Smartphones

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Anyone tried the oneplus nord 8/128gb?

No but I do have the 8t and the camera really is as bad as people say, it's fucking dog shit. In fact, this post just made me go to Amazon to see if I can return it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I haven't had a OnePlus since the original, but the camera has always seemed like the big feature holding it back.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Got Moto G Stylus since mostly I talk on the phone or take a few pics. I like the stylus since I have issues with dexterity and feeling in my fingers. WalMart is/was doing a closeout saw on slick deals. Store had only 1 and it took them a while to find it. $87.

I traded in my pixel 3xl to project fi for $180 and got the g7 stylus for $99 and my bill paid for a few months. Only thing I missed was the qi charging but grabbed an external one for on my desk I pop in to use when I'm not on the go.

So the weird thing I'm hoping someone could clear up for me is, when I put the G7 stylus on the charging pad without the external battery hooked in, it lights up trying to charge it but obviously can't, but why is that? Is the hardware there to charge it but not enabled or something else? Maybe it just has a cheap battery not capable? Would be great if there is a way to turn it on via software or something.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Don't know on the charger. As little as I use a phone the Sylus easily last more than a day for me.

Not really related to phones but, ordered a case and one of the reviews for one "Gave it a 4/5 great case, can't plug in the charger with the case on so I take it off each charge. Not a big deal though". WUT, more proof Amazon reviews aren't worth anything.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Getting a top-end Samsung through Google Fi is looking fairly tempting.

How difficult is it to remove most of the Samsung crapware and get it closer to stock Android?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Without going to like Lineage os 16 or something similar you won't

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Getting a top-end Samsung through Google Fi is looking fairly tempting.

How difficult is it to remove most of the Samsung crapware and get it closer to stock Android?

The best you could probably do would be to uninstall the crapware that you can, disable what can't be uninstalled, then install a launcher like Nova. Otherwise it's root and rom.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There isn't that much bloatware on my Samsung Note 9 that I had to do anything with. Honestly, I just had to disable Verizon Cloud storage, as that was draining the battery way too fast. Saw today that the iPhone 12 has a Mini version coming out, and I'm gonna get that next. I just don't need that big of a phone anymore, and so I look forward to a powerful phone in a small package. Going back to the Apple eco system should be interesting.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I've ordered a One Plus 8 pro to replace this 8t as it was 20% off on Amazon, so only £50 more than the Pixel 5, which is out of stock everywhere

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Phone on Android 10. How can I turn off the voice (talking) portion of google assistant only. If I say ok google and weather. I don't need google to go on and on about the weather, especially since it mispronounces the name of the town I am in. I really rather it just open things or search for whatever and not talk to me at all. I found a few vids but it was very hard to understand the Indian person talking. Most searches show how to google assistant off entirely.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Phone on Android 10. How can I turn off the voice (talking) portion of google assistant only. If I say ok google and weather. I don't need google to go on and on about the weather, especially since it mispronounces the name of the town I am in. I really rather it just open things or search for whatever and not talk to me at all. I found a few vids but it was very hard to understand the Indian person talking. Most searches show how to google assistant off entirely.

I have never heard of a way to stop assistant from talking back. Only to keep it from responding to your voice altogether.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Block all applications and stop using smartphones. They are limbic stimulators meant to create soyboys and destabilize societies for technocrats and china to rule

• 1Jonesing

Crone

iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 Mini go on pre-order tomorrow morning at 5am. Gonna have to get up early to pre-order the Mini, just can't decide what the hell color to order!

Ordered my Note 9 two years ago on promotion for $400 off ($600 total), and now I'm trading it back in on a promotion for $412. I'm ok with all this. The Mini 64gb version is $700, so my payments for the next couple years come out to about $12 per month. The promo is only for certain plans and not the plan I'm on. Fucking lame!

Edit: What a cluster-fuck. Lol... but an hour and a half later I finally have the iPhone 12 mini pre-ordered from Best Buy. Bonus is, I'm doing in-store pickup across the border into Oregon, so no sales tax. Saves me $60. Long story short, Apple and Verizon's website wouldn't work for the pre-order and phone support took an hour of messing with shit to finally get it to work only to tell them no thanks because Best Buy's website worked flawlessly.

Last edited:

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Through
iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 Mini go on pre-order tomorrow morning at 5am. Gonna have to get up early to pre-order the Mini, just can't decide what the hell color to order!

Ordered my Note 9 two years ago on promotion for $400 off ($600 total), and now I'm trading it back in on a promotion for $412. I'm ok with all this. The Mini 64gb version is $700, so my payments for the next couple years come out to about $12 per month.
Which carrier or promo? I'm thinking about upgrading my Note 9 to the new iphone.

Crone

Through

Which carrier or promo? I'm thinking about upgrading my Note to the new iphone.
Oops, see my edit above. On Verizon, but the promo only works if you change or already are on one of their 5g plans. Otherwise, instead of $412, they only want to give me $140 for the Note 9.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Oops, see my edit above. On Verizon, but the promo only works if you change or already are on one of their 5g plans. Otherwise, instead of $412, they only want to give me $140 for the Note 9.
I been with Verizon for years. I think I'm on their 5g plan. Shit I really don't know i just pay the damn bill but I know I've been having their unlimited data plan forever and I was grandfathered in when they made changes to their plans. I'll have to check my account info and see.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Maybe a strange place to ask this, but trying to work out a headset thing for using my iPhone. Will be leading a training class at work for 3-4 hours a day for the next three weeks. I hate speaker phones, hate how I sound, how others sound, everything. But holding the phone up to my ear with left arm while driving a mouse with right hand just isn't going to be feasible. Tried it this week on a dry run.

So I've got a ModMic Uni that always sounded good to me on the PC in games and am thinking about using that for the iPhone. Google has been real hit or miss for adapters to plug this in to my iPhone 11 Plus or Pro or whatever it is. Would I just use a Lighting > 3.5mm adapter? Do I need two 3.5mm so that I can use a headset + mic? I could use my same gaming set up but not sure the iPhone can drive the Sennheiser headphones.

Just lost bc I hate headsets and speakerphones and working from home now need to figure this out so I sound less like a turd.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Im not sure even an android phone would accept the mic uni. It's an output jack vs an input jack as far as I know but not positive Apple's are like that. Best bet would be something bluetooth so you can get something that supports input and output. Any cheap bluetooth headset you can bare wearing for those hours would do

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Im not sure even an android phone would accept the mic uni. It's an output jack vs an input jack as far as I know but not positive Apple's are like that. Best bet would be something bluetooth so you can get something that supports input and output. Any cheap bluetooth headset you can bare wearing for those hours would do

On just about any phone the headphone jack accepts both input and output. I've got an old pair of wired earbuds that have a built in mic for calls.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
good to know, I can't remember the last time I actually used an audio jack on a phone