Smartphones

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
After my Nexus stopped working I was forced to pick up a S20 5G and ever since I've been getting spam out the ass. Tonight, they hit me hard with email to sms spam, I'm well over 300 texts in about 2 hours. Trying to get this resolved through ATT currently since only they can turn that feature off. Shit needs to be off by default.

I don't know what the Nexus had that kept this blocked but it should be on everything.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
S22 is right around the corner?

I get a $800 credit towards a S22+ or S22 Ultra by trading in my S10+.

Lose a SD card slot & headphone jack by converting to either.
S10+ resolution is 1440 (60Hz), 22+ is 1080 (120Hz) and Ultra is 1440 (120Hz).
S10+ screen is 6.4", 22+ 6.6" and 22 Ultra is 6.8".
S10+ weight is 175g, 22+ 195g and 22 Ultra is 228g.
Better cameras & processors with converting.

My S10+ still holds a good charge after the recent update and has zero issues.

Not sure if I'm seeing much a reason to replace it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
yeah i'm in the same boat... flawless S10+ and not really motivated to jump into a new generation
I'm looking for something to get excited about but don't think I need a new phone this year, barring now inevitable hamfisted mishap

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
I get a $800 credit towards a S22+ or S22 Ultra by trading in my S10+.

Lose a SD card slot & headphone jack by converting to either.
S10+ resolution is 1440 (60Hz), 22+ is 1080 (120Hz) and Ultra is 1440 (120Hz).
S10+ screen is 6.4", 22+ 6.6" and 22 Ultra is 6.8".
S10+ weight is 175g, 22+ 195g and 22 Ultra is 228g.
Better cameras & processors with converting.

My S10+ still holds a good charge after the recent update and has zero issues.

Not sure if I'm seeing much a reason to replace it.
The S22 lacks an SD slot? wtf? The S10 line was solid (my wife has one) and my S20 ultra is still amazing in my view. I cant believe they dumped the SD. Fucktards.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
Yup, think I'll hold onto it.
If you can get the same credit for an S20 Ultra its a definite upgrade to the S10 line. I dont envision having to upgrade my S20 for many years. Think I am running a 512gig SD card in it. lol, it still makes me laugh thinking about my phone having half a terabit of removable storage. We have come such a long way.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
it still makes me laugh thinking about my phone having half a terabit of removable storage. We have come such a long way.

My grandfather developed some of the first magnetic computer memory. I have an early prototype in my office; it takes up half a wall for a single byte. Progress is cool.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Just a heads up to everyone doing the pre-order deal for the S22/+/Ultra.

If you do it through Best Buy you can get the exact same deal but also get a $100/150/200 gift card depending on which phone you pre-order. It is literally the exact same thing except if you go through Best Buy you get free money.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
If you go through Best Buy you can also apparently do the Verizon deal over 24 months instead of their own new 36 month bullshit.

Too bad Verizon also requires their top level plan for the $1000 deal.

LiquidDeath

So the new S22+ is pretty nice. Getting used to Samsung's UI after nearly a decade with Nexus/Pixel phones is weird.

Anyone know what the fuck this icon means? I can't find a description anywhere and I don't like my phone notifying me of something I don't know about.

Screenshot_20220301-085832_One UI Home.jpg

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So the new S22+ is pretty nice. Getting used to Samsung's UI after nearly a decade with Nexus/Pixel phones is weird.

Anyone know what the fuck this icon means? I can't find a description anywhere and I don't like my phone notifying me of something I don't know about.

View attachment 400997
I googled it for you:

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Good God. Why would NFC be constantly displayed in the status bar?

Also, I googled 'N' in the status bar but I guess I had to add 'weird' to get the right answer.

Anyways, thanks guys.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I think it's so you know if it's toggled on in case you're concerned about someone skimming your phone

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Looking forward to this. Motorola has a way you can shake your phone to turn on the flashlight and my brother uses it all the time and makes me jealous when I want a light and have to go through menus to do it.

• 1Like

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
for some reason, since the last couple of patches, my Galaxy S10+ seems to be brighter and more washed out than normal.
Maybe it's unrelated and my screen is just aging?

Anyway, bit the bullet and decided to redeem my "free" upgrade via AT&T. I was gonna do it via Samsung to get an unlocked phone, but they only offered $300 something in value vs $800 something from AT&T, so I'll deal with the bloatware.

I figured there'd be no difference between processing the order online and going into a store (which I've always done in the past for upgrades)... turns out I'm waiting until May for my phone to be shipped. WTF?

I also got a bundled set of Galaxy Buds 2 for $30. Not sure I need em, my Galaxy Buds 1 are doing fine.

I definitely should have gone into a store... I feel like I'd have walked out minutes later with my phone instead of having to wait 6-7 weeks.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Everything old is new again...

I used Flippy the Wonderphone (imagine Clippy memes but a flipphone) until late 2018 when my boss finally harassed me enough into getting a smartphone, which is the Pixel 3 I still use.

I absolutely need my phone for work though so I could never go back.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got a weird question. Was watching The Raid 2 and at one point the main character takes the SIM card out of his phone, licks it, and puts it back in. He does this at a time when he's under heavy surveillance and needs to make some calls that he doesn't want traced, which he makes after restarting the phone with the now-licked SIM card.

So my question is...uh...what was that all about? Does moisture make SIM cards harder to trace?

• 1Moron

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Got a weird question. Was watching The Raid 2 and at one point the main character takes the SIM card out of his phone, licks it, and puts it back in. He does this at a time when he's under heavy surveillance and needs to make some calls that he doesn't want traced, which he makes after restarting the phone with the now-licked SIM card.

So my question is...uh...what was that all about? Does moisture make SIM cards harder to trace?

Pure bullshit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users