Smartphones

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
After being with Apple since the 6+ or which ever one was finally made for people with big hands, i decided to go for the Duo 2 - However i waltzed into a BB and fiddled with the Z Fold 3 and even tho i refuse anything Samsung ive been enjoying this device for the past week. Id love to hate it but i just cant :/

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So it turns out that the Pixel Pass has family plans for Google One and Play Pass included, but not for YouTube Music/Premium, which is a dealbreaker for me. I decided to just order a base model Pixel 6 since my Dad has been wanting to replace his old Moto G and he'll get my Pixel 5.

Before you buy a new Android phone, take a look at Android 12. I kind of wish I could go back to 11. Everything is so big now UI wise. It's very ugly. It's UI stuff a launcher can't change either.

I was in the beta program since beta 2 and agree it's annoyingly form over function. So much wasted space all over the UI. The quick settings can't be fixed, but at least a good launcher like Nova can make things better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Last year I went with the iPhone 12 Mini, and I've liked it a lot. I had switched from the Note 9 and just was so tired of the random weirdness I was getting on the Note 9, and just the huge massive phone when I used it for so little. I'm far from a power user. My son now gets better use out of my Note 9 as a game/video device than I ever did.

Anyway, it's another year, and another round of phones are out there, and so of course I've got the itch. On Verizon and they seem to have quite a few promotions and trade in deals if you are not already on their Unlimited plans. I'm not, so was looking at those deals.

I think the only reason I'd ever go back to Android is for the ability to text from a PC. It's kinda ok since 90% of my contacts use iMessage, and I have a Bluetooth keyboard that works with my iPhone or iPad, but I really wish that I could do it from PC. :(

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Last year I went with the iPhone 12 Mini, and I've liked it a lot. I had switched from the Note 9 and just was so tired of the random weirdness I was getting on the Note 9, and just the huge massive phone when I used it for so little. I'm far from a power user. My son now gets better use out of my Note 9 as a game/video device than I ever did.

Anyway, it's another year, and another round of phones are out there, and so of course I've got the itch. On Verizon and they seem to have quite a few promotions and trade in deals if you are not already on their Unlimited plans. I'm not, so was looking at those deals.

I think the only reason I'd ever go back to Android is for the ability to text from a PC. It's kinda ok since 90% of my contacts use iMessage, and I have a Bluetooth keyboard that works with my iPhone or iPad, but I really wish that I could do it from PC. :(
I thought this, i was team Apple for last 5-6 years but iOS has its own issues especially if you live in an area with 1 bar (at home) you get alot of surprise voice mails because the phone never rings or text never go through to non Apple devices. Worse ive never noticed wi-fi calling on the shit actually work consistently. Beyond that the phone really hasnt changed much since i first got the plus anyways, meanwhile the fold 3 is just great. Admittedly if Apple made a fold phone similar with the exterior screen id likely go back, but as they adopt everything 2-3 years after android it may be a ways away.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I thought this, i was team Apple for last 5-6 years but iOS has its own issues especially if you live in an area with 1 bar (at home) you get alot of surprise voice mails because the phone never rings or text never go through to non Apple devices. Worse ive never noticed wi-fi calling on the shit actually work consistently. Beyond that the phone really hasnt changed much since i first got the plus anyways, meanwhile the fold 3 is just great. Admittedly if Apple made a fold phone similar with the exterior screen id likely go back, but as they adopt everything 2-3 years after android it may be a ways away.
I played around with the fold when it came out. I like the tech and would have considered it had I not got the S20 Ultra when it came out. I have big hands so the Ultra doesn't feel awkward and the screen is massive for anything I do with it. I usually go 3-4 years per phone so it will be interesting to see what the fold tech looks like in another couple of years.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I played around with the fold when it came out. I like the tech and would have considered it had I not got the S20 Ultra when it came out. I have big hands so the Ultra doesn't feel awkward and the screen is massive for anything I do with it. I usually go 3-4 years per phone so it will be interesting to see what the fold tech looks like in another couple of years.
Big hands is why i got the fold, for the most part i keep it closed since alot of the functionality if not all remains on it then. Id have not touched the S20 just because as a regular phone i prefer an iphone. The sole reason i left the Iphone was to use dual screen phone this year. May do the pixel 6 pro tho for the gf since its atleast vanilla OS compared to Samsung and the crap they load into it.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There are definite issues with the iPhone but the conveniences that it offers I think far out-weight some of its annoyances. Like being able to parse text messages for 1 time 2FA codes and then you can enter them in automatically? Amazing QoL. Seems so little but it makes a difference. Again on the Android side, you have the ability to text from PC and that's amazing too. I've considered picking up a Mac mini or laptop just so I could more easily text from it.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There are definite issues with the iPhone but the conveniences that it offers I think far out-weight some of its annoyances. Like being able to parse text messages for 1 time 2FA codes and then you can enter them in automatically?
Android does that. It takes the code and drops it onto the clipboard to paste automatically.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Android does that. It takes the code and drops it onto the clipboard to paste automatically.

