Smartphones

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah 5X and 6P are USB-C. Most of my chargers are just adapters with separate USB cables so the change out isn't bad, just get a couple of new Type A Male to Type C Male cables off Amazon and go.
That is freakin' awesome. I feel a little stupid that I have such problems plugging a damn phone in, but just the way it is I guess. My car charger has a light on it so maybe I gotta get something like that to compensate for my lack of skills.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
You can also get an adapter for your micro usb to type c. I had a few long cords I did that for. I don't need to charge this thing super fast over night so it didn't make sense to buy new cords.

Battery life on the 6p is excellent. At least 50% more screen n time for my use vs the moto pure.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Pulled the trigger on the Nexus 6P today. Hopefully this'll be the phone that lasts me at least 3 years.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
What's so lol about that? My S3 lasted me 2 years. I just haven't found a phone since then that was worthy of hanging onto for a significant amount of time.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My Nexus 4 lasted me 3 years, until I got the Moto X Pure this year.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's so lol about that? My S3 lasted me 2 years. I just haven't found a phone since then that was worthy of hanging onto for a significant amount of time.
Mainly that battery life will ensure your phone will become quite the pain in the ass after 2 years unless you're a very light user. The S3 might be a bad comparison because I believe it had a replaceable battery and even Samsung has dropped that.

Trust me, my gaming computer is going on 5+ years, my car is 15+. I love for shit I buy to last as long as possible. The smartphone market is still maturing and figuring out what consumers are willing to pay and how often. In the meantime, it seems manufacturers are ok with artificial obsolescence. Whether that's purposeful or not(indirectly through overall phone design or whatever), still sucks.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think Jeydax was the guy pricing out a skylake build just because he had money, don't see a guy like that holding onto a phone for 3 years lol

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I got 3 years out of an N4 as well. The main thing to worry about with the 6P is that apparently they are a pain-in-the-ass (if not impossible) to repair on your own. So just from the standpoint of wear-and-tear you might consider using a case if you want the phone to physically survive 3 years.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
In other news, my 6P order with an ETA of 11/22 just shipped with an ETA of this Wednesday. Google must have got their act together for taking peoples money effectively. Exciting.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Does anyone have Tmobile? I fucking hate this pay as you go shit which is really just a pay full price for the phone because most people are too stupid to notice paying it off over 2 years is the same thing.
I need a new phone and have had mine for over 2 years but I won't get an upgrade or anything like you used to get because of all these faggot hipsters who need to get a new iphone every time they change where the headphone jack goes.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So I've had a chance to play with the cameras in both my 6P as well as in a 5X (which are exactly the same aside from some software-driven differences). So far I am very impressed. There is virtually no shutter-lag whatsoever and the focus is incredibly quick. Burst mode works very well but it is easy to accidently do, especially if you are used to your camera-phone taking much longer to focus. The performance is impressively good in low light as well. The only issues I've had so far with the camera is that the flash makes things a little washed out and the stock app is very rudimentary. Also the app defaults to HDR on which is fine for still shots but I recommend turning off for shots of movement and/or people. I would say overall so far the camera has exceeded my expectations, which were both fairly optimistic and also pretty technical since I have a background in photography.

As far as the app, I've been dabbling in a few 3rd party apps to look for something with more user-control and the one I've liked so far is Camera FV-5. Allows you to shoot in RAW, you can map focus and the shutter to the physical buttons which I think work better than tapping the screen (less camera shake) and of course a lot of manual adjustments on settings such as ISO and shutter speed.

I still recommend something like a DSLR or mirrorless camera for more fancy/artistic stuff, but as far as an everyday snapshot taker, I think this is the first time I've felt a camera-phone could replace a dedicated point-and-shoot camera. Oh, and if anyone cares the selfie-cam takes great looking photos but does have a touch of shutter-lag, I'm assuming because it doesn't have as good of a focusing mechanism as the rear-facing camera.

As far as the rest of the phone, I'm pretty impressed there as well. My favorite feature may be the fingerprint scanner which is both quick and accurate. It actually loads the animated gif thread faster than my Alienware computer (which admittedly is 5 years old now). Screen is so bright I keep it at about 1/3 brightness all the time and battery has been lasting from ~14 hours-ish of what is heavy use for me with battery to spare. I haven't had a chance to delve deeper into some of the additional features of Marshmellow yet so no comments on some of those.

My major complaint is the physical button placement. Both the power button and volume rocker are on the same side of the phone about 1/2 way down the phone. With the way I naturally hold the phone it is pretty easy to accidently bump the power button and turn my screen off. Not so much of a problem in portrait orientation, but if I'm holding it in landscape and the buttons are on the bottom I accidently hit it all the time.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
All the keys on my Blackberry are falling out so I need to press in with a pen to type but I still prefer it over a touch screen. But I need a new phone now and I'm sadddd

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have small complaints about those side buttons too. For me they're too low based on how I've always held my phone. Could just tap power to screen lock or adjust volume but now I can't. Will just have to retrain on how to hold it.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I think Jeydax was the guy pricing out a skylake build just because he had money, don't see a guy like that holding onto a phone for 3 years lol
True, but I held off! Why'd you have to put that damn bug back in my brain. Damn you!

Calibyium didn't BB just release a new smartphone with touchscreen/hard keys for android?

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
True, but I held off! Why'd you have to put that damn bug back in my brain. Damn you!

Calibyium didn't BB just release a new smartphone with touchscreen/hard keys for android?
I just googled it and yeah seems like the blackberry priv it's called but idk if Tmobile has it.
They have this oneBlackBerry Classic Smartphone | New BlackBerry Phone | T-Mobileright now.

I'm not sure if that priv one is out does anyone know a good spot to check info on it