Smartphones

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Pixel 4a arrived today. So far, after a few hours of use, it's a nice upgrade from the pixel 2. Replaced my wife's refurbished Pixel 3 also with a 4a. If you don't need anything too demanding you can't beat $350. The camera/software also competes with the top end phones.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Pixel 4a arrived today. So far, after a few hours of use, it's a nice upgrade from the pixel 2. Replaced my wife's refurbished Pixel 3 also with a 4a. If you don't need anything too demanding you can't beat $350. The camera/software also competes with the top end phones.

The 4a really doesn't have specs that far above the Pixel 2 XL. Mostly just double the storage, more ram, and slightly upgraded graphics. Battery size is smaller too. If the "rumored" 4a 5G specs are true, it actually has a larger batter than the Pixel 2 XL and seems like the much better deal. Especially with it having 5G.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm afraid this is an almost laughable question, but how much can you de-google a flagship android phone? I'm looking hard at the new Galaxy Note. My phone is going on 2 years old and unfortunately has had some issues that make it feel older, and I do like my top of the line toys. However I've also been gradually weening myself off the Goog and so I'm curious about how much rooting actually does these days, and how accessible it is.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm afraid this is an almost laughable question, but how much can you de-google a flagship android phone? I'm looking hard at the new Galaxy Note. My phone is going on 2 years old and unfortunately has had some issues that make it feel older, and I do like my top of the line toys. However I've also been gradually weening myself off the Goog and so I'm curious about how much rooting actually does these days, and how accessible it is.

It's been a long time since I last rooted a phone, but Android Forum for Mobile Phones, Tablets, Watches & Android App Development - XDA Forums should still be the place to go to find out how to do it for your device.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Have crappy Moto g something power. Since it updated, any time I hit the "enter" key the keyboard falls away and I have to tap the chat box to get it to come back up

Only in browsers it seems

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
Have crappy Moto g something power. Since it updated, any time I hit the "enter" key the keyboard falls away and I have to tap the chat box to get it to come back up

Only in browsers it seems

Mist Mist please report for tech support assistance

• 1Worf

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The 4a really doesn't have specs that far above the Pixel 2 XL. Mostly just double the storage, more ram, and slightly upgraded graphics. Battery size is smaller too. If the "rumored" 4a 5G specs are true, it actually has a larger batter than the Pixel 2 XL and seems like the much better deal. Especially with it having 5G.
This is pretty much where I am. Was thinking of going to a 4a from my 2XL but it wasn't quite sold and want to see how the 5 turns out.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
This is pretty much where I am. Was thinking of going to a 4a from my 2XL but it wasn't quite sold and want to see how the 5 turns out.

I've had a Pixel 2 XL for 3 years. Was happy paying £26 a month on a sim-only contract.

Pixel 5 looked underwhelming - I took a new contract with my network to get the Pixel 5 and the Bose wireless headphones. Then bought the OnePlus 8t for £549. Will sell the Pixel 5 for £500-549.

The OnePlus arrived earlier and honestly I haven't been blown away - not that smartphones can really blow me anyway, but considering the upgrade from a 3 year old phone I haven't seen anything amazing yet. Admittedly all I use it for is web browsing and the usual social media apps.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
So I was at a park today in my town that has a trail to the top of a hill. Clear view to the west. Manhattan is 35 miles away. Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra with 100x zoom is crazy. First pic is no zoom which shows how insanely tall the skyscrapers are that you can see them from 35 miles. Zoom in on the hi-res pic. Second is uptown at about 75x zoom.The third is Freedom Tower from 35 miles with 100x zoom
20201018_124140.jpg
20201018_124213.jpg
20201018_124300.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've had a Pixel 2 XL for 3 years. Was happy paying £26 a month on a sim-only contract.

Pixel 5 looked underwhelming - I took a new contract with my network to get the Pixel 5 and the Bose wireless headphones. Then bought the OnePlus 8t for £549. Will sell the Pixel 5 for £500-549.

The OnePlus arrived earlier and honestly I haven't been blown away - not that smartphones can really blow me anyway, but considering the upgrade from a 3 year old phone I haven't seen anything amazing yet. Admittedly all I use it for is web browsing and the usual social media apps.
I'm still rocking the 2XL as well, and other than some slight battery weakening, it is still going strong. I used to avidly upgrade every 2 years, or less with the Verizon thing where you could do it like 6 months early, but I think we've finally hit the smartphone wall where new ones really don't do much more than the previous ones. Nothing inspires me to take on that extra cost or payment again until I have to. It isn't like I even think about shitty Instagram or Facebook being "slow" either. They are plenty fast for how infrequently I use them. And I rarely take any pics that pixel density and color quality blah blah even matter anymore.

Other than just having to have the newest shit, is anyone really finding much to be excited about with newer phones? I'm asking seriously, because maybe I'm missing something.

Oh, and I'll be pretty sad when I have to give up my forward facing speakers finally. Fuck rear speakers. Whomever invented those, and convinced people it was ok to blast their fucking conversations to everyone in a mile radius, deserves to be lynched.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've been really happy with my 3a. Has all the features I need. I have to say, at this point phone pay is a mandatory feature for me

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Maybe not the best thread for it dunno. But went and got a new number. On xfinity cellular. And now I have random people that will receive my calls on new number but my texts come across on the old. I dont know if comcast fucked up vs my best guess is a update at start of year let my texts etc be delivered kinda like fb messenger where you can seeif theyve been delivered/read etc. But that feature is hit or miss it only does that with some contacts, I think basically others that have done the same thing.

Any ideas what I need to fix?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Got Moto G Stylus since mostly I talk on the phone or take a few pics. I like the stylus since I have issues with dexterity and feeling in my fingers. WalMart is/was doing a closeout saw on slick deals. Store had only 1 and it took them a while to find it. $87.

Borzak

All phones may do this now no idea. If you hold the phone vertically and take a video it is made in landscape mode. I guess I'm ready to take a video of a riot now.

Borzak

Nope, some kind of lock? or 'feature'?
The review said the sensor for video was turned sideways in the phone. I can't tell by looking but you just hold it vertical and it does landscape video. If that's what is going on surprised it took this long. Amazon had a deal of the day on it for $190. Wondering if they are shoveling them out before a new one or whatever. The Moto G Power was included in that.

So far works well for the $87 I paid for it. Before the deal of the day it was $299. $190 on a deal. $87 on clearance at walmart. Like I said I'm not a big phone guy. Typing with the stylus is a huge improvement for me since limited feeling in my hands.