Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
airpod pros are actually awesome im glad i bought a pair

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Thanks all. Yeah, based on all the internet reading it does seem like BT is the way to go. Which isn't an issue was just trying to reuse what was on hand with maybe a $15 adapter. May do some more research tomorrow and see what is recommended BT wise. There were a lot of $200+ options, going to see what work will pay for.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thanks all. Yeah, based on all the internet reading it does seem like BT is the way to go. Which isn't an issue was just trying to reuse what was on hand with maybe a $15 adapter. May do some more research tomorrow and see what is recommended BT wise. There were a lot of $200+ options, going to see what work will pay for.
There's plenty of options on Amazon under $60 that work just fine. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a pair that will work without having to spend that much money.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I've done some searches, and it seems I am going to be out of luck but figured I would check here as well.

I finally broke down and am getting an iPhone, but something I didn't count on was not being able to text via my PC. I do probably 90% of my text messages from my computer, which is super easy to do with Android. I just found out that imessage doesn't work that way, and you need a Mac do make it work.

Anyone here have any ideas on how to make that work? I read about installing Ipadian, but reviews of that seem to suggest it is full of malware and viruses.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
There's plenty of options on Amazon under $60 that work just fine. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a pair that will work without having to spend that much money.

If works paying, works paying

Vorph

I'm about to upgrade from S9 to Note 20 Ultra. Can't trade in my S9 because Spectrum is like pretty much all US corporations and existing customers are told to go fuck themselves if they try to use any of the incentives that new customers get. So rather than try to sell it I'm thinking of adding a second line (essentially zero cost, Spectrum pretty much only charges you for data and the phone side of things are practically free aside from FCC bullshit) and then giving the phone to my mother. She currently has a flip phone which Verizon charges her an insane amount per month for even the most basic service at a senior "discount". Even so, she can barely use the thing; despite it being a flip phone the writing is small on both the buttons and on the screen itself. She manages to use a Kindle Fire 8 for books without too much trouble though, so I'm hoping I can get her to switch to a smart phone too.

Anyone have experience setting up a different UI or launcher for elderly relatives? I wouldn't use Android without Nova Launcher for myself, but I'm not sure it really has that much functionality for people who need 'uge buttons and a greatly simplified screen.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm about to upgrade from S9 to Note 20 Ultra. Can't trade in my S9 because Spectrum is like pretty much all US corporations and existing customers are told to go fuck themselves if they try to use any of the incentives that new customers get. So rather than try to sell it I'm thinking of adding a second line (essentially zero cost, Spectrum pretty much only charges you for data and the phone side of things are practically free aside from FCC bullshit) and then giving the phone to my mother. She currently has a flip phone which Verizon charges her an insane amount per month for even the most basic service at a senior "discount". Even so, she can barely use the thing; despite it being a flip phone the writing is small on both the buttons and on the screen itself. She manages to use a Kindle Fire 8 for books without too much trouble though, so I'm hoping I can get her to switch to a smart phone too.

Anyone have experience setting up a different UI or launcher for elderly relatives? I wouldn't use Android without Nova Launcher for myself, but I'm not sure it really has that much functionality for people who need 'uge buttons and a greatly simplified screen.

I've never done it specifically for the elderly, but Nova is pretty damn flexible and can blow up the icons to 150% and you can reduce the number of icons per row to make them very easy to tap individually.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
There isn't that much bloatware on my Samsung Note 9 that I had to do anything with. Honestly, I just had to disable Verizon Cloud storage, as that was draining the battery way too fast. Saw today that the iPhone 12 has a Mini version coming out, and I'm gonna get that next. I just don't need that big of a phone anymore, and so I look forward to a powerful phone in a small package. Going back to the Apple eco system should be interesting.
This is what I plan to do myself, going back to Apple. I've been having my Note 9 for almost 3 years and other various Android phones before that. The Note 20 Ultra is nice but I want to try Apple's IOS14. Plus the $1300 price tag is a hard pill for me to swallow for a mobile phone. An iPhone will suit all my needs. Watch YouTube, Netflix and Twitch, texting and calling, internet, social media, taking pics of my kids and a fitness tracker when I ride my bicycle. Thats pretty much it. No major gaming other than FF6 and solitaire. I'm just waiting until Friday 13th to release the other two models and then I'll get it when I compare sizes.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
4 year old phones satisfy those needs.
True but it keeps randomly freezing up and loses wifi signal sporadically. Wifi at work is really good and I can't enjoy Netflix like I want if I keep losing connection. Plus few of my woworkers plays Among US on their phones and been asking me to join them.. Guess I can try it out.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My Mom was worried to try a smartphone because she could barely text on her flip phone. I eventually convinced her that they are actually easier to use than a flip phone once you learn the basic interface and I stand by that, even for elderly people.

Crone

4 year old phones satisfy those needs.
You're not wrong. I too use my phone for similar simple things, and so in the last 2 years of having my Note 9 I realized wtf am I spending so much money on a phone that I barely even use the features? So here I am buying another phone 2 years in when my Note 9 is technically just fine.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
You're not wrong. I too use my phone for similar simple things, and so in the last 2 years of having my Note 9 I realized wtf am I spending so much money on a phone that I barely even use the features? So here I am buying another phone 2 years in when my Note 9 is technically just fine.
Let me ask you this. How many times you used the stylus pen? I probably used it about 10 times or so. Then probably half of the times was I was either placing or setting it back when I dropped my phone causing it to fall or partially come out.

Crone

Let me ask you this. How many times you used the stylus pen? I probably used it about 10 times or so. Then probably half of the times was I was either placing or setting it back when I dropped my phone causing it to fall or partially come out.
Yep, about 10 times. The kids have used it a little more because they like the coloring book app that uses the Pen. PenUp+ or something? One of the pre-installed apps already on the phone for the Stylus. Sounds like we have very similar use cases for our phones and the Note 9 is just too much.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
anyone aware of an app on android that will completely (sorta) block internet access?

We'd switch to a dumb phone but the phone in question needs to be able to text (with a screen keyboard), call, use maps/waze for travel and utilize a higher end camera.

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've had the Samsung S10+ for a year now and I can say it's the best phone I've ever owned.

Jozu

Just bought Galaxy z flip 2.

Device is fucking amazing! Highly recommend even though 2,000 $ is insane.