Smartphones

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Well, with iCloud, when I got my iphone 5, all my apps were downloaded and they were arranged on the homescreens exactly the way I had them on the old phone. All my email accounts were auto setup (not just icloud email), custom ringtones, and every other thing was also put back the way I had them. From what I can tell, there's no android option that is as integrated. If you see my screenshot above, I'd really hate to have to re-do that on a new phone. That shit takes a long time to do.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
BTW, there are two apps in the Play store that will sync your icloud contacts and calendar with android. They cost a few bucks each but they work fine.

fris

Vyemm Raider
Is there a way without rooting to have google play put the fucking music on the SD card and not the internal memory? The internet says no, but you guys are pretty smart so I though I might ask here.
JetAudio Basic plays music from the SD card. I searched a while before I found it too.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
JetAudio Basic plays music from the SD card. I searched a while before I found it too.
I think he means while downloading audio from Google Play. You end up having to /mv it to the ext_sd instead of internal.

fris

Vyemm Raider
doh, i totally misred. i'm guessing no, since googleplay won't play from SD card, i could be wrong on that though.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It's a sneaky little thing. I was thinking my S3 had a great feature in it's SD Card slot, but it turns out it's not exactly plug and play. Nothing you care about saves to it. I'm not gonna fill that shit up with photos, and without putting a lot of effort into it, all your apps, videos and music are gonna save to the internal storage.

Candiarie_sl

shitlord
Had to switch phones, ended up getting a DNA instead of just getting another S3 and am pretty happy with it. $50 instead of $70 and you get a bigger screen with more pixels. I do like the shape of the looks of the S3 more (hardware keys more useful and less dumb, gigantic notification light) but the DNA isn't bad in that regard. I hate Sense though and it looks like the OTA update that went out the day before I got my phone removed all of the easy ways to unlock it.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/19/htc-one-unveiled/

The HTC One was announced today. Pretty much in-line with what you'd expect from the new generation of phones. It looks phenomenal and Sense 5 actually looks like a pleasant user experience. I think they've made the right strides since Sense 1. I'd seriously consider purchasing one of them if they weren't locking down the bootloaders so hard.

I'll stick with my Nexus 4. It's been solid since they released 4.2.2 which seems to have fixed the msm_hsic_host wakelocks that were killing battery. I'm idling ~2-3%/hr with 2 email boxes synced and several apps that regularly hit the internet.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
The HTC One looks sweet. I may grab one when it goes on sale. I know the S4 is coming, but in my opinion, the build quality of HTC is much better than Samsung.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
HTC does build a damn nice phone, and their Sense software has always been top-notch. I just wish they didn't develop phones with battery life/power efficiency as the absolute last thing to consider. HTC has horrible battery life compared to similar-gen phones. They're kinda like the muscle car of cell phones, damn lot of power and performance but at a huge power/efficiency cost.

fris

Vyemm Raider
yeah, either HTC One or Galaxy IV since I'm stuck on sprint. almost wish saamsung would release specs early so i could make a decision sooner.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
yeah, either HTC One or Galaxy IV since I'm stuck on sprint. almost wish saamsung would release specs early so i could make a decision sooner.
Sprint will probably delay selling the S4 so that it doesn't take sales from it's EVO line. It's the reason Verizon isn't selling the new HTC, they don't want the HTC taking sales away from their Droid line. If you recall, Sprint delayed their S3 release.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No removable battery or microsd slot = complete fail like the Nexus 4

Wondering how long until cell companies over saturate the market with devices and kill themselves off.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Can't remember last time I needed to do a battery pull on my gnex. Don't miss the microsd slot either. Both antiquated pieces of technology(in cell phones), so get used to it.

Or just complain each time a new phone comes out.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Anyone here have a Droid DNA? Give a quick review of it.

Since I am stuck on Verizon for now, it is their best Android phone for the foreseeable future.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
No removable battery or microsd slot = complete fail like the Nexus 4

Wondering how long until cell companies over saturate the market with devices and kill themselves off.
It was like 10 posts ago in this very thread I was lamenting how pointless the SD card slot is. The only phone I've seen that actually utilizes an SD card like you would expect it to was running Windows Phone OS.

Candiarie_sl

shitlord
Anyone here have a Droid DNA? Give a quick review of it.

Since I am stuck on Verizon for now, it is their best Android phone for the foreseeable future.
I just moved to it from the Galaxy S3. I have no regrets. Battery life is better. Dude showed me a screenshot of his phone being on for two days. That's about the longest you can expect but if you're just using your phone occasionally then I could see it lasting that long. Using mine throughout the day to get everything set up and reading a bunch on it, I easily got more than a day out of it. I think the hardware keys are dumb. Maybe I just need to give it time but I don't see too much of a use for the 'show all windows' button compared to a menu button. Maybe it's just getting used to it, but the power button being on top of the phone (which you also use to unlock it) is fucking awkward. The S3 has it on the upper right side and it's a lot more natural since my thumb pretty much lines up with it. The increased size of DNA just exacerbates the awkwardness.

Screen is fucking fantastic. Not much more to say. It's bigger and got more pixels. A retarded amount of pre-installed Verizon apps, but that's the same as on the S3. The OTA update last week removed the easiest way to unlock it but you can still do it. I haven't checked on that since Monday. Wifi and 4G reception is better than my S3. Notification lights are hard to see, especially compared to the S3. Sounds like a small thing but it's actually pretty annoying. A lot of the time I just want to glance over to my phone on the desk and quickly see if I missed a call or text. That's somewhat difficult to do on this phone. Camera seems fine but I haven't used it much yet. Check to make sure it feels comfortable in your hand, I can definitely see it being uncomfortable if my hands were any smaller. If it is then go for it, I don't think you'll regret it.

edit: the engadget review covers things pretty well. Also the usb port has a cover that is surprisingly hard to get back in or get out if your nails are trimmed down. Engadget mentioned this and I think it's actually even more difficult than they described, but my nails are usually cut all the way down.