Smartphones

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Question: I have a Galaxy S3 on Verizon now through work but am changing jobs soon so I need to get my own phone for the first time. I'm kind of addicted to 4G and unlimited data and would like to keep it. A few family members also have a work discount through Sprint I could get on. Both Sprint and Verizon have 4G in the area I'm moving. Is there any reason to pick one or the other? I've never had to manage my own phone bill before so any help would be appreciated.
I'm assuming that switching phones/plans as basically a new customer now, you probably can't get unlimited data anymore on Verizon? Sprint still has unlimited data, it's just slower than most other carriers. So I guess it depends on if you want to be limited and fast, or unlimited and slower.

I'd honestly check your monthly statements(if you have access to them from your work) and see what kind of data usage you are using each month. A lot of people think they use a TON of data and it only ends up being 2 or 3 GB per month. Accessing mobile versions of websites really cuts down on the overall usage compared to using a laptop/desktop for web surfing. If you're only using a couple gigs a month, then you'd be fine with any carrier, as I think all of them offer data plans at least up to that range without throttling/overage charges.

Neph_sl

shitlord
It's pretty hard to use more than 2 gigs of data on a smartphone, imo. You'd have to be streaming music/video on a daily basis to get there, which is affected by how often are you away from wifi. When I had my unlimited plan on Verizon, I tried to top 2 gigs by streaming a lot of video, but I only hit 1.5 at the end of the month. I think we had one poster back on FoH who said he listened to Pandora daily during a long commute, so he could top 2 gigs.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Hmmm that's strange. Works every time on my Nexus 7... This process ignores the "rollout"

Let me check my steps.

Apps/All
Google Services Framework
Clear Data/Force Stop
Run Check Updates again.

Weird.
Tried it again and it didn't work.

Trying this also fucked up my Google Play Store, too, causing error messages to appear whenever I went to download an app. I had to remove my Google account and re-add it to get the Play Store working correctly again.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Oh well. Sorry about that then. Always works for my Nexus 7.
It's all good! Just warning anyone who wants to try it themselves that they may have to re-add their Google Play accounts in case it doesn't work.

Google must be taking their time rolling out the Nexus 4 updates. I'm sure they'll be up soon enough.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Maybe the phone is being limited by the carrier. Since my tablet is carrier agnostic, it works.

I wonder if you did it over wifi instead of carrier data network, if it would make a difference...

Cor_sl

shitlord
Maybe the phone is being limited by the carrier. Since my tablet is carrier agnostic, it works.

I wonder if you did it over wifi instead of carrier data network, if it would make a difference...
The Nexus 4 is sold unlocked and independent of carriers. Out of curiousity, I removed the sim and tried again over wifi but it still didn't update.

Just installed DashClock, a new lockscreen widget. It's pretty damn good.

_KH9k9pSg051pZRSve6_2qbIQkdWO43Ly3-uyx9Yrxd7ytULRnExAd7HSGY8ds41C6s

Give it a download here -https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oman.dashclock

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The Nexus 4 is sold unlocked and independent of carriers. Out of curiousity, I removed the sim and tried again over wifi but it still didn't update.

Just installed DashClock, a new lockscreen widget. It's pretty damn good.

Give it a download here -https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oman.dashclock
Oh Goddamnit.... 4.2+

