Smartphones

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got a weird question. Was watching The Raid 2 and at one point the main character takes the SIM card out of his phone, licks it, and puts it back in. He does this at a time when he's under heavy surveillance and needs to make some calls that he doesn't want traced, which he makes after restarting the phone with the now-licked SIM card.

So my question is...uh...what was that all about? Does moisture make SIM cards harder to trace?
Yea bullshit. Moisture possibly could have “fried” the SIM card but if that happened the phone couldn’t have made any calls anyway.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I vaguely recall the movie, but not the details of the scene... the way it's described is that he takes a new SIM card out of his mouth (I guess he was storing an extra in there) and swaps it into the phone to call his police supervisor. it sounds like it wasn't licked to defeat tracing, but swapped out entirely.

I duno why the hell I looked all this up.

somewhat related

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I vaguely recall the movie, but not the details of the scene... the way it's described is that he takes a new SIM card out of his mouth (I guess he was storing an extra in there) and swaps it into the phone to call his police supervisor. it sounds like it wasn't licked to defeat tracing, but swapped out entirely.

I duno why the hell I looked all this up.

somewhat related

After I thought about it more, I realized that it's possible he was taking another SIM card out of his mouth and that'd make a hell of a lot more sense. I probably glanced away from the screen and glanced back in time to see him putting the card back and it appeared that he'd just licked it. Then he calls the police supervisor without risk of his new mafia bosses finding out about it. It's a damn good movie BTW, both The Raids are.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If you can get the same credit for an S20 Ultra its a definite upgrade to the S10 line. I dont envision having to upgrade my S20 for many years. Think I am running a 512gig SD card in it. lol, it still makes me laugh thinking about my phone having half a terabit of removable storage. We have come such a long way.

Is S20 Ultra a better deal than S22 Ultra?

All I really care about at this point is the camera. I have an S9+ and with S22 Ultra I'm just going from 1440p to 1440p with a slightly better processor I guess.

If S20 Ultra and S22 Ultra have the same camera I might as well get the cheaper one. However if S22U has a state of the art camera I'll go that route.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Time for Story Time With Raj.

Well, I took up T-Mobile on their "trade in S9+ and get lotsa money towards new one" deal. However this required trading in my old one in very good shape. My old one is pretty beat up. Good news is, it's insured, so I was able to request a replacement S9. I wanted to just get it sent to the store but no, it had to be sent to me. I guess after that I can return my current one to the phone company (after formatting it of course) to complete the warranty exchange, and then trade in the new one for the S22 or whatever phone I end up getting.

As you may have surmised, things haven't gone right. When I went through insurance, they didn't give me a chance to confirm the address or how I wanted it delivered, they just sent it to my general building with no apartment number and no signature confirmation.

I was out all day and got an email that it was delivered at 10 AM. Delivered where? Doesn't say. Did they require a signature? No of course not. They probably sent it in the actual phone packaging rather than a blank box, not like there's an epidemic of crime and thefts going on or anything. So I see this email at like noon, and won't be home until 8 PM, so I got a bit of an uneasy feeling in me tum tum.

Sure enough, I get home at 8 and there's nothing anywhere to be found. So either someone got a free $800 phone today, or the UPS driver brought it to the wrong place. Again there's no address listed in the tracking, nothing except the town and "left at front door". There's a foyer / mail room and shit is NOT supposed to be left outside the front door, for starters.

So I called UPS and get more info, but you CANNOT get a real person over there. I just need the damn address it was dropped at and can't even get that.

Requested a $900 refund from UPS' loss prevention claims, though I'd rather just TALK TO A PERSON to find out what's up because I think it might be somewhere nearby, maybe in a tree. Do they not hold delivery drivers accountable for missing stuff? Seems like it'd be no problem for them to ring up the driver and ask if they recall that dropoff.

I dunno whether to contact T-Mobile (who sent the phone), Assurance (who set up the warranty exchange), or UPS (who I can't contact anyway). No matter what, this turned into a huge fuckin' debacle to say the least.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is S20 Ultra a better deal than S22 Ultra?

All I really care about at this point is the camera. I have an S9+ and with S22 Ultra I'm just going from 1440p to 1440p with a slightly better processor I guess.

If S20 Ultra and S22 Ultra have the same camera I might as well get the cheaper one. However if S22U has a state of the art camera I'll go that route.
Seems it's a little late now, but I only commented on the S20 because I have it. The cameras are monstrous. 100x zoom and 24 (or 48 I forget) fps movie quality video

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I think I hate the S22+. I've been using it for a month now and the whole Samsung ecosystem is terrible compared to the Pixel. Admittedly, that may just be because I've used Pixel/Nexus phones for the last 10 years, but it is really annoying. The worst feature, though, hands down is the in-screen fingerprint reader. It is just fucking awful, especially compared to the back of phone reader on the Pixel series.

At this point I'm thinking of unloading the S22+ and getting a Pixel 6a when they come out. That is, provided it has a good fingerprint reader.

Jesus Christ, I can't believe that one of the things I care about most on a phone in 2022 is the fingerprint reader.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The worst feature, though, hands down is the in-screen fingerprint reader. It is just fucking awful, especially compared to the back of phone reader on the Pixel series.
I found the fingerprint reader to be "ok" on the S20. Until I put a glass protector on the screen. And then it went to total shit. It is my biggest and really only gripe with the phone. I have used Samsung Android for years so I am comfortable in the ecosystem.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
So I think I hate the S22+. I've been using it for a month now and the whole Samsung ecosystem is terrible compared to the Pixel. Admittedly, that may just be because I've used Pixel/Nexus phones for the last 10 years, but it is really annoying. The worst feature, though, hands down is the in-screen fingerprint reader. It is just fucking awful, especially compared to the back of phone reader on the Pixel series.

