Smartphones

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I use voip.ms. Dirt cheap and no frills website. About $2 per month. Granted i'm a giant voip nerd and don't mind setting it up and using a 3rd party dialer app (Bria).
Is this still the norm? I was hoping the VOIP niche would be more streamlined by now. For example, it's still hit or miss whether a car will be able to tell text and calls received on VOIP are something it should pay attention to.

This has to be wife and soon to be using a phone kid proof. I'll tolerate this shit, would probably stick with Google Voice's rough unsupported edges. But usability and lack of features are deal breakers for plebs.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Is this still the norm? I was hoping the VOIP niche would be more streamlined by now. For example, it's still hit or miss whether a car will be able to tell text and calls received on VOIP are something it should pay attention to.

This has to be wife and soon to be using a phone kid proof. I'll tolerate this shit, would probably stick with Google Voice's rough unsupported edges. But usability and lack of features are deal breakers for plebs.

Nah, probably not the norm, just the cheapest and easiest to setup, resell and integrate into software platforms. I think the integration part with cars would be relying on how well the phone app works. I've never had an issue with calls or text via carplay or bluetooth. For ease of use, I usually recommend RingCentral. Also, in the house, make sure you have your router configured for voip settings. QoS, SIP, Disable ALG, etc...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Pixel 6 is arriving today. Whilst I love the pixel line in general, I don't like the bar thing on the back and think it looks weird.

E1hyFy6WQAEpJPV - Copy.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm still pissy that they did away with the fingerprint ID on the back. My 2XL is so fucking convenient for that, I don't want to give it up. Guess I'll keep using it until the battery gives up. Which it should have by now, given every other phone I've had, but this one is still going strong. Likely just jinxed myself though.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm still pissy that they did away with the fingerprint ID on the back. My 2XL is so fucking convenient for that, I don't want to give it up. Guess I'll keep using it until the battery gives up. Which it should have by now, given every other phone I've had, but this one is still going strong. Likely just jinxed myself though.
I LOVED my 2XL, but gave it up with the ending of support last December or whatever it was. 4a5g has been a great replacement. Basically the same phone that the 2XL was, but with 5G and ever so slightly higher specs.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I LOVED my 2XL, but gave it up with the ending of support last December or whatever it was. 4a5g has been a great replacement. Basically the same phone that the 2XL was, but with 5G and ever so slightly higher specs.
That's funny that you mention the end of support, as just this past week I must have gotten some sort of upgrade (without doing anything at all myself, no upgrade was shown), because my alarms have completely changed how they look when going off. Not a huge change overall, but I'm assuming *something* had to have been updated for that to happen?

I'm still holding out hope that someone will hear my plea and make another phone with the finger ID on the back and front-facing speakers. I'm prepared to be disappointed though.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
That's funny that you mention the end of support, as just this past week I must have gotten some sort of upgrade (without doing anything at all myself, no upgrade was shown), because my alarms have completely changed how they look when going off. Not a huge change overall, but I'm assuming *something* had to have been updated for that to happen?

I'm still holding out hope that someone will hear my plea and make another phone with the finger ID on the back and front-facing speakers. I'm prepared to be disappointed though.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I pre ordered the Pro, getting free £349 Bose headphones is a super deal. I got a free pair last year with the 5, so can sell this latest pair.

My mistake was trading the Pixel 5 for a shitty One Plus 8 Pro.

Also, Google shoving the woke stuff everywhere is annoying

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Debating the Pixel Pass. As a Fi subscriber it would effectively mean I get a new base model Pixel every 2 years for $480. They're giving away a pair of Pixel Buds A if you order by the 27th, which I've heard good things about.

The main annoyance is the loss of the rear fingerprint reader. Not knowing the real world performance of the Tensor SoC doesn't help though.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Debating the Pixel Pass. As a Fi subscriber it would effectively mean I get a new base model Pixel every 2 years for $480. They're giving away a pair of Pixel Buds A if you order by the 27th, which I've heard good things about.

The main annoyance is the loss of the rear fingerprint reader. Not knowing the real world performance of the Tensor SoC doesn't help though.
As a cellphone owner from the days of the brick, let me say that there is no phone that surpasses the Galaxy Ultra. That is all.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
As a cellphone owner from the days of the brick, let me say that there is no phone that surpasses the Galaxy Ultra. That is all.

I absolutely cannot stand Samsung. My sister switched from an iPhone to the Galaxy Note Ultra last year and I helped her through it. Great hardware (though the fingerprint reader was decidedly mediocre) dragged down by the software.

If they made a Google Play Edition (pure android) like they did years ago I would be all over it.

• 1Solidarity

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Barely noticeable moving from rear to screen

Seems like a huge difference for me. I reach in to my pocket for the phone, my finger naturally comes to rest on the sensor and the phone is unlocked before I can see the screen. Plus I even use the sensor gestures.

I didn't play around with it for long, but the in screen sensor for my sister's Galaxy Note Ultra was also fairly finicky.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Seems like a huge difference for me. I reach in to my pocket for the phone, my finger naturally comes to rest on the sensor and the phone is unlocked before I can see the screen. Plus I even use the sensor gestures.

I didn't play around with it for long, but the in screen sensor for my sister's Galaxy Note Ultra was also fairly finicky.

You have four fingers and a thumb. It really isn't as big a deal as you think. Especially with face unlock

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Don't like the bar, but I do like the front. I'd rather have that punch-out camera than the notch.

My ideal phone would have the rear camera layout of the recent iPhones and the front layout of the Pixel, I think.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I know a lot of people hate when politics gets brought into every thread, and I apologize in advance to those that feel that way, but holy fucking shit am I rustled at this page for the Pixel 6 Pro. You can just avoid opening the spoiler if you don't want politics in your phone thread.

Aside from the redhead on the phone itself, there are literally only two other non-POC on the whole page, and one is this ambiguously gay duo guy. Scroll through it yourself and see what I mean. And here are a couple of bonus woke points:

pixel 4.jpg

pixel 1.jpg

pixel 2.jpg

Gotta make sure you get the alphabet community and the drag queens in there, right?

I mean, everyone needs a phone, I get that. But don't straight white people need phones too? Or do they just assume we'll buy it anyway?

• 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I absolutely cannot stand Samsung. My sister switched from an iPhone to the Galaxy Note Ultra last year and I helped her through it. Great hardware (though the fingerprint reader was decidedly mediocre) dragged down by the software.

If they made a Google Play Edition (pure android) like they did years ago I would be all over it.
I love my Galaxies. Maybe I am not a power user or something, but for me they are top shelf. I don't have any real issues with the Samsung Android.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Before you buy a new Android phone, take a look at Android 12. I kind of wish I could go back to 11. Everything is so big now UI wise. It's very ugly. It's UI stuff a launcher can't change either.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Before you buy a new Android phone, take a look at Android 12. I kind of wish I could go back to 11. Everything is so big now UI wise. It's very ugly. It's UI stuff a launcher can't change either.
I agree, I'm not a fan of the icon changes.