apple product out there. I pair it with a cheap Samsung watch (my phone is on silent in the office so the watch is for alerts mainly). The SD card slot is just a no-brainer and the fact Apple refuses so you will cloud with them is crap. I have a 256g SD card in my phone.

I'm not one of the "Apple suxxors" crowd. Of the two product lines, I prefer the Galaxy.

Ps.. 100x zoom on the Ultra is dope if you are in to that sort of thing.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have an iPhone for work, and a Note 9 for personal, and the only thing keeping me on the Android eco-system is the text from PC app Pushbullet. Let's me run all text messages from my computer. When text and talking with some family who write books of texts, that makes it so much easier. I understand I could do this from a Mac, I think? But only iMessage, and so I couldn't text anyone on Android. It's not a huge deal even, but giving that up bugs me.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
The proprietary nature of the iPhone system bugs the crap out of me. I have had numerous iPhone going way back. I remember dealing with iTunes and wanting to move my music in and out that wasn't bought through them and at the time it veunf impossible (now changed). As a consumer, I don't like proprietary.

I'm not knocking the quality of the product. Iphones are top shelf. Its just for me, Galaxy products are also top shelf. I tried out a Galaxy S7 Active and the whole no case needed thing was amazing. From there I was impressed with the Galaxy line and haven't looked back. I have the S20 Ultra and it is on par, if not better, than any Apple product out there. I pair it with a cheap Samsung watch (my phone is on silent in the office so the watch is for alerts mainly). The SD card slot is just a no-brainer and the fact Apple refuses so you will cloud with them is crap. I have a 256g SD card in my phone.

I'm not one of the "Apple suxxors" crowd. Of the two product lines, I prefer the Galaxy.

Ps.. 100x zoom on the Ultra is dope if you are in to that sort of thing.
Fair assessment all around that I agree with. Hate how they make shit proprietary and the no microsd card but we'll charge you like $200 more for $15 equiv microsd memory is dumb for sure.

• 1Truth!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Do people not like Facebook messenger for some reason? I don't understand why you would want to use iMessage or some Google thing that doesn't work on apple and not be able to talk to half the people when there's Facebook messenger and WhatsApp that work seamlessly on both platforms. Pretty much everyone I know uses Facebook messenger and I couldn't care less if they're on apple or Android except for one aunt and uncle and their kids who insist on using iMessage and makes organizing family gatherings into a shit show. They all have Facebook and Instagram accounts too so it's not like they're boycotting Zuckerberg or something.

Edit:. Facebook messenger also works from a PC.

Last edited:

Crone

At least half of the people I talk to are not on Facebook, and have no desire to use any Facebook product, or link their messaging to Facebook. Not really a boycott, but I don't use my Facebook account for years, so it feels weird to use the Messenger part of it?

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
All I'm saying is that it's a real easy way to get around all the proprietary shit with apple and Google. You sort of answered my question though. "I don't use Facebook" is the new "I don't have a TV" for the too cool for school types so they actually prefer to be using something that strokes their elitism even though it doesn't work as well.

• 1Picard

Crone

All I'm saying is that it's a real easy way to get around all the proprietary shit with apple and Google. You sort of answered my question though. "I don't use Facebook" is the new "I don't have a TV" for the too cool for school types so they actually prefer to be using something that strokes their elitism even though it doesn't work as well.
Do you have to have a Facebook profile in order to use Messenger?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
Do you have to have a Facebook profile in order to use Messenger?
Nah. At least you can deactivate your profile but keep messenger.

I like messenger but I've noticed they've been censoring certain links I send and I don't trust Facebook.

Crone

Nah. At least you can deactivate your profile but keep messenger.

I like messenger but I've noticed they've been censoring certain links I send and I don't trust Facebook.
Interesting. So you can FB message someone from a phone number? I mean, I have WhatsApp that I use with the wife, so that I can send her full videos/pictures, without compression.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
Interesting. So you can FB message someone from a phone number? I mean, I have WhatsApp that I use with the wife, so that I can send her full videos/pictures, without compression.
Uhh it's complicated? My number isn't linked to mine but that's probably ok because I have a deactivated fb profile. You'd honestly just need to go through the sign up process to find out, I'm not sure.

FB has been trying to do this clusterfuck of integrating things across WhatsApp/Instagram/messenger/fb which is interesting. You'll see what I'm talking about with cross platform stories later this year. Honestly from my understanding it seems like a dumb idea.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I don't know when this became a feature, but I can now use Messages on my computer by going to messages.google.com. It is pretty slick. It seems like they are moving the way of iMessage after too fucking long.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
I don't know when this became a feature, but I can now use Messages on my computer by going to messages.google.com. It is pretty slick. It seems like they are moving the way of iMessage after too fucking long.
Yep. It's pretty nifty. It's been around since last year. Like you said they're late to the game on this.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yep. It's pretty nifty. It's been around since last year. Like you said they're late to the game on this.
It can be terribly finicky though, at least for me. There are days where I have to re-connect multiple times to get it to work.

Lately it has been a whole lot better, but the previous 3 months or so it was being a pain in the ass.

• 1Truth!

Crone

I'm pretty sure it's a thing that only works for Google phones or something. Similar to their call screening phone App. I feel like I checked it out on my Note 9, and it wouldn't work. Or else it would, but I had to switch to a different Messaging app? I don't know.

I'm totally and completely happy with Pushbullet, so no troubles or worries there.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
It can be terribly finicky though, at least for me. There are days where I have to re-connect multiple times to get it to work.

Lately it has been a whole lot better, but the previous 3 months or so it was being a pain in the ass.
Yep it was completely broken for me for like 2 months..

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
I'm pretty sure it's a thing that only works for Google phones or something. Similar to their call screening phone App. I feel like I checked it out on my Note 9, and it wouldn't work. Or else it would, but I had to switch to a different Messaging app? I don't know.

I'm totally and completely happy with Pushbullet, so no troubles or worries there.

You have to use the google messaging app, but it works with any (?) phone. I have it on my One Plus 6t.