At this point I'm thinking of unloading the S22+ and getting a Pixel 6a when they come out. That is, provided it has a good fingerprint reader.

Jesus Christ, I can't believe that one of the things I care about most on a phone in 2022 is the fingerprint reader.
The fingerprint reader on the pixel 6 is on the screen instead of the back of the phone. Don't know why they changed it but I like the back of the phone for the reader.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

I found the fingerprint reader to be "ok" on the S20. Until I put a glass protector on the screen. And then it went to total shit. It is my biggest and really only gripe with the phone. I have used Samsung Android for years so I am comfortable in the ecosystem.
Maybe that is my problem. I refuse to have a smartphone without a screen protector, even though I made sure to get one that said it was compatible with the scanner. I read 3 different articles today about how Samsung's under screen reader beats the shit out of Google's, so maybe I'm just the old man shaking his fist at the clouds on this one.

Who the fuck uses a phone without a screen protector??

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Maybe that is my problem. I refuse to have a smartphone without a screen protector, even though I made sure to get one that said it was compatible with the scanner. I read 3 different articles today about how Samsung's under screen reader beats the shit out of Google's, so maybe I'm just the old man shaking his fist at the clouds on this one.

Its the screen protector. Without the protector its fine. There are a couple of different types of protectors. My original was thinner and was out before they made the real thick heavy duty ones that dont flex. It wasn't "bad" in terms of the fingerprint reader when you turned up the recognition in settings. The new one with the thick covering is hit or miss constantly. The sonic reader just cant get through effectively even though the protector is "designed" for it. I gave up with the fingerprint. In hindsight I am happy about it because I kept reminding myself I could be forced to use my fingerprint to unlock the phone but cant be forced to give up my pin.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Wtf do you do to your phones that are so bad? Just get a case that raises the screen slightly so when you set it down it never just lays flat on the screen and you're fine?

Wife destroys phones and needs a screen protector but it goes in a purse and rattles around with all sorts of other shit. Mine goes in my pocket, or flat on a desk. Screen protectors are for pussies!

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I haven't used a screen protector in years. What am I missing?

LiquidDeath

Wtf do you do to your phones that are so bad? Just get a case that raises the screen slightly so when you set it down it never just lays flat on the screen and you're fine?

Wife destroys phones and needs a screen protector but it goes in a purse and rattles around with all sorts of other shit. Mine goes in my pocket, or flat on a desk. Screen protectors are for pussies!

It is purely for added drop protection. I've had plenty of small drops crack the protector without damaging the screen, and I still don't trust glass technology on these phones.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I can't remember the last time I used a case. I don't think I've ever used a screen protector. By the time my phone is beat up such that it's physically unusable, the battery is far ahead of it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Managed to resolve that whole issue. UPS did deliver it and it was next door. I knew it.

In any case I got the trade done and got an S22 Ultra, plus a $50 phone case that's totally see-through. $50, seriously? I never used a case on my S9 and it was pretty damn beaten up after a while from the two times it got dropped. The S22 Ultra looks even more delicate so I went F it and got the case. Unfortunately it's pretty bulky now, but I probably made the right decision. I'll know within a month or two if it goes flying and is intact afterwards.

The camera on this thing is incredible for both pictures and videos. I'm taking pictures on the default setting and it's unreal. As for video I haven't tried the 8K/24fps setting yet but I tried 4K/60 and it looks tremendous. I thought 4K/60 would look the best, but 8K/24 is listed above it on the quality tiers. So maybe that one's the best, I don't know. I'll give that a whirl later.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Managed to resolve that whole issue. UPS did deliver it and it was next door. I knew it.

In any case I got the trade done and got an S22 Ultra, plus a $50 phone case that's totally see-through. $50, seriously? I never used a case on my S9 and it was pretty damn beaten up after a while from the two times it got dropped. The S22 Ultra looks even more delicate so I went F it and got the case. Unfortunately it's pretty bulky now, but I probably made the right decision. I'll know within a month or two if it goes flying and is intact afterwards.

The camera on this thing is incredible for both pictures and videos. I'm taking pictures on the default setting and it's unreal. As for video I haven't tried the 8K/24fps setting yet but I tried 4K/60 and it looks tremendous. I thought 4K/60 would look the best, but 8K/24 is listed above it on the quality tiers. So maybe that one's the best, I don't know. I'll give that a whirl later.
I use Atomic Slim cases on the S20 and its a quality case that doesnt add much bulk at all due to aluminum body. Probably available for the S22 at this point.

1649333228202.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I started using cases when I first got a phone with a glass back. Fucking thing is like trying to hold onto a fish. I'm used to them now and just get them out of habit but since my Pixel 5a doesn't have wireless charging and I added it on it's nice to have the case to hold that in place.

• 1Like

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
just got the S22+ and the thing is like a greased banana peel. impossible to hold until I put a case on it.
I went with my usual Spigen Tough Armor cause the kickstand is handy sometimes.
1649344568674.png

glass screen protectors are wonky and film ones are gross. the hard case and corner/edge bumpers have been enough to prevent screen damage in the past.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The Pixel 6 is the same, glass back and slippery as fuck. I've always used a basic, thin case on even non slippery phones to protect them from scuffs and minor drops. I haven't bothered with a screen protector for a long time though. I think the last phone I used one on was the Galaxy Nexus.