This, and i didnt even know it did until i was logging into bestbuy on the phone - The only thing i think iOS surely has google handled is in the app store - Android app store is just full of all kinda of rubbish and bullshit -

• 1Solidarity

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So I've had the Pixel 6 for a day now and I'm mostly happy with it. Performs well, battery life is good, feels like a solid brick.

As expected, I don't like the under screen fingerprint reader. Placement notwithstanding, the speed and accuracy are terrible in comparison to the Pixel 5. Plus it hardly ever works in bright sunlight.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So I've had the Pixel 6 for a day now and I'm mostly happy with it. Performs well, battery life is good, feels like a solid brick.

As expected, I don't like the under screen fingerprint reader. Placement notwithstanding, the speed and accuracy are terrible in comparison to the Pixel 5. Plus it hardly ever works in bright sunlight.
Phew, dodged a bullet with that one. Couple months back I was deciding on if I should bite the bullet and deal without updates on my Pixel 2XL, or just grab the 4A 5g because of its price. Glad I went with the 4A. It's basically just a slightly upgraded (specs wise) Pixel 2XL.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Phew, dodged a bullet with that one. Couple months back I was deciding on if I should bite the bullet and deal without updates on my Pixel 2XL, or just grab the 4A 5g because of its price. Glad I went with the 4A. It's basically just a slightly upgraded (specs wise) Pixel 2XL.

Curious as to why you didn't go with the 5a. It's essentially a larger 5 with a few minor features dropped.

To be clear on the fingerprint reader, it's useable, just a significant downgrade.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Curious as to why you didn't go with the 5a. It's essentially a larger 5 with a few minor features dropped.

To be clear on the fingerprint reader, it's useable, just a significant downgrade.
I would've, but it came out after I bought the 4a. If I remember right, it was "rumored" but hadn't really been confirmed yet.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Pisses me off that google made the new pixels so large. I had a 3xl for a while but it was so massive i found it a pain to carry round. Pixel 5 is just about the perfect size. Hoping not all manufacturers move away from smaller 6" screens.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Pisses me off that google made the new pixels so large. I had a 3xl for a while but it was so massive i found it a pain to carry round. Pixel 5 is just about the perfect size. Hoping not all manufacturers move away from smaller 6" screens.
I dont understand the hate for larger phones. I am not talking Note size mini tablets, but large sized phones like the Galaxy Ultra. Fits nice in my back pocket, ultra thin aluminum case (not some janky otter box) and it fits easily in one hand with the pinky acting as a ledge underneath. I cant imagine ever going back to small phones again. Different strokes.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
So my Pixel 4 updated to Android 12 and....this sucks ass. Less customization, giant lockscreen clock that you can't change, and the new notification are is now full screen, 0 transparency, glaring white, and waaay less useful than before. Why is my wifi and LTE the same toggle? why is bluetooth buried? Dear god why cant i use one hand to manage my phone anymore? Avoid avoid avoid. This is the first phone since the OG droid where i want to revert to a previous version.

• 1Like