Every time I've gone to a 4.2 ROM on my SGS3 it fucks with my EMMC storage. Sounds like I may finally have to make the jump to PAC-Man that's built from the new PA source.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
It's pretty hard to use more than 2 gigs of data on a smartphone, imo. You'd have to be streaming music/video on a daily basis to get there, which is affected by how often are you away from wifi. When I had my unlimited plan on Verizon, I tried to top 2 gigs by streaming a lot of video, but I only hit 1.5 at the end of the month. I think we had one poster back on FoH who said he listened to Pandora daily during a long commute, so he could top 2 gigs.
The issue I have with the new limited data plans is that you are stuck paying money more for less data. I got my nexus right before Verizon switched to their limited data plans so I'm good for another year or so before I'd consider upgrading my phone and have to think about giving up the unlimited data plan now. Really you are right, it is hard to use more than 2gigs and I never do use more, I just don't like their scheme to nickle and dime people and have you pay more for less and present it to the public like it is a good thing.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Also someone know why Google can get away with not allowing me to delete all the Google play apps(movies, books, etc) and shit like Google+ and Microsoft gets hit hard for including their internet explorer in windows?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
That may have been me. I commute about 110 miles a day, hour in the morning, hour and a half to two hours on the way home. I streamed Google Music the entire time including while I was at work. I would routinely get above 4gb a month, and I topped out at 6.5 one month. I really went out of my way to see how much data I could possibly use. When we upgraded my daughters phone it was time to switch to the family plan and I had to lose my unlimited data. Now I am much more conscience about how much I use, but I don't even come close to 2gb anymore. I am on WiFi almost all the time outside of my commute, and now instead of streaming the music I have much of it actually loaded on my phone.

If you work in an office that has WiFi and are on WiFi at home, you really shouldn't have an issue staying under 2gb.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Also someone know why Google can get away with not allowing me to delete all the Google play apps(movies, books, etc) and shit like Google+ and Microsoft gets hit hard for including their internet explorer in windows?
Lack of technological understanding by judges.

Candiarie_sl

shitlord
I'm assuming that switching phones/plans as basically a new customer now, you probably can't get unlimited data anymore on Verizon? Sprint still has unlimited data, it's just slower than most other carriers. So I guess it depends on if you want to be limited and fast, or unlimited and slower.

I'd honestly check your monthly statements(if you have access to them from your work) and see what kind of data usage you are using each month. A lot of people think they use a TON of data and it only ends up being 2 or 3 GB per month. Accessing mobile versions of websites really cuts down on the overall usage compared to using a laptop/desktop for web surfing. If you're only using a couple gigs a month, then you'd be fine with any carrier, as I think all of them offer data plans at least up to that range without throttling/overage charges.
Yeah I'm stuck being a new customer on VZW. According to my phone I've regularly gone over 2-3GB/mo, but at least in this house I'm usually not on wifi because the access point is so far from where I'm usually at and 4G tends to be better at that range. Pulse seems to be using up a lot and I can probably change how often it updates and how big the pictures it uses are. Thanks for the comparison, probably going to stick with Verizon.

It looks like Sprint is a little cheaper, but they were incredibly pushy over the phone and were resistant to even tell me how much it would cost. Just continually saying "so we'll go ahead and get this added for you" without answering. Soooo definitely going Verizon now.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It looks like Sprint is a little cheaper, but they were incredibly pushy over the phone and were resistant to even tell me how much it would cost. Just continually saying "so we'll go ahead and get this added for you" without answering.
I absolutely HATE that virtually any cell/phone/internet/cableTV provider can never give you an honest answer as to what your actual bill will be. You talk to them, they tell you your service will be $75 a month or whatever "plus applicable fees and taxes". Well, how much are those? They'll never tell you, they want you to commit based on the low price they are giving you when you compare it to the FULL price after fees/taxes you are currently paying.

My Sprint family plan with 2 phones is $125 a month. After fees and taxes and other assorted BS its $138 and change per month. I can't think of another industy besides phone/internet/TV carriers that can get away with quoting you inexact prices.

The only actual good experience I've ever had with any of these types of companies is DirecTV. When I switched to them about 6 months ago from cable, they told me that my bill would be $51.40 per month for the first 10 months, and by god it's been exactly that every single month. They even allowed me to pro-rate a sports channel that I didn't have for 1 day in order to watch a football game I wanted to see. Rather than charging me $6.99 for a month of the channel, they charged me 23 cents since I only wanted it for one day.

DirecTV rocks

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'll take DTV's excellent customer service and the 3 minutes a year I can't watch TV due to weather over Comcast any day.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Lack of technological understanding by judges.
I think it has more to do with the fact that Google doesn't have a monopoly in the smartphone market the way that MS did in operating systems back then.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It probably also has to do with the fact that Android itself is open source. Yes, rooting your device and installing a custom ROM will void your cell company warranty, but that's not technically Google's fault.