Smartphones

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Well I got too antsy waiting for Soy to message me back and ordered a Moto X Pure. Hopefully it doesn't take forever to get here.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You might want to pester them. I ordered my wife's on the 9th and it shipped out today, due for delivery on Monday.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I have. I think the problem is I ordered Black on black with silver which what Amazon was selling and perhaps bestbuy so the first batches of those went to the retailers and now I'm stuck waiting for the batch due on the 21st to finish. We'll see. There are quite a few people on XDA that ordered when I did and haven't gotten their device yet while others that ordered later have. Maybe Moto decided on LIFO for ordering who the hell knows.

Honestly I don't care. If it goes much past the nexus announcement Moto runs the risk of me just getting a RMA and sending the stupid thing back to them.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
One thing I can't stand is this goddamn self correcting auto correct - there's like 3 settings that all sound like the same thing, no idea which one, just guess until you find it.

It's utter junk, not only does it auto correct correctly spelled words, it auto corrects correctly spelled words, that it KNOWS are spelled correctly (as it doesn't think they're misspelled, but still chooses to change them to other things). That doesn't make any sense.

An example, I spell the word lab, after I space it corrects it to lan...then it under lines lan because its an abbreviation and it doesn't recognize it as one. So why would you auto correct a word that your own dictionary has defined, with a word (abbreviation in this case) that your dictionary doesn't have defined. It's seriously like I'm being trolled, the phone might as well just be having its own conversation.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have noticed that as well recently with auto correct. The phone is trying to have its own conversation, or rather the conversation it thinks you want to have. The auto correction has definitely been more noticeably based on context rather than just the single word alone. Or maybe I am just imagining things.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have. I think the problem is I ordered Black on black with silver which what Amazon was selling and perhaps bestbuy so the first batches of those went to the retailers and now I'm stuck waiting for the batch due on the 21st to finish. We'll see. There are quite a few people on XDA that ordered when I did and haven't gotten their device yet while others that ordered later have. Maybe Moto decided on LIFO for ordering who the hell knows.

Honestly I don't care. If it goes much past the nexus announcement Moto runs the risk of me just getting a RMA and sending the stupid thing back to them.
It was actually delivered today. FedEx tracking said it took less than 2 hours to get from Hong Kong to Memphis. Violations of physics aside, we'll see if the wife likes it or not. I would consider her a "casual" user.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Heads up to Verizon iPhone users...

So there's an Apple promo that you get $300 credit when you trade in your iPhone 5s (I assume amount changes depending on iPhone you are trading in), intended towards pre-ordering the iPhone 6s.

Well, the lovely Verizon call center people with nothing better to do all day I assume figured out that the system doesn't check what phone you are applying the credit too. In store associates won't have any idea what you are talking about because it's advertised as only an iPhone to iPhone trade.

I got $300 credit straight off the full retail price of my new Samsung Note 5 (or can be any phone), and my monthly payments for the phone went from $32 to $16.50, over 24 months, no contract.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
May have to buy that if the specs look promising. I type a lot of emails for work on my phone and while Swiftkey and etc works well, having a physical keyboard will always be the best due to the tactile feel. This could turn it around for BB if it lives up to the hype.

The only thing I am worried about is 3rd party root and ROM support. Since it is meant as an enterprise device, I worry that they will lock it down like Fort Knox due to BB always being known for security.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Those keyboard buttons look really flat and the top row seems really close to the top edge. Have to give then the benefit of the doubt on that since they have always made the best physical keyboards.

Siliconemelons

Those keyboard buttons look really flat and the top row seems really close to the top edge. Have to give then the benefit of the doubt on that since they have always made the best physical keyboards.
You can also use the keyboard as a trackpad - like the passport , more "flatish" keys are the tradeoff for that tech... most users of the passport have no big issues with it vs other BB keyboards.

The entire point of BB going droid is for it to be an "actually" secured droid so...one would expect it not to be a simple walk into mordor and root fest.

I will be getting the venice as soon as it drops on Verizon- barring insane prices.

Also I got a pebble steel, love the e-ink and always on so it first and foremost is a WATCH that's ALWAYS available to tell time at a glance! and its alerts do fine on my limited BB10 hack app, so I cant wait for the droid version so my smartwatch works smoother. The ability to see what email/text/call it is on my watch vs picking up the phone is A+++ even though pebbles are "basic"

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have noticed that as well recently with auto correct. The phone is trying to have its own conversation, or rather the conversation it thinks you want to have. The auto correction has definitely been more noticeably based on context rather than just the single word alone. Or maybe I am just imagining things.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Looking forward to Google's event next Tuesday and the announcement of the Nexus 5X. My N5 is getting somewhat dated and I'd like to replace it with something of a similar size (aka not a ginormous phablet). Hoping it'll ship out soon after that event and not many weeks from now.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Looking forward to Google's event next Tuesday and the announcement of the Nexus 5X. My N5 is getting somewhat dated and I'd like to replace it with something of a similar size (aka not a ginormous phablet). Hoping it'll ship out soon after that event and not many weeks from now.
I just hope Verizon availability is quick, but I doubt it. They are by far the most restrictive carrier out there

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I just hope Verizon availability is quick, but I doubt it. They are by far the most restrictive carrier out there
Switch to the $30/month T-Mobile plan, unless T-mobile is horrendous where you are (in which case, Google Fi!). Now that Hangouts does VOIP calling and text messages, and is natively integrated into your Nexus phone, there's just no reason to use regular minutes anymore. With everything on data, 5GB at 4G for $30 is just about impossible to beat.

Given that the Nexus 5 cost around $350, paying upfront for the device pays for itself within 6 months or so.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Nexus 5 is actually cheaper than that if you go for the 16GB version. But I'm willing to bet that in a lot of places where T-mobile is shit, so is Sprint.