Smartphones

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge yesterday.

Appears to be very fast and responsive. Swaps images faster than my S4 did. No lag what so ever on scrolling anything. Downloads things off wifi as fast as my computer.

Downside is that similarly to the Iphones, the battery is locked away, so can't just swap it.

Anyone have one and know of any must have apps for it?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im sure there will be videos on how to replace that shit, if there isnt already. What really sucks is they cannot be expanded with a memory card.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah the disappearance of the SD card slot is the most alarming new trend in phones. IDGAF about the battery being removable or not, I've never swapped out a battery in any phone I've owned in the past several years.

I refuse to pay a $100-$200 premium to go from 32GB of internal memory to 64GB, when you can buy a 32GB micro SD card for like $10 nowadays.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I have never wanted to replace a battery and I've never filled up my phone's internal storage. Have had my OPO for a while now and I've still got 30GB available. WTF do people store on their phones?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
WTF do people store on their phones?
Games?
smile.png

I bought Xcom and FF 6 yesterday. That's 4 gigs.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge yesterday.

Appears to be very fast and responsive. Swaps images faster than my S4 did. No lag what so ever on scrolling anything. Downloads things off wifi as fast as my computer.

Downside is that similarly to the Iphones, the battery is locked away, so can't just swap it.

Anyone have one and know of any must have apps for it?
I have the S6 and I am stillblown away by it. I thought the battery would be an issue too, but I seem to always have more than 50% battery left on a day's use. I do not think I have used my USB car charger since I bought the thing! It has exceptional daily battery life.

Im sure there will be videos on how to replace that shit, if there isnt already. What really sucks is they cannot be expanded with a memory card.
This is certainly the biggest down side. Micro SD memory is dirt cheap and I had a 64GB card in my old S5 that I paid something like $25 for off of Amazon.

Despite that, still no regrets with the phone at all.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I hate gaming on my phone so I guess I didn't consider that. I don't often have a game installed on my phone for more than a few months even if I really like it. Lately I've just been streaming my PC games to my phone using Moonlight and using SixAxis to pair my dualshock 4.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Does anyone know if a blacklisted hybrid phone can be used on a carrier with a different network? Like how iPhone 6 can be unlocked to GSM or CDMA? Trying to find out if the my stolen phone can be used on another network even though I blacklisted it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
What's the draw of Project Fi? Looks to be substantially more expensive than T-Mobile's $30/month plan. Unless you use less than 1GB of data, I suppose.
Draw for me is the hopefully seamless transitioning between TMO, Sprint, and WiFi calling. But yeah, I don't use a whole lot of data.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How do I view PDFs on a windows phone? I tried File Explorer Plus, I can't find them anywhere in the folders, and I can't find the folders if FE+ in Windows explorer to copy them there.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Draw for me is the hopefully seamless transitioning between TMO, Sprint, and WiFi calling. But yeah, I don't use a whole lot of data.
Same for myself. I like the idea of having wider coverage and coverage anywhere I have wifi access, which is everywhere. I am 3 weeks into my first month of Fi and have used 125MB of data.

I don't travel, I don't have children, I don't play games on my phone, and I basically have wifi at home, work, restaurants, and shopping locations that keep me blanketed. I am hoping this leads to a sub $30/mo cell phone with decent coverage. In theory, the services Google offers will only get better as well as they will have to compete with the carrier plans coming down anyway if they are out of whack.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just to point out, since Fi invites seems scarce ATM, you can get wifi coverage via Google Voice already. Just pay $20(once) to transfer your cell number to google voice. Downside is that it will use your data connection when receiving a call on your cell network, and that still kinda sucks for voice quality. Really wish Hangouts was smart enough to tell you're not on wifi and route the call through to your (non google voice)cell network number.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Downside is that it will use your data connection when receiving a call on your cell network, and that still kinda sucks for voice quality.
GV doesn't use data by default for incoming calls. There's an option in Hangouts that you have to enable for that. Outgoing calls also go via your phone plan when you place them using the phone's dialer and via data if you use the hangouts dialer.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Just to point out, since Fi invites seems scarce ATM, you can get wifi coverage via Google Voice already. Just pay $20(once) to transfer your cell number to google voice. Downside is that it will use your data connection when receiving a call on your cell network, and that still kinda sucks for voice quality. Really wish Hangouts was smart enough to tell you're not on wifi and route the call through to your (non google voice)cell network number.
I'd get a new number and keep your options open. GV forwards calls perfectly and I'd rather deal with the cell networks than data which is can be an issue with both Sprint and Tmobile depending on where you are.

No one even knows my real cell number because I've only given out my GV number for the last however many years its been around. Works perfectly and when I swap carriers, phones or numbers for whatever reason the process is seamless.