Smartphones

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Doesn't look like bokeh to me, but perhaps its a photo artifact of some sort - middle of the top side of the phone in the pic - I assume that little round mark is the dent you were referencing, right above that, you can see a black streak above the metal heading towards the forehead of the phone. Whereas slightly below the round mark you see that black streak go flush with the metal.

It honestly looks like the screen is popped out a couple millimeters on the top half of the side, but as you said, could be a weird photo issue. [I can't see how, but I'm no photo expert]

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My HTC One(M7) is dying. Only charges when it's off...or in car mode for some random reason. Tried all the suggestions and it's just the battery/usb port going down I guess. I'm trying to hold out with it in this shitty form for a month or so until the M9/G4/S6 all come out. Not to buy one of them, I don't need that kind of horsepower, but just so I can pick up a "new" G3 cheaper.

Vaclav

My HTC One(M7) is dying. Only charges when it's off...or in car mode for some random reason. Tried all the suggestions and it's just the battery/usb port going down I guess. I'm trying to hold out with it in this shitty form for a month or so until the M9/G4/S6 all come out. Not to buy one of them, I don't need that kind of horsepower, but just so I can pick up a "new" G3 cheaper.
You tried different chargers? I've had similar issues with the M8, but it always turns out it's just a charger starting to go bad.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You tried different chargers? I've had similar issues with the M8, but it always turns out it's just a charger starting to go bad.
Different chargers in different rooms in different outlets in different locations. Without anything else plugged in. Plugged in to PC. Factory reset, rooted and unrooted, safe mode reboot, every suggestionhere.

It also sometimes decides to turn the screen back on every few seconds after I turn it off. And when it is turned off and charging it charges super slow, constantly flashing up the charging screen for a second before going blank.

I might just go to swappa and get some piece of shit for like $40 to get me through the month.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doesn't look like bokeh to me, but perhaps its a photo artifact of some sort - middle of the top side of the phone in the pic - I assume that little round mark is the dent you were referencing, right above that, you can see a black streak above the metal heading towards the forehead of the phone. Whereas slightly below the round mark you see that black streak go flush with the metal.

It honestly looks like the screen is popped out a couple millimeters on the top half of the side, but as you said, could be a weird photo issue. [I can't see how, but I'm no photo expert]
Nope, that is the light reflecting off the chrome metal strip there. It is exactly the same top to bottom. I'd post another picture angle, but I am at work right now.

Vaclav

Ah, ok, I see it I think now - you can see the frame some from the face, can't you? It's reflecting something dark from above a bit (maybe a fan blade or something) I bet.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Can someone help me out here with ATT Next pricing. So from what I understand ATT has mostly moved away from pushing subsidized 2 year contracts and now want you to pay for the entire phone over the life of the phone (12mo to 24mo.) Also they apparently knock off like $10/mo from your bill? I am grandfathered in with unlimited everything (data/text/call) and while I don't exactly need unlimited everything my cost per month right now is ~$84. Which I'm fine with. Would it be better to still take a subsidized 2year plan or should I move to Next? I am having a hard time figuring out which is actually the better deal. I also don't upgrade my phone too often. If it wasn't for disliking the iPhone5's form factor I probably wouldn't be moving away from it.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Can someone help me out here with ATT Next pricing. So from what I understand ATT has mostly moved away from pushing subsidized 2 year contracts and now want you to pay for the entire phone over the life of the phone (12mo to 24mo.) Also they apparently knock off like $10/mo from your bill? I am grandfathered in with unlimited everything (data/text/call) and while I don't exactly need unlimited everything my cost per month right now is ~$84. Which I'm fine with. Would it be better to still take a subsidized 2year plan or should I move to Next? I am having a hard time figuring out which is actually the better deal. I also don't upgrade my phone too often. If it wasn't for disliking the iPhone5's form factor I probably wouldn't be moving away from it.
Move to Next if you want to actually buy the phone from AT&T. You aren't locked into a contract and their bill discount ends up being more than the subsidy over 2 years.

Or just buy an OPO and save 300 dollars.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
My 3 year contract with Bell just ended and I've been looking for a new one. My old contract was 54$ a month and something similar now with the new 2 year contracts was around 85$. Checked out the way of prepaid and god damn, once it's all said and done It's costing me 30-35 bucks a month pending usage. Granted there's no phone subsidy, but that's just a stupid difference, that's 1200-1300$ over two years, not counting activation fees and extra cash down for the phone that comes with a contract.

jrbuddha

Silver Knight of the Realm
Anyone used a one plus one that could give a yea or nay on them? My HTC one M7 is nearing the end of its life so finally going to upgrade in the next week or so.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Love mine. Depending on your needs you could wait for the next iteration which should be fairly soon (couple months). Second hand units will be flooding eBay soon.

Mageling

Anyone used a one plus one that could give a yea or nay on them? My HTC one M7 is nearing the end of its life so finally going to upgrade in the next week or so.
As people here know, I tend to go through phones quickly, so hopefully I can shed a bit of insight into how you may feel about the OPO.

I've owned (and really liked) the M7, and felt that it was about the "right" size for a phone considering my usage. I personally don't mind a smaller screen, which I'd say is 5" or smaller. As you may have guessed, the OPO is outside that size range, but I had the opportunity to purchase one and jumped straight away considering the specs and assumed quick upgrades.

I made it through about 3 months using the OPO before deciding that it was a bit too large and opting to use my older N5 again. While having the capacitive buttons or on-screen was neat in theory, it suffered the same type of height problems that I felt about the M7.

It may be that I have smaller hands, but I never felt totally comfortable using the OPO with a single hand. The "Sandstone" feel of the device was second only to the newer all-metal phones that we see being produced, except it stayed put in my hand for the most part. Mine was out of the first batches of the devices, but I recall hearing something about the feel of the back plates having changed sometime around November.

In regards to performance, the OPO was a beast when it was released. Currently we're starting to see the next generation of devices being launched, but I would say the Snapdragon 805 is still an incredibly capable device, and will remain so for another 2+ years depending on what we see the mobile world do. I think it is a safe bet to believe we are seeing smaller iterations in performance, and it will be another 1.5-2 years before we really see 64-bit architecture become the norm for Android.

I was underwhelmed by the screen if I'm honest, and the capactive buttons at the bottom were turned off immediately, as the backlighting made them seem an afterthought instead of a design choice. Mine were hard to see in darker rooms. If you were looking to use them in the daytime? Good luck.

All of these things considered, I still don't think you can buy a new device for a better price right now. There were a few things that bugged me about the OPO, but they likely aren't deal-breakers for most other people. I did love the near-stock Android experience, and CM11S was a pleasure to use. For instance, I absolutely loved the stock lockscreen.

You could be way worse off spending the $350 or so on the OPO for a new device, or even check out Swappa, though it looks like they're hovering around $325-350, so you may be better off purchasing new.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Have had an OPO, my first android phone, for a few months at this point and I still love it. Mage has some valid critiques but who cares about the soft key backlights, you don't need to see them ever.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
One minor correction: the OPO has the Snapdragon 801 processor.

As for 6 inch devices, you really have to use one to see if the size is right for you. I never looked back after getting my first 6 inch device.

Mageling

One minor correction: the OPO has the Snapdragon 801 processor.

As for 6 inch devices, you really have to use one to see if the size is right for you. I never looked back after getting my first 6 inch device.
Ahh, you're right. I don't know why I thought 805.

I didn't mean to make those few quibbles sound like dealbreakers, I just have little girl hands and prefer sub 5" devices since I always have my N7 or iPad Mini with me, as I'd rather read on that than a mobile phone. I stand by saying that you won't find better value right now if you're looking for a new-in-box device.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
OPO is great phone but wait for the next model to come out. You get Oxygen OS by default and better hardware. Speaking of Oxygen OS where is the update to CM?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Oxygen OS got delayed, but I haven't heard anything about CM. I'm wondering if they might try skipping 5.0.2 and going straight to 5.1 for the official OPO release.

As far as the OPO itself is concerned, it's a great phone, I've been very happy with mine.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I thought I recall seeing end of April for release of lollipop. The nightly builds are out and quite stable. Also check out Exodus vanir.

Double check device firmware or you'll have issues.

Mageling

I thought I recall seeing end of April for release of lollipop. The nightly builds are out and quite stable. Also check out Exodus vanir.

Double check device firmware or you'll have issues.
CM12S and OxygenOS were supposed to be released today, according to most of the tech blogs and OnePlus forums. They are waiting on Google approval for GApps.

OnePlus misses promised OxygenOS release date of March 27 | Android Central

edit: Looks like CM12S is on a different development schedule and doesn't have an estimated release date.